Another School Shooting

DBTrek

Re: Another School Shooting

Post by DBTrek » Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:26 pm

I meant to quote Monte who asked what the “solution” was.

The answer is, if it comes from the state, probably tyranny. The state is good at whooping asses. Their record for solutions is lukewarm.

So odds are some demographic gonna take an ass whoopin’ when the state “solution” rolls out.
"Hey varmints, don't mess with a guy that's riding a buffalo"

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:29 pm

The Anti Saloon League 2.0 simply overplayed its hand in 1994, a backlash ensued, and that blowback simply continues to follow its course.

Perhaps someday the Temperance Union with get another 18th amendment, but not anytime soon methinks.

The Volstead Act turned America into a nation of scofflaws, almost overnight, but for generations to come as well, because even after it was repealed, the genie could not be put back in the bottle.
Nec Aspera Terrent

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:54 pm

DBTrek wrote:I meant to quote Monte who asked what the “solution” was.

The answer is, if it comes from the state, probably tyranny. The state is good at whooping asses. Their record for solutions is lukewarm.

So odds are some demographic gonna take an ass whoopin’ when the state “solution” rolls out.
To be pedantic, I asked for a better solution than more guns. I'm open to any state or non state answers.
So far we have,
more security
more guns
fewer gun free zones
no state schools
less diversity
''fix'' society
plus
reduced accessability to weapons
better background checks
registration of firearms

Everything on the list has been rejected or deemed too difficult so far.

The answer can't just be ''do nothing it's not a big number'' or ''there are no solutions''
For legal reasons, we are not threatening to destroy U.S. government property with our glorious medieval siege engine. But if we wanted to, we could. But we won’t. But we could.

DrYouth

Post by DrYouth » Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:00 pm

DBTrek wrote:“Solutions” for human behavior are little more than tyranny wearing a smiley mask.
Yep...

Engineering solutions to social problems from the top down is exactly that...

Another idea would be not getting in the way of solutions from the bottom up... in other words letting local communities come up with their own solutions and maybe even supporting those somehow.... without taking them over and derailing them...

Not sure that's ever actually been tried before...

Not sure any government is actually realistically capable of this.... so I'm not actually proposing this as a government initiative...
More like communities might have to try to do this somehow despite governments...

It's ok to dream, isn't it?
Deep down tho, I still thirst to kill you and eat you. Ultra Chimp can't help it.. - Smitty

K@th

Post by K@th » Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:31 pm

Account abandoned.

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:48 pm

Kath wrote:Image

It's really as unhelpful as something Jordan Peterson would say. Treat people as ends rather than means. Okay. That doesn't address the social dysfunction and violence. Those of us who agree with that sentiment are unlikely to shoot people, and those who are likely to shoot people probably don't care.

Okeefenokee

Post by Okeefenokee » Thu Feb 22, 2018 4:01 pm

DrYouth wrote:The constitutions says nothing about the right to access to rapid fire automatic weapons.
There were no rapid fire automatic weapons at the time of the writing of the constitution.
There is also no right of access to tanks, nerve gas or nuclear weapons.

So constraining rapid fire weapons is completely a legitimate idea.

So spare me.

We can also talk about constraining alcohol.
Drinking and driving is also not a right.
You could call tyranny on road checks if you really want to.
Those are government regulations.
I've been away for a few days. I assume you've been bitch slapped for posting this ignorance in the meantime. Will revisit.
GrumpyCatFace wrote:Dumb slut partied too hard and woke up in a weird house. Ran out the door, weeping for her failed life choices, concerned townsfolk notes her appearance and alerted the fuzz.

viewtopic.php?p=60751#p60751

Okeefenokee

Post by Okeefenokee » Thu Feb 22, 2018 4:02 pm

pineapplemike wrote:It is just me or have mass shootings seemingly risen in accordance with the increasing accessibility of global communication, the 24 hour news cycle and the internet?

I have no facts or information to back up my assertion beyond my own observations, perhaps it's just my own increasing access to 24 hour information that has influenced me into thinking this way
Rates have gone down for thirty years. Reporting has increased.
GrumpyCatFace wrote:Dumb slut partied too hard and woke up in a weird house. Ran out the door, weeping for her failed life choices, concerned townsfolk notes her appearance and alerted the fuzz.

Okeefenokee

Post by Okeefenokee » Thu Feb 22, 2018 4:16 pm

Okeefenokee wrote:
DrYouth wrote:The constitutions says nothing about the right to access to rapid fire automatic weapons.
There were no rapid fire automatic weapons at the time of the writing of the constitution.

So spare me.

I've been away for a few days. I assume you've been bitch slapped for posting this ignorance in the meantime. Will revisit.
I guess no one caught that.

Yes, they had automatics.

Yes, the 2nd included cannons, the most powerful weapons of the day.

Yes, it was confirmed multiple times that the right to bear arms meant all arms.

Haumana

Post by Haumana » Thu Feb 22, 2018 4:39 pm

So spare me.

Minus the fact that automatic weapons are currently illegal and at the time of writing the 2nd amendment people legally owned cannons.

Driving is a privilege, not a right enshrined in our constitution.

Do you own any weapons? Have you ever shot a gun?