Public School Education System Thread

Okeefenokee

Re: Public School Education System Thread

Post by Okeefenokee » Tue May 01, 2018 11:09 am

DBTrek wrote:So ... abolishing mandatory education of the citizenry strikes you guys as a good idea, in a world where technology driven economies will rule the day?

I’m not seeing how fewer educated citizens helps us compete ... and I’m on the record as being highly critical of public education and teacher unions. So it’s not like I have a soft spot for the SoE. But less education sounds like a one-way ticket to irrelevance and destitution to me. Take a gander at the nation’s with poor education and low literacy rates and where they stand i. The world.

That’s where you want to go?
I think you're making an assumption a lot of the rest of us aren't.

Just as mandatory, federally managed, public schools haven't resulted in a high level of education among Americans, the lack of them doesn't automatically assume the opposite.
GrumpyCatFace wrote:Dumb slut partied too hard and woke up in a weird house. Ran out the door, weeping for her failed life choices, concerned townsfolk notes her appearance and alerted the fuzz.

viewtopic.php?p=60751#p60751

DBTrek

Post by DBTrek » Tue May 01, 2018 11:12 am

True. That’s why I’m looking for the specifics on what the alternative looks like. Coca-Cola doesn’t have any philanthropic desire to educate our kids. Any education they sponsor will be just as driven by alternative motivations as government run schools.

Home schooling might work for the posh neighborhoods of Seattle, but what does it look like in South L.A. or rural Mississippi?

You guys are A+ at identifying problems, but what does the solution look like?
"Hey varmints, don't mess with a guy that's riding a buffalo"

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Tue May 01, 2018 11:21 am

DBTrek wrote:Africa is full of independent, non-governed tribes that haven’t educated themselves worth shit.

The idea that Alabama could be released from the yoke of Federally mandates education and somehow produce highly educated geniuses seems foreign to me.
Africa :roll: Snarky Comments follow :lol:
The continent that has successfully resisted education, enlightment and advanced civilization for the last 2000 years. I'm not real concerned about the US becoming Africa for the next 2 millenia if Government stops controlling education.

Alabama may not come up with the model that will improve education, but there are tons of examples of non state run education advancing civilization. For me, my faith in the Federal government guiding us to improved education is so low it has made taking the leap into the unknown favorable.

IMO, we need to face we accept Big Brother because of our laziness and fear of not having the nanny state.
PLATA O PLOMO

Don't fear authority, Fear Obedience

DBTrek

Post by DBTrek » Tue May 01, 2018 11:24 am

Is your faith in the Federal government lower than your faith in the average American when it comes to education?

Because I’m not overwhelmed by the educational prowess of average Americans, but the government produces folks that are literate and can do basic math.
/shrug

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Tue May 01, 2018 11:35 am

DBTrek wrote:Is your faith in the Federal government lower than your faith in the average American when it comes to education?

Because I’m not overwhelmed by the educational prowess of average Americans, but the government produces folks that are literate and can do basic math.
/shrug
I'm completely underwhelmed by the average American, taking the entire population into consideration.

I have faith in Western Culture to reorganize and fix shit when they have to do it for themselves. Our problems stem from no self sufficiency ideals(see Jackie Chan's kid). You posted in another thread that you spent last weekend doing Spring fixits around your property. Your not a professional fixit guy. How did you manage to get the mission completed ?
PLATA O PLOMO

DBTrek

Post by DBTrek » Tue May 01, 2018 11:40 am

YouTube vids, dude. I was raised without any training in basic home upkeep and repair. I YouTube like a mofo to fix sinks, install electrical outlets, lay roof shingles, paint exteriors, and rebuild decks.

The fact remains, no one would pay me to do any of it. They will pay me to fix their technology or write about cyber security though. And they only pay me for the latter thanks to my education (multiple technical writing certs), which was only made possible by my baseline public school education.

pineapplemike

Post by pineapplemike » Tue May 01, 2018 11:45 am

65% of Public School 8th Graders Not Proficient in Reading; 67% Not Proficient in Math
https://www.cnsnews.com/news/article/te ... proficient
ouch

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Tue May 01, 2018 11:47 am

DBTrek wrote:YouTube vids, dude. I was raised without any training in basic home upkeep and repair. I YouTube like a mofo to fix sinks, install electrical outlets, lay roof shingles, paint exteriors, and rebuild decks.

The fact remains, no one would pay me to do any of it. They will pay me to fix their technology or write about cyber security though. And they only pay me for the latter thanks to my education (multiple technical writing certs), which was only made possible by my baseline public school education.
YouTube is Awesome that way. :D Need to replace a Fan Modulator in 20 year old vehicle, someone has a video to show you how.

My point is the knowledge is available for free and you, based solely on your personal motivation went and got the knowledge you needed to complete the mission. People acquire the knowledge they need to do stuff all the time. People change professions and teach themselves what they need to know with resources like YouTube and Khan Academy. Logically that model can be applied to education as well. The question is, will anyone ?

Now your profession, did you pay to got to college for that knowledge or learn it yourself. ?
PLATA O PLOMO

DBTrek

Post by DBTrek » Tue May 01, 2018 11:49 am

You have to have some education in both technology and English/communication to write cyber security material. You’re not going to YouTube your way into that job. In my case, knowing a few programming languages, having a CS minor, and multiple tech writing certs was the only path, and a path that still took years once all the pieces were in place.
Last edited by DBTrek on Tue May 01, 2018 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Tue May 01, 2018 11:50 am

DBTrek wrote:Africa is full of independent, non-governed tribes that haven’t educated themselves worth shit.

The idea that Alabama could be released from the yoke of Federally mandates education and somehow produce highly educated geniuses seems foreign to me.

Pro-tip: white people aren't like black Africans at all.

We built schools and universities (which we invented from the medieval cathedral schools) for centuries just fine without the Leviathan state. We need to kill the Leviathan as soon as possible.