Europe, Boring Until it's Not

Montegriffo

Re: Europe, Boring Until it's Not

Post by Montegriffo » Wed Mar 21, 2018 12:10 pm

Otern wrote:
Speaker to Animals wrote:
Bear in mind, this was shown on television, at a time when there were plenty of holocaust survivors watching television.

That Scotsman made a video, and submitted it on youtube, where people would actively have to search it out to find it, at a time when there's very few holocaust survivors left, and extremely few of them spend their time watching some random Scotsman's youtube channel.

Monty Python was considerably more "offensive", and had a way bigger reach. Yet, it was tolerated.

I think there will be way more hatred directed towards jews if people get the perception they're a "protected class", which you're not allowed to joke about. That's way more dangerous than a pug giving a salute.
You must have missed all the fuss made by religious nut jobs like the Archbishop of Canterbury when Life of Brian came out. It was even banned in some towns.
Monty python were regularly offensive and got called out for it.
For legal reasons, we are not threatening to destroy U.S. government property with our glorious medieval siege engine. But if we wanted to, we could. But we won’t. But we could.

Otern

Post by Otern » Wed Mar 21, 2018 12:17 pm

Montegriffo wrote: You must have missed all the fuss made by religious nut jobs like the Archbishop of Canterbury when Life of Brian came out. It was even banned in some towns.
Monty python were regularly offensive and got called out for it.
Huge difference between being called out for being offensive, and being convicted in a criminal court for being offensive.

The former happens in an open and civil society, the latter in a police state.

BjornP

Post by BjornP » Wed Mar 21, 2018 1:40 pm

Montegriffo wrote: Well if we are going to bring up past indiscretions I could point out that only a couple of weeks ago you were telling me I had no right asking Americans to justify their gun control laws. Yet here I am having to justify the actions of a British court ( well Scottish actually as they have their own system of law ) to the board and getting called a cunt for my efforts.
I have never said you "had no right" to ask Americans to justify their gun control laws, or lack thereof. You are not "forced" to justify anything, and you won't get fined if you don't. You seemed, and still seem, willing to defend the laws of your country on the matter of hate speech laws and other laws limiting speech and other forms of expression, just as you have seemed willing to criticize American gun laws and gun culture. Which you are, and should be, as free to do as everyone here is and should be free to criticize aspects of British current culture - or Danish culture for that matter. If you really don't agree with your country's laws on the matter, maybe it's time to say so?

The reason it's predominantly British culture and British law that's the subject of stories in the Europe thread, though, is simply one of linguistic convenience. Can't really gain much of an understanding of a foreign country and their culture if you don't even speak their language. And since we don't have any Australians and New Zealanders, and since the American news media seem to treat Canada as more or less politically invisible, that leaves you.

I think you defend a way of thinking that's most commonly seen in totalitarian states. So, I wouldn't call you a cunt for your efforts of explaining why you support your country's laws. I think most people who live, or have lived, in totalitarian systems simply did and do what 99% of Germans did when the Nazis came to power. Became too afraid to rock the boat, too afraid of "breaching the peace", too afraid to criticize if the direction of increasing censorship more and more each day, each week, each year, was the right direction. Not that I'm saying your government is planning extermination camps, but a benevolent totalitarian state is still totalitarian.
Fame is not flattery. Respect is not agreement.

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Wed Mar 21, 2018 1:52 pm

Somebody needs to take the British police to the woodshed like Chris Raygun did to Antifa.

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Wed Mar 21, 2018 1:55 pm

Actually, come to think about it, if John Cleese ever had a moment it's right the fuck now.

DBTrek

Post by DBTrek » Wed Mar 21, 2018 2:33 pm

Quick update - Europe still boring.
"Hey varmints, don't mess with a guy that's riding a buffalo"

Viktorthepirate

Post by Viktorthepirate » Wed Mar 21, 2018 4:00 pm

How about instead of blaming the people who offended someone you blame the fucking impetuous children so easily triggered into violence?

What the fuck is wrong with you Monte?

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Wed Mar 21, 2018 4:20 pm

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Thu Mar 22, 2018 1:56 am

Viktorthepirate wrote:How about instead of blaming the people who offended someone you blame the fucking impetuous children so easily triggered into violence?

How about instead of everyone fighting for the right of some dickhead to repeat "do you want to gas that Jews" over and over again
We fight for the right not to have to put up with that shit.
For legal reasons, we are not threatening to destroy U.S. government property with our glorious medieval siege engine. But if we wanted to, we could. But we won’t. But we could.

Hastur

Post by Hastur » Thu Mar 22, 2018 2:11 am

Montegriffo wrote:
Viktorthepirate wrote:How about instead of blaming the people who offended someone you blame the fucking impetuous children so easily triggered into violence?

How about instead of everyone fighting for the right of some dickhead to repeat "do you want to gas that Jews" over and over again
We fight for the right not to have to put up with that shit.
You already have that right. No one's forcing you to watch it. Just click on another Youtube video.

An nescis, mi fili, quantilla prudentia mundus regatur? - Axel Oxenstierna

Nie lügen die Menschen so viel wie nach einer Jagd, während eines Krieges oder vor Wahlen. - Otto von Bismarck