How's that Obamacare Repeal Working Out For You?

Fife

Re: How's that Obamacare Repeal Working Out For You?

Post by Fife » Fri May 05, 2017 12:53 pm

Kath wrote:
Fife wrote:

I know what the answers are not. I know what I think is better than state ownership of our lives, and it comes as no surprise: http://www.ronpaul.com/health-care/

Which of these bullet points do you think are wrong? I think they all make for excellent discussion points; and are alternatives to the arguments centered around "federal control or dead people in the gutter."
I'll need more time to digest it. It's mostly good, but doesn't fix a basic problem.

Question - are you 100% against any and all safety nets?
No. I'm totally in favor of safety nets, in most areas of life. Medical attention, housing, food, job training, education, addition therapy, you name it, I'm for it.

I'm a major fan of safety nets.

I'm a major critic of the state providing safety nets. The state's safety nets always seem to cradle the super-privileged and super-crooked.

Fife

Post by Fife » Fri May 05, 2017 12:56 pm

jediuser598 wrote:That's not my angle. When people argue against, say healthcare, they generally stick to the "other". When we argue the merits of healthcare safety net, we should argue as if it were our closest family member's life on the line.

Are you sure about that?

Because if we're talking about my child's life, then you better get ready to wear some chains for the rest of your useful life. When you are no longer useful, get ready to be thrown in the ditch to die.

Instant Hitler's gonna get you, sucka.

jediuser598

Post by jediuser598 » Fri May 05, 2017 12:59 pm

One rule for you and yours, another rule for the rest of us, eh?
Thy praise or dispraise is to me alike:
One doth not stroke me, nor the other strike.
-Ben Johnson

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Fri May 05, 2017 1:00 pm

In theiry, non-governmental safety nets are a great idea.

Unfortunately, this is 21st century United States, comprende?

StCapps

Post by StCapps » Fri May 05, 2017 1:02 pm

jediuser598 wrote:One rule for you and yours, another rule for the rest of us, eh?
That's what happens when a bunch of people get overly emotional about a subject that hits real close to home. Jimmy Kimmel doesn't have a great health care plan, bet that.
Last edited by StCapps on Fri May 05, 2017 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
*yip*

K@th

Post by K@th » Fri May 05, 2017 1:06 pm

jediuser598 wrote:One rule for you and yours, another rule for the rest of us, eh?
No, I agree with him. It's the same reason we don't put the deceased family on the jury.

You have to be impartial without being callous. Nobody thinks clearly when it's grandma on the line. They might get that the other person won't get much value from an extra half million going to get an extra month of not-so-good quality of life, but most won't see it when it's their own.
Account abandoned.

Fife

Post by Fife » Fri May 05, 2017 1:06 pm

No, I expect the sentiment will be pretty universal when you ask any parent to assume their own personal children are the ones suffering some horrible fate, unless you, personally, are compelled to pay some money. You, personally, will be enslaved if that's what it takes to save the subject's child. Every time.

That's what your friend Dan was talking about with regard to torture, his own children, and Instant Hitler. It's a fallacy, and makes your argument a load of hooey.

K@th

Post by K@th » Fri May 05, 2017 1:07 pm

Fife wrote:
No. I'm totally in favor of safety nets, in most areas of life. Medical attention, housing, food, job training, education, addition therapy, you name it, I'm for it.

I'm a major fan of safety nets.

I'm a major critic of the state providing safety nets. The state's safety nets always seem to cradle the super-privileged and super-crooked.
Can you be more specific? If it's not a social safety net, what is it?
Account abandoned.

Fife

Post by Fife » Fri May 05, 2017 1:08 pm

Speaker to Animals wrote:In theiry, non-governmental safety nets are a great idea.

Unfortunately, this is 21st century United States, comprende?
So what? Did the 21st century suddenly make Marxism a working theory?

You should probably tell the Venezuelans "current year," or something.
Last edited by Fife on Fri May 05, 2017 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

StCapps

Post by StCapps » Fri May 05, 2017 1:08 pm

Focusing on emotional issues decreases impartiality and good legislation rarely gets passed in the heat of the moment. Getting overly emotional about health care will not lead to good policy.
*yip*