Europe, Boring Until it's Not

C-Mag

Re: Europe, Boring Until it's Not

Post by C-Mag » Mon Nov 26, 2018 11:10 am

Montegriffo wrote:
Mon Nov 26, 2018 11:05 am
I don't like high diesel prices either. I understand the reason for high taxes on fossil fuels though and I'm not about to start rioting about it.
I just make sure I don't waste fuel so I have to buy as little as possible.
European cars have always led the way in terms of fuel efficiency which is a positive effect of high fuel prices.
It's hard being green.

The French on the other hand treat rioting as a national pastime and will get to it "at the drop of a beret".
They were setting fire to lorries full of sheep not long ago to protest the high price of lamb.
Always good to get a Euro POV on this stuff.

Hard Being Green eh ? Is there a point that Climate Change Taxes are just too high for you ?

In watching many of these videos there is a populist, anti-elitist bent to these riots.
PLATA O PLOMO

Don't fear authority, Fear Obedience

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Mon Nov 26, 2018 11:34 am

European cars do not fucking lead the way at anything, especially not fuel efficiency. Japan, motherfucker.

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Mon Nov 26, 2018 11:36 am

C-Mag wrote:
Mon Nov 26, 2018 11:10 am
Montegriffo wrote:
I don't like high diesel prices either. I understand the reason for high taxes on fossil fuels though and I'm not about to start rioting about it.
I just make sure I don't waste fuel so I have to buy as little as possible.
European cars have always led the way in terms of fuel efficiency which is a positive effect of high fuel prices.
It's hard being green.

The French on the other hand treat rioting as a national pastime and will get to it "at the drop of a beret".
They were setting fire to lorries full of sheep not long ago to protest the high price of lamb.
Always good to get a Euro POV on this stuff.

Hard Being Green eh ? Is there a point that Climate Change Taxes are just too high for you ?

In watching many of these videos there is a populist, anti-elitist bent to these riots.
Meh, just some far left or far right nutters taking advantage of genuine concerns from small hauliers about high fuel prices.

There will come a time when I just can't afford to buy diesel. I'm hoping that electric vehicles will be affordable by then.
I remember my father saying that it cost a week's wages to fill the tank of his first car. I can now fill my car for less than half a days wages so it is all relative.
For legal reasons, we are not threatening to destroy U.S. government property with our glorious medieval siege engine. But if we wanted to, we could. But we won’t. But we could.

Otern

Post by Otern » Mon Nov 26, 2018 1:30 pm

Montegriffo wrote:
source?

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Mon Nov 26, 2018 1:33 pm

Otern wrote:
Mon Nov 26, 2018 1:30 pm
Montegriffo wrote:
source?
For the setting fire to sheep or my opinion on their love of rioting?
For legal reasons, we are not threatening to destroy U.S. government property with our glorious medieval siege engine. But if we wanted to, we could. But we won’t. But we could.

Otern

Post by Otern » Mon Nov 26, 2018 1:46 pm

I don't think those protests are primarily about gas prices.

The rural vs urban divide in France is fucking insane. And the increased gas prices, which do hit rural people harder than urban people, is just the icing on the cake.

Farmers here are pissed off because of bad rural politics decided by urbanites. But it's nothing compared to France. They'll spray down town halls in cow shit as a protest, riot, fight. French ruralites are some of the most pissed off people in the World.

They're not that pissed off because of a small tax on gasoline. It's not a single issue. They're angry because they've never had any representation in politics. There's very little decentralized drive in any of the French blocks, so the rural areas gets the shit every damn time. Conservative governments fuck them over, then liberals take over, and keep fucking them over too.

There is nothing more enraging to a farmer than an arrogant urbanite. Now imagine a FRENCH arrogant urbanite. Of course there will be riots. The French revolution was triggered by the same attitudes and total disregard of the "unwashed peasants" too.

Otern

Post by Otern » Mon Nov 26, 2018 1:49 pm

Montegriffo wrote:
Mon Nov 26, 2018 1:33 pm
Otern wrote:
Mon Nov 26, 2018 1:30 pm
Montegriffo wrote:
source?
For the setting fire to sheep or my opinion on their love of rioting?
I find something about riots because of LOW prices of sheep, not high. And it makes sense. A consumer won't have access to lorries of sheep, but a farmer will.

As in, farmers not getting paid enough, while the middle men take the profits. Consumer prices hiked, while the farmers get paid the same or less.

heydaralon

Post by heydaralon » Mon Nov 26, 2018 1:49 pm

Fuck fuel taxes. If anything the US needs to subsidize fuel prices more. Any politician tries that shit here will be riding an eco friendly bus to the unemployment office. They ain't getting re-elected. The only Green I care about is money. Paying more at the pump and lining the pockets of some environmental protection pimp is not part of Daralon's job description. If they want to make electric cars that actually work and I can afford, fine. Otherwise, keep drilling. Put the refinery on an indian reservation to minimize pollution to the American public.
Last edited by heydaralon on Mon Nov 26, 2018 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shikata ga nai

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Mon Nov 26, 2018 1:51 pm

Am away from home with only my phone and I can't post links due to ignorance.
I did Google the burning sheep lorries incident and it turned out to be 1990 so not that recently at all. Over 300 British sheep were killed in one attack.
I did find an article from 3 years ago where French fishermen hijacked 7 British lorries and destroyed their cargoes of fish.

Otern

Post by Otern » Mon Nov 26, 2018 1:52 pm

Montegriffo wrote:
Mon Nov 26, 2018 1:51 pm
Am away from home with only my phone and I can't post links due to ignorance.
I did Google the burning sheep lorries incident and it turned out to be 1990 so not that recently at all. Over 300 British sheep were killed in one attack.
I did find an article from 3 years ago where French fishermen hijacked 7 British lorries and destroyed their cargoes of fish.
Use your reasoning. Do that sound like a protest against high, or low prices?