Pedestrian Bridge Collapse, FIU, S Florida

de officiis

Re: Pedestrian Bridge Collapse, FIU, S Florida

Post by de officiis » Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:28 pm

brewster wrote:Anyone who has ever hired an architect and contractor knows what happened here. The clowns on the crew ignored the specs. I'm sure this was a brilliant design, it's hard to fuck up this bad with today's engineering design technology. Workers on the other hand, are much harder to control.

I had a partially circular stair built. The company's engineer did a brilliant construction design from my CAD sketch. Then the work arrived. The 6 treads that came assembled from the mill shop were out of square by 1/2" over 36". I bounced it. Later when they were installing the spindles, custom made on a pattern lathe, they had fucked up the parting so the bottom block on the short ones was 1/4" longer than the long ones. So in this case the engineer was great, the installers were great, the millwork guys were drunks. The GC on the job, not the stair guys, also fucked up reading the architect's drawing, framing the opening in a way that would have failed inspection.

I could go on and on with contractor stories of ignoring drawing specs, using the wrong materials, or stupid crap like mixing grout too loose because it makes it easier to spread. People assigned to do jobs they didn't even know how it was supposed to look when it was done, never mind be able to do it. And this is simple residential work, no affirmative action, or other bullshit. This bridge collapse was probably the 20th time this contractor and his crew did shitty work, it just finally caught up to them.
Could've collapsed for any number of reasons, from design to construction to parts employed. They will investigate and determine the cause; lawsuits will follow and insurance carriers will start writing checks.

How many of us remember the Hyatt Regency walkway collapse back in the 1980s that killed > 100 people?
The two walkways were suspended from a set of 1.25 in (32 mm) diameter[19] steel tie rods, with the second floor walkway hanging directly under the fourth floor walkway. The fourth floor walkway platform was supported on three cross-beams suspended by steel rods retained by nuts. The cross-beams were box girders made from C-channel strips welded together lengthwise, with a hollow space between them. The original design by Jack D. Gillum and Associates specified three pairs of rods running from the second floor to the ceiling. Investigators determined eventually that this design supported only 60% of the minimum load required by Kansas City building codes.[20]

Havens Steel Company, the contractor responsible for manufacturing the rods, objected to the original plan, since it required the whole of the rod below the fourth floor to be screw threaded in order to screw on the nuts to hold the fourth floor walkway in place. Indeed, these threads would probably have been damaged and rendered unusable as the structure for the fourth floor was hoisted into position with the rods in place. Havens therefore proposed an alternative plan in which two separate -- and offset -- sets of tie rods would be used: one connecting the fourth floor walkway to the ceiling, and the other connecting the second floor walkway to the fourth floor walkway.[21]

This design change proved fatal. In the original design, the beams of the fourth floor walkway had to support only the weight of the fourth floor walkway, with the weight of the second floor walkway supported completely by the rods. In the revised design, however, the fourth floor beams were required to support both the fourth floor walkway and the second floor walkway hanging from it.

The serious flaws of the revised design were compounded by the fact that both designs placed the bolts directly through a welded joint connecting two C-channels, the weakest structural point in the box beams. Photographs of the wreckage show excessive deformations of the cross-section.[22] During the failure, the box beams split along the weld and the nut supporting them slipped through the resulting gap between the two C-channels which had been welded together.

Investigators concluded that the basic problem was a lack of proper communication between Jack D. Gillum and Associates and Havens Steel. In particular, the drawings prepared by Jack D. Gillum and Associates were only preliminary sketches but were interpreted by Havens as finalized drawings. Jack D. Gillum and Associates failed to review the initial design thoroughly, and accepted Havens' proposed plan without performing basic calculations that would have revealed its serious intrinsic flaws — in particular, the doubling of the load on the fourth-floor beams.[20] It was later revealed that when Havens called Jack D. Gillum and Associates to propose the new design, the engineer they spoke with simply approved the changes over the phone, without viewing any sketches or performing calculations.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyatt_Reg ... estigation

Life: it's complicated.

K@th

Post by K@th » Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:33 pm

de officiis wrote:

Yes. I wonder why we settle, though. There are very talented people who won't fuck up. I could be fired for SOOO much less than building something that kills people. Pisses me off. If you hire me to build you a database, you're going to get a fucking good database, because that's what I do. If you hire your second cousin's idiot brother-in-law to build your database, you're going to get crap.

It's so corrupt down here. Elected local officials always getting arrested. We just assume it was corruption that led to hiring incompetents.
Account abandoned.

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:37 pm

Also, I shit you not, every time I ever saw a chick have to get at a bolt or fastener up inside a compartment or whatever, where you have to reach up in there and just get it done.. first they would actually have to mock do it out in the open air to figure out which way to turn the speedhandle, and then it took them forever.

There was one time when a total AMU princess decided to actually come out to the flight line to fix a jet with a weird uncommanded roll problem. She worked on that jet for like three or four days in a hangar before declaring it fixed.

Nobody really wanted to fly it as far as I could tell because the commander himself came out to fly it. This guy was legend as far as I was concerned. He was like, oh it just flips over out of the blue and tries to crash into the Earth? Fuck it. I'll take it.

Sure enough, uncommanded roll happened and he managed to land it.

I got stuck with it when I came in for swing shift. Grabbed my new guys, went to backshop to get the schematics for the flight control computer. We actually found an inconsistency in the design whereby a small error in the c channel stick force sensor would not be picked up by the flight control computer as an error, or if it ever did, it assumed the problem was a bad actuator. They had changed practically every part relating to that stabilizer, except for the rear stick force sensor. We fired the jet up on the flight line and tested it ourselves. You could bring up the raw data on the multi-purpose displays. Sure enough, in the c channel you could see all sorts of weird values that differed from the other channels whenever that rear stick was moved.

4 days (at least, I cannot remember exactly how long she spent), and the commander almost crashed.

Another time, a female NCO almost got people killed when I warned her that a hangar was filling up with hydrazine and she chose to ignore it and drive her friends around first.
Last edited by Speaker to Animals on Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:42 pm, edited 4 times in total.

de officiis

Post by de officiis » Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:38 pm

Kath wrote:
de officiis wrote:

Yes. I wonder why we settle, though. There are very talented people who won't fuck up. I could be fired for SOOO much less than building something that kills people. Pisses me off. If you hire me to build you a database, you're going to get a fucking good database, because that's what I do. If you hire your second cousin's idiot brother-in-law to build your database, you're going to get crap.

It's so corrupt down here. Elected local officials always getting arrested. We just assume it was corruption that led to hiring incompetents.
Corruption exists because people tolerate it.

Penner

Post by Penner » Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:45 pm

de officiis wrote:
Kath wrote:
de officiis wrote:

That is true. Corruption exists but I think that shows how fucked up our instructor is nationwide and won't change until we have a massive overhaul of literally everything.

K@th

Post by K@th » Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:13 pm

de officiis wrote:
I'm genuinely starting to believe that the people don't matter. It's all determined by a blow job or something. It's all run by who knows what about whom. It's about knowing when to make it political.
Account abandoned.

Okeefenokee

Post by Okeefenokee » Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:29 pm

Cognitive dissonance intensifies
GrumpyCatFace wrote:Dumb slut partied too hard and woke up in a weird house. Ran out the door, weeping for her failed life choices, concerned townsfolk notes her appearance and alerted the fuzz.

viewtopic.php?p=60751#p60751

K@th

Post by K@th » Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:35 pm

Huh?
Account abandoned.

Okeefenokee

Post by Okeefenokee » Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:51 pm

The problem isn't affirmative action. The problem is that people are getting jobs based on who they are, rather than what they know.
GrumpyCatFace wrote:Dumb slut partied too hard and woke up in a weird house. Ran out the door, weeping for her failed life choices, concerned townsfolk notes her appearance and alerted the fuzz.

viewtopic.php?p=60751#p60751

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:15 pm

Bridge to nowhere? $11.4 million taxpayer grant from US DoT (Muh Infrastructure!), contractor cuts corners to pocket the difference?
Nec Aspera Terrent