Europe, Boring Until it's Not

Speaker to Animals

Re: Europe, boring until it's not

Post by Speaker to Animals » Mon Oct 23, 2017 6:00 pm

Okeefenokee wrote:
I doubt the barbary pirates were putting kids in meat grinders.

I don't.

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Mon Oct 23, 2017 6:05 pm

The Czech Republic shifts toward the Polish and Hungarian model
Take a big issue, such as European integration. Although the pre-election programme of ANO appears to be explicitly pro-European, Babiš has opposed the adoption of the euro, denounced EU migrant quotas, and generally criticised European integration using discourse that is all too reminiscent of the radical right. ANO’s key catch concept of `pragmatism’ seems to boil down to a striking and explicit absence of any ideology, suggesting that it is primarily a political arm of Babiš’s business empire, making it more like a Ukrainian, rather than a central European style party..
http://blogs.lse.ac.uk/europpblog/2017/ ... ian-model/
Here comes the Visegrád Group https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Visegr%C3%A1d_Group
PLATA O PLOMO

Don't fear authority, Fear Obedience

nmoore63

Post by nmoore63 » Mon Oct 23, 2017 6:32 pm

Montegriffo wrote:
The good news is that other regions of the world have gone through this already. The Middle East has been grappling with serious male infertility problems for decades. It has lessons to offer the rest of the globe.
The headline without context was intended to give the impression that ME men could solve the low fertility ''crisis'' by impregnating western women. What other reason could you have had for posting it without the actual article or any quotes from it? NM appeared to be triggered by your trolling even if AB didn't fall for it.
Not really triggered.

I’m Catholic.

Naturally, my wife is already pregnant. ;)

Ex-California

Post by Ex-California » Mon Oct 23, 2017 6:41 pm

C-Mag wrote:The Czech Republic shifts toward the Polish and Hungarian model
Take a big issue, such as European integration. Although the pre-election programme of ANO appears to be explicitly pro-European, Babiš has opposed the adoption of the euro, denounced EU migrant quotas, and generally criticised European integration using discourse that is all too reminiscent of the radical right. ANO’s key catch concept of `pragmatism’ seems to boil down to a striking and explicit absence of any ideology, suggesting that it is primarily a political arm of Babiš’s business empire, making it more like a Ukrainian, rather than a central European style party..
http://blogs.lse.ac.uk/europpblog/2017/ ... ian-model/
Here comes the Visegrád Group https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Visegr%C3%A1d_Group
Based Czech Republic

I'm in love with Eastern Europe for the first time in my life

Czech President Milos Zeman holds a mock assault rifle with the inscription “At journalists” and a bottle of Becherovka liquor instead of the ammunition clip presented him at a news conference on Oct. 20. (Miroslav Chaloupka/CTK/AP)

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wor ... 1ab5a328d5
No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session

TheReal_ND

Post by TheReal_ND » Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:31 pm

Czechs are going to get something resembling our second amendment soon. It's basically a right to own firearms like pistols etc for home defense iirc. I think the PM or whatever said his wife is already carrying so she's one more person that's going to defend him outside of his armed retinue. From what I've seen posted from Czechs it's all being fought against. The opposition doesn't want it to pass. Parliamentary battles or something.

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:36 pm

nmoore63 wrote:
Montegriffo wrote:
The good news is that other regions of the world have gone through this already. The Middle East has been grappling with serious male infertility problems for decades. It has lessons to offer the rest of the globe.
The headline without context was intended to give the impression that ME men could solve the low fertility ''crisis'' by impregnating western women. What other reason could you have had for posting it without the actual article or any quotes from it? NM appeared to be triggered by your trolling even if AB didn't fall for it.
Not really triggered.

I’m Catholic.

I'll conceed to mislead rather than triggered if it helps. ;)
For legal reasons, we are not threatening to destroy U.S. government property with our glorious medieval siege engine. But if we wanted to, we could. But we won’t. But we could.

nmoore63

Post by nmoore63 » Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:09 pm

Montegriffo wrote:
nmoore63 wrote: Not really triggered.

I’m Catholic.

I'll conceed to mislead rather than triggered if it helps. ;)
By fife, or the NYT?

Aren’t titles chosen by the editor? Are titles no less part of the news content than the rest?

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:39 pm

California wrote: Based Czech Republic

I'm in love with Eastern Europe for the first time in my life

Czech President Milos Zeman holds a mock assault rifle with the inscription “At journalists” and a bottle of Becherovka liquor instead of the ammunition clip presented him at a news conference on Oct. 20. (Miroslav Chaloupka/CTK/AP)

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wor ... 1ab5a328d5

I'm descended from many Eastern Europeans, Slovakia and Austria specifically, so I've always had a soft spot. It seems to me that many people forget that Eastern Europeans have a long history of Muslim invasions they have pushed back for a millennia. Eastern European Christians and Muslims have a history...... a bloody one.
PLATA O PLOMO

Don't fear authority, Fear Obedience

nmoore63

Post by nmoore63 » Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:02 pm

BjornP

Post by BjornP » Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:53 am

Okeefenokee wrote:
Speaker to Animals wrote:
Okeefenokee wrote:
Bullshit. There was nothing like ISIS in the 19th century. You're reaching like hell with that one.

Barbary Coast pirates?
I'm not saying there's never been bad guys, but there's a reason IS got the reaction they did from the world, and I think that's because it has been a long long time since we saw a group act like that.

I doubt the barbary pirates were putting kids in meat grinders.
Keep in mind that today, thanks to instant global reporting, all of us are seeing and hearing more about what goes on in the rest world than 18th or 19th people did. I don't think know if the Barbary states were as reliogiusly fanatic as IS. I doubt it, but I also expect the source material to be slim. I doubt the Barbary pirates kept diaries of any baby-grinding, after all.
Fame is not flattery. Respect is not agreement.