Europe, Boring Until it's Not

Speaker to Animals

Re: Europe, Boring Until it's Not

Post by Speaker to Animals » Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:27 pm

GrumpyCatFace wrote:How do you know mushrooms don't want to live? They seem to fight hard for life. Along with everything else that lives.

Anyway. Do not get between me and a juicy steak. There will be blood.

It's Lent in 34 minutes. Steak postings should by minimized on days of abstinence.

Okeefenokee

Post by Okeefenokee » Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:28 pm

You're mixing subjectivity with morality.

It's not like I didn't call it the second I saw you say, "ethically."

There's no way for you determine when a fetus is sentient any more than you prove a lobster wants to live.
GrumpyCatFace wrote:Dumb slut partied too hard and woke up in a weird house. Ran out the door, weeping for her failed life choices, concerned townsfolk notes her appearance and alerted the fuzz.

viewtopic.php?p=60751#p60751

Hastur

Post by Hastur » Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:16 am

Why is there a difference between a coma patient who might regain consciousness and a fetus who almost certainly will get it?
If potential consciousness is as valuable as active consciousness you can't be pro choice.

An nescis, mi fili, quantilla prudentia mundus regatur? - Axel Oxenstierna

Nie lügen die Menschen so viel wie nach einer Jagd, während eines Krieges oder vor Wahlen. - Otto von Bismarck

JohnDonne

Post by JohnDonne » Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:36 am

Nukedog wrote:
JohnDonne wrote:Well, I am nothing if not a champion of creatures than can't speak for themselves, a fetus in my opinion need not demonstrate anything, simply having the causal structure at a certain level of development would suffice as a mandate to play it safe in my view. Without it though, where's the subjective ability? How does it morally differentiate from a rock? Human DNA? I throw my own DNA every time I brush my hair.
I understand as well. It's nothing to you because it represents a future you will never experience.

Why do you care about the future again? Chickens or something?
That's not true, it means nothing to itself if it doesn't have the ability to desire to live. It might matter something to me, or to you, but without the causal structure the fetus itself cannot care.

Hastur

Post by Hastur » Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:48 am

The desire to live doesn't come with any entitlement. All living things desire to live. Mushrooms, trees, grass, malaria parasites, bacteria and everything else. There exists no law in nature that forces us to respect that will to live.
If we show any mercy at all is just because we have decided not to become monsters. Monsters tend to be ganged up upon and destroyed so it is a good choice not to become one.
If you try to coerce people into giving up their favorite food you will be correctly identified as a tyrannical monster and you will be treated accordingly.

Nie lügen die Menschen so viel wie nach einer Jagd, während eines Krieges oder vor Wahlen. - Otto von Bismarck

ssu

Post by ssu » Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:12 am

Hastur wrote:Why is there a difference between a coma patient who might regain consciousness and a fetus who almost certainly will get it?
If potential consciousness is as valuable as active consciousness you can't be pro choice.
Hastur wrote:The desire to live doesn't come with any entitlement. All living things desire to live. Mushrooms, trees, grass, malaria parasites, bacteria and everything else. There exists no law in nature that forces us to respect that will to live.
If we show any mercy at all is just because we have decided not to become monsters. Monsters tend to be ganged up upon and destroyed so it is a good choice not to become one.
If you try to coerce people into giving up their favorite food you will be correctly identified as a tyrannical monster and you will be treated accordingly.
So uh... you don't use rubber and eat unhealthy food?

Hastur

Post by Hastur » Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:20 am

ssu wrote:
Hastur wrote:Why is there a difference between a coma patient who might regain consciousness and a fetus who almost certainly will get it?
Hastur wrote:The desire to live doesn't come with any entitlement. All living things desire to live. Mushrooms, trees, grass, malaria parasites, bacteria and everything else. There exists no law in nature that forces us to respect that will to live.
So uh... you don't use rubber and eat unhealthy food?
Nope, read the thread, let go of the corner flag and join the game.

ssu

Post by ssu » Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:21 am

Hastur wrote:Nope, read the thread, let go of the corner flag and join the game.
402 pages... I give up.

JohnDonne

Post by JohnDonne » Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:22 am

Okeefenokee wrote:You're mixing subjectivity with morality.

It's not like I didn't call it the second I saw you say, "ethically."

There's no way for you determine when a fetus is sentient any more than you prove a lobster wants to live.
I'm not mixing anything, a subjective viewpoint is where value comes from, else you are but as a rock, a non-person.

So even after I addressed your point before you made it, you still use the tired argument that abortion can never be justified because we can never be sure when sentience begins. I pointed out to you that we don't need to know when abortion begins, because we can be quite certain where it doesn't exist, it's where causal structures are not present. Yet you made the argument anyway.

Hastur

Post by Hastur » Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:27 am

Byt you stated that potential consciousness had a value. Why else let a comatose person on life-support live? Do you deny that an unborn fetus has the potential for consciousness? Makes no sense.