Does anyone on this forum actually care about Syria?

nickle7

Re: Does anyone on this forum actually care about Syria?

Post by nickle7 » Sat Dec 17, 2016 5:25 pm

Montegriffo wrote:
nickle7 wrote:True. And, I suppose this overlaps well with the "the right and the left need each other-debate" thread, but the national discourse on the topic of refugees is so unhelpfully polarized. Either refugees are the biggest problem or there's no problem. Both BS. There's very little honest discussion in this realm.
It's the largest refugee crisis since WWII, if you won't see that as a problem then you are being dishonest.
The figures I gave are where the refugees have fled to, registered or unregistered is splitting hairs.
Of course it's a problem. Anyone who says otherwise is unrealistic. I'm saying that there's also problems with allowing refugees in. That's not to say we don't allow any in, but it does mean that we have an honest conversation about those problems.
Seek how to think, not what to think.

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Sat Dec 17, 2016 5:31 pm

Well that gets very difficult because words like rapefugee get used and people attack a whole religion as being one of terrorists rather than look at the actual facts.
It is also moving away from the OP a bit and could just end up belonging in the tiny radical minorities thread.
Last edited by Montegriffo on Sat Dec 17, 2016 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
For legal reasons, we are not threatening to destroy U.S. government property with our glorious medieval siege engine. But if we wanted to, we could. But we won’t. But we could.

KerningChameleon

Post by KerningChameleon » Sat Dec 17, 2016 5:31 pm

TheReal_ND wrote:Put them in camps.
The best evidence I've seen yet against the concept of an fair and just god. Cause if he did exist, you would one day find yourself on the run and seeking sanctuary in a foreign land, and find yourself at the mercy of gatekeepers who could look down on you and say "go back and die, you sniveling coward, we're full and you brought this on yourself anyway, dumbass whitebread Christian."
"Old World Blues.' It refers to those so obsessed with the past they can't see the present, much less the future, for what it is. They stare into the what-was...as the realities of their world continue on around them." -Fallout New Vegas

TheReal_ND

Post by TheReal_ND » Sat Dec 17, 2016 5:34 pm

KerningChameleon wrote:
The best evidence I've seen yet against the concept of an all-loving and understanding god. Cause if he did exist, you would one day find yourself on the run and seeking sanctuary in a foreign land, and find yourself at the mercy of gatekeepers who could look down on you and say "go back and die, you sniveling coward, we're full and you brought this on yourself anyway, dumbass whitebread Christian."
Fuck YOU. You thought you would be shoving us in the FEMA camps well guess what buddy you're the one headed there. Keep this leftist shit up buddy oh yeah that's right keep going I'm warming up the oven to 615 degrees.

nickle7

Post by nickle7 » Sat Dec 17, 2016 5:36 pm

Montegriffo wrote:Well that gets very difficult because words like rapefugee get used and people attack a whole religion as being one of terrorists rather than look at the actual facts.
It is also moving away from the OP a bit and could just end up belonging in the tiny radical minorities thread.
Difficult sure. But that doesn't mean we altogether trash the civil rhetoric we can employ to move those conversations in a constructive direction.
Seek how to think, not what to think.

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Sat Dec 17, 2016 5:39 pm

KerningChameleon wrote:
The best evidence I've seen yet against the concept of an fair and just god. Cause if he did exist, you would one day find yourself on the run and seeking sanctuary in a foreign land, and find yourself at the mercy of gatekeepers who could look down on you and say "go back and die, you sniveling coward, we're full and you brought this on yourself anyway, dumbass whitebread Christian."
Good post. Sadly, it's wasted rhetoric against True Believers.
SJWs are a natural consequence of corporatism.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

https://youtu.be/CYbT8-rSqo0

KerningChameleon

Post by KerningChameleon » Sat Dec 17, 2016 5:39 pm

Honestly, my empathy comes from a place of deep selfishness. I look at people who are homeless, or running from persucution, or seeking redress from criminals in a corrupt justice system, or other such deep misfortune and I don't think "they must deserve it somehow", I think "that could be me one day". There but for the grace of god, and all that. And I then think "if that is me one day, how would I want those with power and privilege to treat me?"

Shockingly, the answer is not with suspicion, contempt, and rejection.
"Old World Blues.' It refers to those so obsessed with the past they can't see the present, much less the future, for what it is. They stare into the what-was...as the realities of their world continue on around them." -Fallout New Vegas

TheReal_ND

Post by TheReal_ND » Sat Dec 17, 2016 5:49 pm

No fuck you. They can't drive worth a shit they blow up all the time and they are fucking ugly.

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Sat Dec 17, 2016 5:52 pm

TheReal_ND wrote:No fuck you. They can't drive worth a shit they blow up all the time and they are fucking ugly.
SJWs are a natural consequence of corporatism.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

https://youtu.be/CYbT8-rSqo0

KerningChameleon

Post by KerningChameleon » Sat Dec 17, 2016 5:53 pm

TheReal_ND wrote:No fuck you. They can't drive worth a shit they blow up all the time and they are fucking ugly.
But enough about the average US citizen. :lol: