Minn. officer acquitted in shooting of Philando Castile

brewster

Re: Minn. officer acquitted in shooting of Philando Castile

Post by brewster » Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:54 am

That's a non answer. If we're going to pay them like brain surgeons (we already pay them like Primary Care docs) that's going to take a crapload of taxes.
We are only accustomed to dealing with like twenty online personas at a time so when we only have about ten people some people have to be strawmanned in order to advance our same relative go nowhere nonsense positions. -TheReal_ND

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Fri Jun 23, 2017 12:04 pm

brewster wrote:That's a non answer. If we're going to pay them like brain surgeons (we already pay them like Primary Care docs) that's going to take a crapload of taxes.

No. It's not a non-answer and I didn't say we should pay them the same as brain surgeons. The point I made is that, like brain surgery, policing is a high-risk occupation in which mistakes and poor qualifications can lead to death and injury. I don't think it's as demanding as brain surgery, however, so I doubt they will ever be paid that much. But to continue the analogy, what we have now would be like lowering the admission standards at universities, eliminating much of the coursework and certification necessary to become a brain surgeon, and then paying brain surgeons a much lower salary so that lots of people can become brain surgeons.

The results would be a lot more people needlessly dying because of incompetent brain surgeons.

Yet it's like pulling teeth to convince people that this is precisely what we have done with police.

Martin Hash

Post by Martin Hash » Fri Jun 23, 2017 12:10 pm

The Religion of Force is no less ridiculous applied to police officers than it is to soldiers. It's a fucking job that almost anyone can fill, just not the people who want to do it.
Shamedia, Shamdemic, Shamucation, Shamlection, Shamconomy & Shamate Change

brewster

Post by brewster » Fri Jun 23, 2017 12:12 pm

As I said they're already being paid like primary care docs, or many other professions with FAR more training and qualifications. How much SHOULD THEY BE PAID??????
We are only accustomed to dealing with like twenty online personas at a time so when we only have about ten people some people have to be strawmanned in order to advance our same relative go nowhere nonsense positions. -TheReal_ND

Ex-California

Post by Ex-California » Fri Jun 23, 2017 12:12 pm

Speaker to Animals wrote:
brewster wrote:That's a non answer. If we're going to pay them like brain surgeons (we already pay them like Primary Care docs) that's going to take a crapload of taxes.

No. It's not a non-answer and I didn't say we should pay them the same as brain surgeons. The point I made is that, like brain surgery, policing is a high-risk occupation in which mistakes and poor qualifications can lead to death and injury. I don't think it's as demanding as brain surgery, however, so I doubt they will ever be paid that much. But to continue the analogy, what we have now would be like lowering the admission standards at universities, eliminating much of the coursework and certification necessary to become a brain surgeon, and then paying brain surgeons a much lower salary so that lots of people can become brain surgeons.

The results would be a lot more people needlessly dying because of incompetent brain surgeons.

Yet it's like pulling teeth to convince people that this is precisely what we have done with police.
No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session

Ex-California

Post by Ex-California » Fri Jun 23, 2017 12:12 pm

brewster wrote:As I said they're already being paid like primary care docs, or many other professions with FAR more training and qualifications. How much SHOULD THEY BE PAID??????
He's saying they need more training and qualifications.
No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Fri Jun 23, 2017 12:17 pm

brewster wrote:As I said they're already being paid like primary care docs, or many other professions with FAR more training and qualifications. How much SHOULD THEY BE PAID??????

The kinds of people we have now are not worth what we are paying them in the first place.

I am talking about increasing the acceptance standards to such a point that higher compensation is not only warranted, but necessary to get those kinds of people into the career. You have to make policing a high-status occupation to attract them.

Martin Hash

Post by Martin Hash » Fri Jun 23, 2017 12:20 pm

R U really People-Should-Be-Paid-What-They-Are-Worthing it? Dude, half the time you sound like a Marxist.

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Fri Jun 23, 2017 12:40 pm

Martin Hash wrote:R U really People-Should-Be-Paid-What-They-Are-Worthing it? Dude, half the time you sound like a Marxist.

Uh... no..

I am saying that we should increase the standards of employment to the point where basic supply and demand will dictate higher salaries since there will be far, far fewer potential applicants.

Martin Hash

Post by Martin Hash » Fri Jun 23, 2017 12:51 pm

Speaker to Animals wrote:
Martin Hash wrote:R U really People-Should-Be-Paid-What-They-Are-Worthing it? Dude, half the time you sound like a Marxist.

Uh... no..

I am saying that we should increase the standards of employment to the point where basic supply and demand will dictate higher salaries since there will be far, far fewer potential applicants.
And I'm saying you're overstating the requirements. It just takes someone who is self-aware & not on a power-trip.

People die of stupid stuff every day & we don't go soul-searching why the tree branch was in the road. This officer fucked up; he should be treated like an extreme lack of judgment, like drunk-driving for the 3rd time. The other million times, another officer would have done just fine.