Europe, Boring Until it's Not

Otern

Re: Europe, Boring Until it's Not

Post by Otern » Sat Apr 07, 2018 8:41 am

Montegriffo wrote:
Otern wrote:
Montegriffo wrote:I'll be fine with my machete thanks.
Why do you have a machete?
It was my father's from when he served in Malaysia in the late 50s. It is old WW2 stock with a date stamp from 1944.
I use it for chopping kindling and clearing brambles.
Nice.

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Sat Apr 07, 2018 9:33 am

Otern wrote:
Montegriffo wrote:
Otern wrote:
Why do you have a machete?
It was my father's from when he served in Malaysia in the late 50s. It is old WW2 stock with a date stamp from 1944.
I use it for chopping kindling and clearing brambles.
Nice.
Back in the 80s when the peace convoy was on the road and Maggie was in power new age travellers would be broken up and there were always arrests for " offensive weapons". Every time it turned out to be axes and hatchets for chopping firewood and there was no charge.
For legal reasons, we are not threatening to destroy U.S. government property with our glorious medieval siege engine. But if we wanted to, we could. But we won’t. But we could.

Otern

Post by Otern » Sat Apr 07, 2018 11:53 am

Montegriffo wrote: Back in the 80s when the peace convoy was on the road and Maggie was in power new age travellers would be broken up and there were always arrests for " offensive weapons". Every time it turned out to be axes and hatchets for chopping firewood and there was no charge.
Norway and the UK has pretty much identical knife and "offensive weapon" laws. But I've noticed the police have been exploiting their powers here somewhat. Like confiscating and fining people for having a pocket knife with them in their car and such. Do these things happen over there too?

The laws were intended to stop gang violence and drug addicts, but it's also being enforced where it wasn't intentional at all.

Haumana

Post by Haumana » Sat Apr 07, 2018 1:00 pm

Otern wrote: The laws were intended to stop gang violence and drug addicts, but it's also being enforced where it wasn't intentional at all.
Funny thing about laws and initial intentions vs practice. Seems to be that there is always somebody looking for a new angle/application.

Okeefenokee

Post by Okeefenokee » Sat Apr 07, 2018 1:27 pm

Multiple Casualties And Injuries After Van Attack In Germany

On Saturday, a van slammed into a large group of people in Muenster, Germany in an incident that German police described as "deliberate," which left at least a couple of people dead and dozens injured.

The attack, which officials are treating as an act of terrorism, left approximately 20 injured and two people dead before the driver shot himself to death, The Daily Mail reported. At least six people were being treated for serious, life-threatening injuries.

The Washington Post reports that the man behind the attack is believed to be a 48-year-old German national who reportedly has a history of "psychological problems."

https://www.dailywire.com/news/29161/ca ... n-saavedra
GrumpyCatFace wrote:Dumb slut partied too hard and woke up in a weird house. Ran out the door, weeping for her failed life choices, concerned townsfolk notes her appearance and alerted the fuzz.

viewtopic.php?p=60751#p60751

Haumana

Post by Haumana » Sat Apr 07, 2018 1:30 pm

Okeefenokee wrote:
Multiple Casualties And Injuries After Van Attack In Germany

On Saturday, a van slammed into a large group of people in Muenster, Germany in an incident that German police described as "deliberate," which left at least a couple of people dead and dozens injured.

The attack, which officials are treating as an act of terrorism, left approximately 20 injured and two people dead before the driver shot himself to death, The Daily Mail reported. At least six people were being treated for serious, life-threatening injuries.

The Washington Post reports that the man behind the attack is believed to be a 48-year-old German national who reportedly has a history of "psychological problems."

https://www.dailywire.com/news/29161/ca ... n-saavedra
Should we make a bet about eating a hat?

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Sat Apr 07, 2018 1:49 pm

Otern wrote:
Montegriffo wrote: Back in the 80s when the peace convoy was on the road and Maggie was in power new age travellers would be broken up and there were always arrests for " offensive weapons". Every time it turned out to be axes and hatchets for chopping firewood and there was no charge.
Norway and the UK has pretty much identical knife and "offensive weapon" laws. But I've noticed the police have been exploiting their powers here somewhat. Like confiscating and fining people for having a pocket knife with them in their car and such. Do these things happen over there too?

The laws were intended to stop gang violence and drug addicts, but it's also being enforced where it wasn't intentional at all.
The knife laws are aimed at the young kids in inner cities. You won't get any problems elsewhere with the police.
I carry knives in my car every day of the week for work and would never worry about having to explain them.

The penalties for carrying knives has worked so well with gangs that they now carry bleach instead. The laws on carrying corrosive liquids are now being tightened up to account for it.
Eventually they will just go back to punching each other because carrying anything which can be used as a weapon will have too much risk attached to it.
For legal reasons, we are not threatening to destroy U.S. government property with our glorious medieval siege engine. But if we wanted to, we could. But we won’t. But we could.

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Sat Apr 07, 2018 1:52 pm

I really hate people that rationalize shitty laws like that.

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Sat Apr 07, 2018 2:00 pm

Montegriffo wrote:
The knife laws are aimed at the young kids in inner cities. You won't get any problems elsewhere with the police.
I carry knives in my car every day of the week for work and would never worry about having to explain them.

The penalties for carrying knives has worked so well with gangs that they now carry bleach instead. The laws on carrying corrosive liquids are now being tightened up to account for it.
Eventually they will just go back to punching each other because carrying anything which can be used as a weapon will have too much risk attached to it.

That's cool that in an oppressive society because of your job you can have some kind weapon for defense. Are defensive knife fighting classes avaialable to you ? It might not hurt to get some training, while I'm sure you have great knife skills on the cutting board, I'm pretty sure a fine Chiffonade is not going to impress an attacker.
PLATA O PLOMO

Don't fear authority, Fear Obedience

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Sat Apr 07, 2018 2:08 pm

You for sure as shit are not allowed to carry a machete around in England off your private property or doing approved work activities.

Monty could get away with carrying his cook's knife during working hours, which I suppose is a blessing (those knives are lethal as fuck, actually).

But a machete? Nah.

https://www.gov.uk/buying-carrying-knives