Public School Education System Thread

Okeefenokee

Re: Public School Education System Thread

Post by Okeefenokee » Fri Jul 21, 2017 4:51 pm

Do you think a person with a college degree should be able to perform middle school and high school level math?
GrumpyCatFace wrote:Dumb slut partied too hard and woke up in a weird house. Ran out the door, weeping for her failed life choices, concerned townsfolk notes her appearance and alerted the fuzz.

viewtopic.php?p=60751#p60751

Fife

Post by Fife » Fri Jul 21, 2017 4:53 pm

8th Grade Final Exam: Salina, Kansas - 1895
http://grandfather-economic-report.com/1895-test.htm

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Fri Jul 21, 2017 4:59 pm

GrumpyCatFace wrote:
Speaker to Animals wrote:That's just kindergarten stuff.

For digital signal processing code used in something like a base radio for a wireless network, you deal with stuff like Fourier series:

For my machine learning code I have been writing the backpropagation library was based on some differential equations and algebra:

What you posted pretty much everybody should be able to do who has a high school diploma. It's not anywhere near engineering-level mathematics.

The stuff I encountered in graduate school was brutal compared to this stuff I posted here. This is just run of the mill mathematics.
Engineering. Not something you'd encounter with a high school degree.

Exactly. What you posted was high school algebra. Everybody should be able to do it.

Okeefenokee

Post by Okeefenokee » Fri Jul 21, 2017 5:02 pm

Fife wrote:Image

8th Grade Final Exam: Salina, Kansas - 1895
http://grandfather-economic-report.com/1895-test.htm
2. A wagon box is 2 ft. deep, 10 feet long, and 3 ft. wide. How many bushels of wheat will it hold?
:lol:
GrumpyCatFace wrote:Dumb slut partied too hard and woke up in a weird house. Ran out the door, weeping for her failed life choices, concerned townsfolk notes her appearance and alerted the fuzz.

Fife

Post by Fife » Fri Jul 21, 2017 5:03 pm

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Fri Jul 21, 2017 5:04 pm

Get gassed.

Fife

Post by Fife » Fri Jul 21, 2017 5:07 pm

Okeefenokee

Post by Okeefenokee » Fri Jul 21, 2017 5:12 pm

A few e-mails from readers >

'I know the test reflects what was in the textbooks of that era, and that it is similar to the test my mother had to take in the 1920s in Nebraska.'

Another > 'Reading that eighth grade exam surely humbled me. It gave me a much greater appreciation for my father whom I considered a highly intelligent man - a Midwesterner, who was able to make a very good living, including putting me and my three siblings through college - with only an 8th-grade "education."

And another > 'I am a retired college professor (after 41 years) of earth and environmental sciences having taught at two universities and one community college in the United States of America. I simply cannot sit still over the terrible decline in the pre-college preparation of my students and the administrative mindset that the precious self-esteem's of the students merit more consideration than the degree of learning which takes place.'

Kazmyr

Post by Kazmyr » Fri Jul 21, 2017 5:14 pm

Martin Hash wrote:Liberty allows people to get their jollies any way they want. Just don't expect to masturbate with my lotion.

Fife

Post by Fife » Fri Jul 21, 2017 5:16 pm

Okeefenokee wrote:
A few e-mails from readers >

'I know the test reflects what was in the textbooks of that era, and that it is similar to the test my mother had to take in the 1920s in Nebraska.'

Another > 'Reading that eighth grade exam surely humbled me. It gave me a much greater appreciation for my father whom I considered a highly intelligent man - a Midwesterner, who was able to make a very good living, including putting me and my three siblings through college - with only an 8th-grade "education."

And another > 'I am a retired college professor (after 41 years) of earth and environmental sciences having taught at two universities and one community college in the United States of America. I simply cannot sit still over the terrible decline in the pre-college preparation of my students and the administrative mindset that the precious self-esteem's of the students merit more consideration than the degree of learning which takes place.'
THANKS KARL