Social Justice Warriors Thread

C-Mag

Re: Social Justice Warriors Thread

Post by C-Mag » Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:14 am

Fife wrote:
Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:42 am
Martin Hash wrote:
Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:28 am
Is there a “Religious Teachings” section?
You're looking at it, bro.
+1

It is their religion
PLATA O PLOMO

Don't fear authority, Fear Obedience

DBTrek

Post by DBTrek » Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:47 am

I often wonder if the similarity between religion and politics does not speak to some basic human need for a greater “outside” force to give context to our lives.

For most of human history we knew little of creation. Survival consumed most of of attention. Floods, death, disease, famine ... these we could attribute to god(s). Around this attribution a Priestly caste system arose, etc.

Now we have a bunch of Googling atheists who pride themselves on not believing in god(s). Survival is assured, so they have plenty of time to ponder other things. Yet they still have the same, inherent, human need to attribute much of their quality of life to outside forces. Now things like flood, famine, poverty, and death can be blamed on policies, political parties, and businesses.

...And once again we see a priestly caste system forming, but instead of being led by men who talk about the will of god, it’s led by xirs who talk about the oppression of patriarchy.

Or maybe I’m connecting dots that have nothing to do with each other. I’ll simply say that if you examine how the most fanatically religious people you know behave, and how the most opinionated political people you know behave, you’ll notice startling parallels between the two.
"Hey varmints, don't mess with a guy that's riding a buffalo"

Fife

Post by Fife » Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:12 am

Can I get ordained as a Right Reverend in Carnivorism?

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:23 am

DBTrek wrote:
Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:47 am
I often wonder if the similarity between religion and politics does not speak to some basic human need for a greater “outside” force to give context to our lives.

For most of human history we knew little of creation. Survival consumed most of of attention. Floods, death, disease, famine ... these we could attribute to god(s). Around this attribution a Priestly caste system arose, etc.

Now we have a bunch of Googling atheists who pride themselves on not believing in god(s). Survival is assured, so they have plenty of time to ponder other things. Yet they still have the same, inherent, human need to attribute much of their quality of life to outside forces. Now things like flood, famine, poverty, and death can be blamed on policies, political parties, and businesses.

...And once again we see a priestly caste system forming, but instead of being led by men who talk about the will of god, it’s led by xirs who talk about the oppression of patriarchy.

Or maybe I’m connecting dots that have nothing to do with each other. I’ll simply say that if you examine how the most fanatically religious people you know behave, and how the most opinionated political people you know behave, you’ll notice startling parallels between the two.
Good post.

It's inherent in the human condition.
SJWs are a natural consequence of corporatism.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

https://youtu.be/CYbT8-rSqo0

DBTrek

Post by DBTrek » Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:26 am

Fife wrote:
Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:12 am
Can I get ordained as a Right Reverend in Carnivorism?

Eh ... not really the same. Consider the dogma involved in religion, and how it causes schisms over time. Same with politics. There’s an entire belief system that governs what is cannon and what is apocryphal, who is holy and who is a heretic.

Meat diet is a simple thing. Ask someone to explain to you how Walmart is to blame for hiring people on welfare in low wage jobs. Then you’ll get into the religious dogma of politics. First you’ll get a reading from the book of “We subsidize their workers”, then a lesson from the book of “they pay no taxes”, followed by a homily on “they corrupt government with cash”.

There’s a whole interconnected ideological course people will walk you through in order to enlighten you on why Wal-Mart is evil for hiring poor people. It all goes back to one of the main pillars of the faith though - capitalism and corporations are evil.

That’s one example of many, but to me the parallels between Mormons seeking converts and Political junkies seeking FB likes are undeniable.
/shrug

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:47 am

Well, you could try actually countering those points, rather than giving The Ordained Hand-Waving of Capitalism...
SJWs are a natural consequence of corporatism.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

https://youtu.be/CYbT8-rSqo0

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:51 am

:roll:

They literally depend on tax payers to subsidize their labor force.

If we tried to implement the Hastur plan of not giving any assistance to people with jobs, guess who would lobby (bribe) the fuck out of legislators to nip that shit in the bud.. Walmart.

DBTrek

Post by DBTrek » Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:47 pm

I’m familiar with the dogma.
I’ve been exposed to all the readings, having been raised by a family of California Democrats.
Many of them were Catholics and Espicopalians, some have lapsed.
But none have lapsed on the leftist doctrine on the evils of business.

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Mon Sep 10, 2018 1:18 pm

Dude, don't pretend like it is "dogma". It's a valid argument. If we didn't extend welfare to people with jobs, Walmart would be forced to raise wages. The numbers of working poor are growing because we are stupidly subsidizing the labor forces of bad actors like Walmart. They need to raise wages to where they would otherwise have to pay if nobody could receive assistance for working there. As far as I was aware, they already began this process, seeing the writing on the wall as it is.

Stop providing welfare or any kind of assistance to people with jobs. It's that simple.

jediuser598

Post by jediuser598 » Mon Sep 10, 2018 1:21 pm

The need to be part of something bigger than yourself. If not religion (where the guy up top is your personal friend, and takes a daily interest in everything you do), then political party. If you're a part of the party who made a change then you made that change to the world, right?
Thy praise or dispraise is to me alike:
One doth not stroke me, nor the other strike.
-Ben Johnson