What would America look like if it was truly the Land of the Free?

The Conservative

Re: What would America look like if it was truly the Land of the Free?

Post by The Conservative » Fri Jun 09, 2017 12:51 pm

TheOneX wrote:
GrumpyCatFace wrote:
The Conservative wrote:The only reason to go to the city for me is work. Otherwise I'd rather not. The city and its denizens suck.
I'm pretty sure that's the main reason why. It is hard as hell to make a decent living outside of the cities.

Yes, I know the stats will show clearly that people are moving to them, but that's not a matter of preference, IMO. It's economics - just like everything else.
I agree, if I had to guess I would only say about 10% of people who move to a city from rural locations do so by choice. The large majority do so because that is where the jobs are. As technology advances there is just fewer and fewer farmers needed. Without farming most small rural towns have much in terms of opportunity. Most of the jobs there are just there to support farmers, and the people supporting farmers.
I support and do farming myself, but damn the people in the city are just raging assholes, if a nuke went off in the middle of the night in Boston, not much would be missed I think. (humanity wise)
#NotOneRedCent

TheOneX

Post by TheOneX » Fri Jun 09, 2017 12:59 pm

The Conservative wrote:
TheOneX wrote:
GrumpyCatFace wrote:
I'm pretty sure that's the main reason why. It is hard as hell to make a decent living outside of the cities.

Yes, I know the stats will show clearly that people are moving to them, but that's not a matter of preference, IMO. It's economics - just like everything else.
I agree, if I had to guess I would only say about 10% of people who move to a city from rural locations do so by choice. The large majority do so because that is where the jobs are. As technology advances there is just fewer and fewer farmers needed. Without farming most small rural towns have much in terms of opportunity. Most of the jobs there are just there to support farmers, and the people supporting farmers.
I support and do farming myself, but damn the people in the city are just raging assholes, if a nuke went off in the middle of the night in Boston, not much would be missed I think. (humanity wise)
Depends on the city. East coast cities are full of asshole assholes. West coast cities are full of stuck up assholes. Floridian cities are full of self-absorbed assholes. I think Midwestern cities are generally made up of nice people though.

TheReal_ND

Post by TheReal_ND » Fri Jun 09, 2017 1:01 pm

brewster wrote:
TheReal_ND wrote: FIX MY CREDIT SCORE RIGHT FUCKING NOW
Sure thing. How did you fuck it up?
I DONT KNOW

SEND HELP

Fife

Post by Fife » Fri Jun 09, 2017 1:04 pm

City life can be tough. Some places have aesthetic value that weigh out against the hassle.

The Conservative

Post by The Conservative » Fri Jun 09, 2017 1:08 pm

Fife wrote:City life can be tough. Some places have aesthetic value that weigh out against the hassle.

When you see some kid wearing suspeders to keep his pants from falling down completely, but they are far enough down that you can not only tell he is wearing boxers or briefs, but how far they go down and what pattern they are, there is no redeeming value in that except to go over and treat him like a spring toy.
#NotOneRedCent

The Conservative

Post by The Conservative » Fri Jun 09, 2017 1:09 pm

TheOneX wrote:
The Conservative wrote:
TheOneX wrote:
Depends on the city. East coast cities are full of asshole assholes. West coast cities are full of stuck up assholes. Floridian cities are full of self-absorbed assholes. I think Midwestern cities are generally made up of nice people though.
I'll agree, but of course it depends... the Mid-Western and Central states have their own assholes too.
#NotOneRedCent

TheOneX

Post by TheOneX » Fri Jun 09, 2017 1:15 pm

The Conservative wrote:
TheOneX wrote:
The Conservative wrote:
I'll agree, but of course it depends... the Mid-Western and Central states have their own assholes too.
True.

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Fri Jun 09, 2017 1:27 pm

I have to say, Sandusky and Cleveland are full of nice, normal-ish people - FAR better than the east coast or Florida. But they are still cities, and contain no shortage of human waste as well.

To the sticks, boys!
SJWs are a natural consequence of corporatism.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

https://youtu.be/CYbT8-rSqo0

brewster

Post by brewster » Fri Jun 09, 2017 3:30 pm

TheReal_ND wrote:
brewster wrote:
TheReal_ND wrote: FIX MY CREDIT SCORE RIGHT FUCKING NOW
I DONT KNOW
I think I've identified the problem.

Re cities:
You guys have a personal opinion about why people like cities and think that makes it a rule? Most of the people where I live are here because they like the lifestyle. Many could afford fancy suburbs and have a tolerable commute. But it's hard to explain to someone who has different values. The best local garden retailer lost their lease and is moving over 1/2 hr away. When I said I didn't think I'd still patronize them, she said "what's a drive? I have to drive 20 minutes for a carton of milk!" And I said "that's exactly why we live here, where I can walk to the corner for milk." If I wasn't working on an apartment in another neighborhood I could go a week without getting in the car except to take my kayak to the harbor to fish. Around here that's considered a good thing.
We are only accustomed to dealing with like twenty online personas at a time so when we only have about ten people some people have to be strawmanned in order to advance our same relative go nowhere nonsense positions. -TheReal_ND

The Conservative

Post by The Conservative » Fri Jun 09, 2017 4:08 pm

brewster wrote:
TheReal_ND wrote:
brewster wrote:
I DONT KNOW
I think I've identified the problem.

Re cities:
You guys have a personal opinion about why people like cities and think that makes it a rule? Most of the people where I live are here because they like the lifestyle. Many could afford fancy suburbs and have a tolerable commute. But it's hard to explain to someone who has different values. The best local garden retailer lost their lease and is moving over 1/2 hr away. When I said I didn't think I'd still patronize them, she said "what's a drive? I have to drive 20 minutes for a carton of milk!" And I said "that's exactly why we live here, where I can walk to the corner for milk." If I wasn't working on an apartment in another neighborhood I could go a week without getting in the car except to take my kayak to the harbor to fish. Around here that's considered a good thing.

I take the train, it's and hour 40 min. I drive its 45 on a good day, 3 hours+ one way on a bad one.

I would love to work 20 minutes away minimum, but then I wouldn't be paid as much. It's a give or take.

I can walk to the store to get my milk still doesn't mean I have to like the drive or the people in the city.
#NotOneRedCent