Social Justice Warriors Thread

jediuser598

Re: Social Justice Warriors Thread

Post by jediuser598 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:37 am

Ph64 wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 4:27 pm
DBTrek wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 4:06 pm
And I spend a lot more time just letting shit go.
That's the strangest part to me, IRL I can walk away and pretty much let it go 99% of the time (it's gotta be getting screwed over financially or outright lied to, to my face, to really piss me off - otherwise it's just "a stupid human disagreement over pointless shit").

Somehow online people seem to really hold on to pointless stuff, and get really really upset about the slightest disagreement.
Because you have to.

Imagine you didn't, what would happen IRL? You'd be damn near non-functional.
Thy praise or dispraise is to me alike:
One doth not stroke me, nor the other strike.
-Ben Johnson

BjornP

Post by BjornP » Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:49 am

I don't think Hobbes anticipated a social space where humans communicated without being able to see each other's faces and bodies and hear the tone, pitch, volume and the range of emotion in the voices of the people we are talking to...

The internet is not communication with "no filter", it is mass communication with too many filters.
Fame is not flattery. Respect is not agreement.

jediuser598

Post by jediuser598 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:28 am

BjornP wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:49 am
I don't think Hobbes anticipated a social space where humans communicated without being able to see each other's faces and bodies and hear the tone, pitch, volume and the range of emotion in the voices of the people we are talking to...

The internet is not communication with "no filter", it is mass communication with too many filters.
Letters.
Thy praise or dispraise is to me alike:
One doth not stroke me, nor the other strike.
-Ben Johnson

BjornP

Post by BjornP » Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:39 am

jediuser598 wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:28 am
BjornP wrote:

Letters.
...are not the same thing.

GloryofGreece

Post by GloryofGreece » Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:37 am

BjornP wrote:

Yea he didn't anticipate that no one did. But he did say what happens without order ....chaos /Barbary / that's the internet hence my statement
The good, the true, & the beautiful

Fife

Post by Fife » Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:40 am

Yeah, that's what ole Hobbsie was preaching about, good old-fashioned "order."

Same as it ever was.

GloryofGreece

Post by GloryofGreece » Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:43 am

Fife wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:40 am
Yeah, that's what ole Hobbsie was preaching about, good old-fashioned "order."

Same as it ever was.
Yea you know a State.
The good, the true, & the beautiful

BjornP

Post by BjornP » Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:19 am

GloryofGreece wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:37 am
BjornP wrote:

Yea he didn't anticipate that no one did. But he did say what happens without order ....chaos /Barbary / that's the internet hence my statement
He sure did. Problem with Hobbes, though, is that he wants a strong, centralized State to apply order in society, for society. Because he has no trust in people being able to govern themselves, no trust in non-state society. I tend to disagree with that. Those lack of filters I speak of a few lines up? Does not imply a desire for more control . It is simply a fact that citizens need to keep in mind when communicating on mass media platforms, iow education. You had a president who said it well:
"I know no safe depository of the ultimate powers of the society but the people themselves; and if we think them not enlightened enough to exercise their control with wholesome discretion, the remedy is not to take it from them, but to inform their discretion by education." - Thomas Jefferson

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:27 am

End result of atheism and the Enlightenment is the Leviathan.

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:59 am

BjornP wrote:

Now we have the sarcasm emoji all that has been solved Image
For legal reasons, we are not threatening to destroy U.S. government property with our glorious medieval siege engine. But if we wanted to, we could. But we won’t. But we could.