Barack Obama's Legacy -- How strong of a President is he historically?

C-Mag

Re: Barack Obama's Legacy -- How strong of a President is he historically?

Post by C-Mag » Sat May 12, 2018 12:43 pm

clubgop wrote:
Likewise, here we are. Progressivism is a dead ideology, after a century it's morphed in Social Justice and taken to it's logical conclusion it is untenable. Enter Trump, the agent of change.
Has social justice reached it logical conclusion? I think there is a lot of crazy to come. You might be right that people are not tolerating it anymore but what alternative do they have? I still see a seesaw for the next foreseeable future. We are too polarized to flip one way or another and fucking idiots that have the nerve to call other people idiots don't know what primary elections much less actually participate in them.
IMO, it's thrashing through it's inglorious death. Like landing a live Halibut in your boat.
PLATA O PLOMO

Don't fear authority, Fear Obedience

clubgop

Post by clubgop » Sat May 12, 2018 12:50 pm

C-Mag wrote:
clubgop wrote:
Likewise, here we are. Progressivism is a dead ideology, after a century it's morphed in Social Justice and taken to it's logical conclusion it is untenable. Enter Trump, the agent of change.
Has social justice reached it logical conclusion? I think there is a lot of crazy to come. You might be right that people are not tolerating it anymore but what alternative do they have? I still see a seesaw for the next foreseeable future. We are too polarized to flip one way or another and fucking idiots that have the nerve to call other people idiots don't know what primary elections much less actually participate in them.
IMO, it's thrashing through it's inglorious death. Like landing a live Halibut in your boat.
I figured you would say something like that, not saying I disagree I am just unconvinced. When the GCF wants to chastise Utah HS Seniors for wearing a prom dress of a certain extraction the crazy has not abated.

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Sat May 12, 2018 1:00 pm

By 2030 Progressivism and Social Justice will be kicked back in the gutter.
PLATA O PLOMO

Don't fear authority, Fear Obedience

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Sat May 12, 2018 1:11 pm

C-Mag wrote:By 2030 Progressivism and Social Justice will be kicked back in the gutter.

By the 2050s, most of the liberal genetics will be extinct.

Give them the freedom and technology to not breed, or to kill their babies, and there won't be any liberals left after a few generations.

Ex-California

Post by Ex-California » Sat May 12, 2018 1:42 pm

C-Mag wrote:By 2030 Progressivism and Social Justice will be kicked back in the gutter.
Or it could be like Canada

No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Sat May 12, 2018 2:46 pm

C-Mag wrote:
GrumpyCatFace wrote:
C-Mag wrote: Things will be broken by Trump, some may be hard to fix, but there will be a rejuvination.
Once again, I’m a bit stunned by your optimism. I’d like for you to be right, but unless people suddenly pay attention to congressional elections, it’s all of the downside without the benefits.
I'm short term pessimistic, long term optimistic.
My beliefs are an amalgamation of looking at history and watching current events closely for the last 15 years +/-.

It seems obvious to me that we are in a period of political upheval and change. As far as the US goes, I reject this idea of the 'party switch'. However, what I do see is one party dominating US politics for several generations which results in that party becoming the entrenched establishment. The party in power can't avoid becoming the Deep State, intermeshed with crony capitalism, dominating the press and culture.

Eventually, after several generations, the people can no longer ignore the deep state because it no longer serves them, only it's own interests. The young Democrat party whipped the Whigs until 1860, over that time the party morphed until the Democrats of 1860 really didn't resemble its Jeffersonian Roots. The GOP had their period until the Great Depression and FDR. The GOP was too old, tired and tied into the establishment to be able to avoid the crash or do much about it once it happend.

Trump's policies are his long held views, look at interviews with him from the 80s. They also mirror views of the middle class and working class. I believe this is due to Trump's father who was self made and instilled those values in his son. Like it or not, Trump is reshaping American policy away from Progressivism and Social Justice. Personally I think that is really important, even if some eggs get broken.
I would agree, but he hasn’t been tested by a real crisis, that wasn’t of his own making. When shit jumps off, those eggs will be a lot more valuable.

I genuinely hope you’re right, and I’m wrong, btw.
SJWs are a natural consequence of corporatism.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

https://youtu.be/CYbT8-rSqo0

clubgop

Post by clubgop » Sat May 12, 2018 3:59 pm

GrumpyCatFace wrote:
C-Mag wrote:
GrumpyCatFace wrote:
Once again, I’m a bit stunned by your optimism. I’d like for you to be right, but unless people suddenly pay attention to congressional elections, it’s all of the downside without the benefits.
I'm short term pessimistic, long term optimistic.
My beliefs are an amalgamation of looking at history and watching current events closely for the last 15 years +/-.

It seems obvious to me that we are in a period of political upheval and change. As far as the US goes, I reject this idea of the 'party switch'. However, what I do see is one party dominating US politics for several generations which results in that party becoming the entrenched establishment. The party in power can't avoid becoming the Deep State, intermeshed with crony capitalism, dominating the press and culture.

Eventually, after several generations, the people can no longer ignore the deep state because it no longer serves them, only it's own interests. The young Democrat party whipped the Whigs until 1860, over that time the party morphed until the Democrats of 1860 really didn't resemble its Jeffersonian Roots. The GOP had their period until the Great Depression and FDR. The GOP was too old, tired and tied into the establishment to be able to avoid the crash or do much about it once it happend.

Trump's policies are his long held views, look at interviews with him from the 80s. They also mirror views of the middle class and working class. I believe this is due to Trump's father who was self made and instilled those values in his son. Like it or not, Trump is reshaping American policy away from Progressivism and Social Justice. Personally I think that is really important, even if some eggs get broken.
I would agree, but he hasn’t been tested by a real crisis, that wasn’t of his own making. When shit jumps off, those eggs will be a lot more valuable.

I genuinely hope you’re right, and I’m wrong, btw.
By this point you should own the u-haul to keep moving the goalpost.

Okeefenokee

Post by Okeefenokee » Sat May 12, 2018 5:28 pm

California wrote:
PartyOf5 wrote:
GrumpyCatFace wrote:Jeeeeez guys.

We seem to be working from different definitions of Statesman here.

I just meant that he brought dignity to the office, and by extension, the nation. And that won’t happen again anytime soon.
I get what you mean by statesman. Things like the whole beer summit and apology tour were not acts of a great statesman. He put on a great show for the fans, and the media helped him out immensely with this.

Saying he was the last one is a silly thing to say. There has been exactly 1 POTUS since Obama. Now your goalposts are already moving from "the last one" to "won't happen again soon". You don't know jack about that. Someone like Obama could come up from the Democratic party. Unless by no time soon you admit that Trump is in for 8 years. :D
Is being a statesman simply someone being able to put on a good show?
Seems to be so. Pretty sorry mark to be aiming for.
GrumpyCatFace wrote:Dumb slut partied too hard and woke up in a weird house. Ran out the door, weeping for her failed life choices, concerned townsfolk notes her appearance and alerted the fuzz.

viewtopic.php?p=60751#p60751

Okeefenokee

Post by Okeefenokee » Sat May 12, 2018 5:30 pm

GrumpyCatFace wrote:Dumb slut partied too hard and woke up in a weird house. Ran out the door, weeping for her failed life choices, concerned townsfolk notes her appearance and alerted the fuzz.

viewtopic.php?p=60751#p60751

PartyOf5

Post by PartyOf5 » Fri May 18, 2018 6:19 am

Montegriffo wrote:
Thu May 10, 2018 8:04 am
Avoided Scandal.
Even if you believe he avoided scandal prior to this, the revelations of having he FBI having spies within Trump's campaign are proving to be a significant scandal by itself.