Net Neutrality

Speaker to Animals

Re: Net Neutrality

Post by Speaker to Animals » Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:02 am

nmoore63 wrote:
heydaralon wrote:
nmoore63 wrote: All data is not equal.
You don't have to live under monopolies.
You don't understand how libertarians think with respect to the rest.
Who are you to tell anyone what data is ideal?
No one. My opinion on what to value is largely irrelevant.
In the same way, my opinion on what a items a grocery store should stock is relevant, only that the grocery store is who should be deciding that and let the market forces of consumer allow the grocery store that best fits their needs to thrive.
If someone pays for a service, they decide what data is most valuable. If you live in an area with one ISP, you do have to live under a monopoly. Try setting up your own ISP and get back to me. I'm sure Comcast or Spectrum will help you with that...
A monopoly environment will always fuck the consumer. Net Neutrality is a bad solution to a symptom. You won't stop being fucked over by Comcast because you achieved net neutrality.

You have to deal with the root cause.

your opinion is irrelevant because you continue to demonstrate your utter ignorance of the issue with this "all data is not equal" meme you repeat over and over, despite people trying to explain to you how ridiculous it is.

heydaralon

Post by heydaralon » Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:04 am

nmoore63 wrote:
heydaralon wrote:
nmoore63 wrote: All data is not equal.
You don't have to live under monopolies.
You don't understand how libertarians think with respect to the rest.
In the same way, my opinion on what a items a grocery store should stock is relevant, only that the grocery store is who should be deciding that and let the market forces of consumer allow the grocery store that best fits their needs to thrive.
If someone pays for a service, they decide what data is most valuable. If you live in an area with one ISP, you do have to live under a monopoly. Try setting up your own ISP and get back to me. I'm sure Comcast or Spectrum will help you with that...
A monopoly environment will always fuck the consumer. Net Neutrality is a bad solution to a symptom. You won't stop being fucked over by Comcast because you achieved net neutrality.

Repealing net neutrality won't fix the root cause either. Do you really think these ISPs want a free market? They don't. They will bribe congress to prevent competition in their area and the ability to raise prices for subpar service the same way they bribed congress to repeal NN in the first place. I'm not a big fan of gov't, but you are being incredibly naive if you think that these companies will behave in a competitive way all of a sudden. I always hear about Crony Capitalism, yet the solution involves giving more power to the same institutions that were enabling this Cronyism to occur. Why exactly, having more power than ever before, would they behave more ethically? I have not heard a convincing argument for that one either.
Shikata ga nai

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:06 am

This is why the GOP is fucked unless we can purge these mammon-worshiping whores from the party. Net neutrality enjoyed overwhelming support from the American people, including the people who vote GOP. These assclowns get into power and then shit all over their own constituents in their pursuit of corporatism and cronyism.

It's hard to convince people to get out and vote for the Trump revolution when all they see is Trump's appointees fucking people in the ass with this crony capitalist bullshit.

This is going to hurt him. This was really stupid.

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:08 am

They also added a preemption clause that would forbid states from enacting their own versions of net neutrality. That's a real peach right there.

It's crony capitalism. Definition thereof.
Last edited by Speaker to Animals on Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

nmoore63

Post by nmoore63 » Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:08 am

heydaralon wrote:
nmoore63 wrote:
heydaralon wrote:

Repealing net neutrality won't fix the root cause either. Do you really think these ISPs want a free market? They don't. They will bribe congress to prevent competition in their area and the ability to raise prices for subpar service the same way they bribed congress to repeal NN in the first place. I'm not a big fan of gov't, but you are being incredibly naive if you think that these companies will behave in a competitive way all of a sudden. I always hear about Crony Capitalism, yet the solution involves giving more power to the same institutions that were enabling this Cronyism to occur. Why exactly, having more power than ever before, would they behave more ethically? I have not heard a convincing argument for that one either.
Once you have competitive ISP you won't need net neutrality.
Until you have competitive ISP Net Neutrality won't save you from the ISPs fucking over the consumer.

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:09 am

nmoore63 wrote:
heydaralon wrote:
nmoore63 wrote:No one. My opinion on what to value is largely irrelevant.

Once you have competitive ISP you won't need net neutrality.
Until you have competitive ISP Net Neutrality won't save you from the ISPs fucking over the consumer.

We can't have a competitive ISP, Nick.

How about this. WHEN we get competition in broadband, THEN we can start talking about ending net neutrality.

nmoore63

Post by nmoore63 » Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:10 am

Speaker to Animals wrote:
nmoore63 wrote:
heydaralon wrote:

your opinion is irrelevant because you continue to demonstrate your utter ignorance of the issue with this "all data is not equal" meme you repeat over and over, despite people trying to explain to you how ridiculous it is.
I am sorry you are offended by my facts.

nmoore63

Post by nmoore63 » Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:10 am

How about this. WHEN we get competition in broadband, THEN we can start talking about ending net neutrality.
What we?

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:11 am

With respect to the "anti-trust laws will stop them" nonsense..

[quote]Clyburn mentioned that Comcast already deleted a "no paid prioritization" pledge from its net neutrality webpage, opening the door to charging

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/201 ... hrottling/

This order explicitly allows them to do this as long as they tell people they will do it. So much for that bout of "facts and reason".
Last edited by Speaker to Animals on Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:12 am

nmoore63 wrote:

What we?

The whole country, Nick. Just because you live in an exceptional area where these companies have not bribed your state legislature (yet) to criminalize competition doesn't somehow erase the fact that the vast majority of Americans were screwed out of any viable competition years ago.