Net Neutrality

heydaralon

Re: Net Neutrality

Post by heydaralon » Fri Dec 15, 2017 6:45 am

Speaker to Animals wrote:YAY! Now we can pay twice as much for shitter broadband! YES! FREEEEEDOM!
That's not what Reason.com told me! They said higher price for a shittier service was better, and the end of net neutrality only rivals the crumbling of the Berlin wall in terms of overall liberty achieved.
Shikata ga nai

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Fri Dec 15, 2017 6:47 am

heydaralon wrote:
Speaker to Animals wrote:YAY! Now we can pay twice as much for shitter broadband! YES! FREEEEEDOM!
That's not what Reason.com told me! They said higher price for a shittier service was better, and the end of net neutrality only rivals the crumbling of the Berlin wall in terms of overall liberty achieved.

When I become WeltFuhrer, I am locking all libertarians in cages with rabid skunks and marxists. It's not as much as they deserve, but it's a good start.

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Fri Dec 15, 2017 6:48 am

I shit you not, I am seeing this "all data is not equal" meme all over the place.

I don't know if people repeating that are supremely ignorant of how network traffic actually works, or if they are just so delusional they have become incapable of recognizing propaganda, but holy fuck it's scary that otherwise intelligent people would repeat something so stupid.

If I generate two sentences consisting of 1 and 0 generated at random but the same length, are they not equal in terms of transmission? Of course they are. All that matters is the amount of data you transmit -- which the consumer already paid for.

Zlaxer

Post by Zlaxer » Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:04 am

How hard would it be to start a local ISP? Would it be possible to start in a single city and then expand out? Seems like a great opportunity....just do an ISP, no cable....I'm pretty sure it's possible to severely undercut the big guys who are saddled with paying network broadcast royalties/licenses.

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:06 am

Zlaxer wrote:How hard would it be to start a local ISP? Would it be possible to start in a single city and then expand out? Seems like a great opportunity....just do an ISP, no cable....I'm pretty sure it's possible to severely undercut the big guys who are saddled with paying network broadcast royalties/licenses.

Dude, what?

You have to run coax or fiber to every house in your market. The houses have to have hookups for it. The cable companies control that. They use the commons to run their lines, and they maintain a monopoly on that, and now they are trying to jack the consumers.

Then you have to have to deal with the companies who control the Internet backbone in America.

Zlaxer

Post by Zlaxer » Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:08 am

Speaker to Animals wrote:
Zlaxer wrote:How hard would it be to start a local ISP? Would it be possible to start in a single city and then expand out? Seems like a great opportunity....just do an ISP, no cable....I'm pretty sure it's possible to severely undercut the big guys who are saddled with paying network broadcast royalties/licenses.

Dude, what?

You have to run coax or fiber to every house in your market. The houses have to have hookups for it. The cable companies control that. They use the commons to run their lines, and they maintain a monopoly on that, and now they are trying to jack the consumers.

Then you have to have to deal with the companies who control the Internet backbone in America.
I've dealt with WAN providers - that pretty easy.....what governs the right to run lines in city conduit?

Zlaxer

Post by Zlaxer » Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:10 am

Zlaxer wrote:
Speaker to Animals wrote:

Dude, what?

I've dealt with WAN providers - that pretty easy.....what governs the right to run lines in city conduit?
Wasn't google setting up its own ISP in select markets or something? I'm just saying - there's an opportunity for someone - if the Big Boys can make a profit while paying out the ass broadcast licneses....then someone should be able to take a large market share by offering a slimmed down network by not having to pay such licenses...

Zlaxer

Post by Zlaxer » Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:12 am

The thing that stopped this in the past was lack of demand because of consumer reliance on cable for content...that's gone now.

TheReal_ND

Post by TheReal_ND » Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:27 am

A fucking round thing!

Zlaxer

Post by Zlaxer » Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:41 am

TheReal_ND wrote:A fucking round thing!

Dam, and you're two hours behind me :Cheers: