Net Neutrality

nmoore63

Re: Net Neutrality

Post by nmoore63 » Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:14 pm

First, net neutrality rests on a false premise that all data is equal. It’s not. A choppy movie stream is worthless. A 10 gig work download taking 12 hours instead of 10 hours makes no difference.

Second, the problem is that in some places there is monopoly ISP, and so net neutrality is an attempt to prevent Comcast or whoever from screwing over their customers because they have no choice. But the problem their is the monopoly, not net neutrality. The problem is simply a symptom created by monopoly, that will simply manifest itself in a different manner, so in the end net neutrality will not help.

If you treat the Internet infrastructure like a utility, as we do here in grant county, then you will never need net neutrality because you have ISP completion and as such could simply change providers.

Whether or not data discrimination is a good idea or not, remains to be seen, but we can only find out if he allow isps to compete, and to squash such innovation because it might be bad is bad.
Last edited by nmoore63 on Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Penner

Post by Penner » Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:18 pm

Speaker to Animals wrote:I can tell you: I paid for Netflix, but if I tried to stream videos at night, Comcast would throttle my broadband to unusable speed until I chose to use their On Demand streaming service, at which point I could actually watch streaming content and use the Internet again. Thanks! Fucking awesome days are here again!!

Yeah, those days are coming back unless the Senate (with 60 votes) vetos this away within the next 60 Days. Better call your senator and demand that they veto this FCC decision to take away Net Neutrality.

TheReal_ND

Post by TheReal_ND » Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:22 pm

nmoore63 wrote:Laura Collins

First, net neutrality rests on a false premise that all data is equal. It’s not. A choppy movie stream is worthless. A 10 gig work download taking 12 hours instead of 10 hours makes no difference.

Second, the problem is that in some places there is monopoly ISP, and so net neutrality is an attempt to prevent Comcast or whoever from screwing over their customers because they have no choice. But the problem their is the monopoly, not net neutrality. The problem is simply a symptom created by monopoly, that will simply manifest itself in a different manner, so in the end net neutrality will not help.

If you treat the Internet infrastructure like a utility, as we do here in grant county, then you will never need net neutrality because you have ISP completion and as such could simply change providers.

Whether or not data discrimination is a good idea or not, remains to be seen, but we can only find out if he allow isps to compete, and to squash such innovation because it might be bad is bad.
Remember when cell phone minutes costed 60 cents? Pay phones were 50?

Pepperidge farm remembers

nmoore63

Post by nmoore63 » Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:29 pm

If we didn’t allow cell phones companies to compete they probably still would...

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:34 pm

tue4t wrote:
Speaker to Animals wrote: If a consumer is using too much data, then charge him for the extra bandwidth or throttle him. There's no valid argument to what these monopolistic network companies want to do.
I agree, the ISP's should not have riled up silicon valley and should instead have introduced data caps and charged the unsuspecting customer more. Funny how that works, the result is the same as the doomsday scenario NN advocates espouse. The only difference being there's no moral colouring to it being pushed by big money.

Consumers lose, but I the ISP escape the hole in in the road ahead that might sink me (nationalisation). This has always been a battle between silicon valley and the ISP's about who pays what for content delivery. You don't fuck with the profitability models of people in money, or atleast you do so planning out 10 steps ahead.

This has been a chess game from the start. The ISP's made the wrong move and silicon valley counter attacked using their position as content curators and distributors to win the PR battle in an absolute landslide using all the same typical activist language, imagery, value hierarchy, moral panic doomsday etc. that ironically also underpins the popularity of social justice. I'm not denying that NN lobbyist groups did an absolutely stellar job. Bravo to them in all genuine respect.
Big points for patience. Once Dwight Shrute starts signaling, you may as well be speaking Klingon, though.

I think it’s more accurate to say that NN makes no difference to consumers. Either we pay extra to the ISP, or for content, but we will most certainly pay.
SJWs are a natural consequence of corporatism.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

https://youtu.be/CYbT8-rSqo0

clubgop

Post by clubgop » Fri Dec 15, 2017 1:45 am

Penner wrote:
Speaker to Animals wrote:I can tell you: I paid for Netflix, but if I tried to stream videos at night, Comcast would throttle my broadband to unusable speed until I chose to use their On Demand streaming service, at which point I could actually watch streaming content and use the Internet again. Thanks! Fucking awesome days are here again!!

Yeah, those days are coming back unless the Senate (with 60 votes) vetos this away within the next 60 Days. Better call your senator and demand that they veto this FCC decision to take away Net Neutrality.

Yeah that was found not to be totally true. Netflix was throttling thier own customers. As for your solution that is not what the millenial dooms Sayers "weesa gonna die" want to hear either. So comcast throttling Netflix is bad but comcast throttling me is ok?
You're not making any friends here.

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Fri Dec 15, 2017 6:37 am

All data literally is equal. It's ones and zeros for fuck sake. It doesn't matter what is in the TCP/IP payload. What matters is the amount of data you transmit, which is paid for by the consumer already. For fuck sake if you don't understand it, just stop. Stop for the love of God.

This is the most anti-competition garbage fire I have seen that was billed as pro-competition. It's fucking absurd. It blows my mind how retarded and brainwashed these libertarian faggots can get. You just allowed monopolies to use monopolistic powers to crush competition with impunity and jack up prices for consumers to boot, you fucking morons.

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Fri Dec 15, 2017 6:40 am

I don't know how much more of this stupid I can take. Some of you just need to stop. You don't know what you are talking about. You just repeat stupid shit you read on "reason.com", that is total garbage.

heydaralon

Post by heydaralon » Fri Dec 15, 2017 6:41 am

GUYS WE DID IT! WE SAVED THE INTERNET! HIGH FIVES ALL AROUND!
Shikata ga nai

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Fri Dec 15, 2017 6:43 am

YAY! Now we can pay twice as much for shitter broadband! YES! FREEEEEDOM!