Another Reason the Wall is Dumb

Montegriffo

Re: Another Reason the Wall is Dumb

Post by Montegriffo » Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:08 pm

StCapps wrote:Many wall haters refuse to spend even one cent on border security though, as long as the image of a wall is attached to the plan.
Unsubstantiated claim.
For legal reasons, we are not threatening to destroy U.S. government property with our glorious medieval siege engine. But if we wanted to, we could. But we won’t. But we could.

StCapps

Post by StCapps » Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:09 pm

Montegriffo wrote:
StCapps wrote:Many wall haters refuse to spend even one cent on border security though, as long as the image of a wall is attached to the plan.
Unsubstantiated claim.
You and Kath are two such examples. Every time I say the fine details are open to negotiation, y'all retort, "NO! We want to spend the money on something else instead, therefore there will be no compromise, we won't support any version of a wall, it's a waste of money!"
*yip*

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:13 pm

StCapps wrote:
Montegriffo wrote:
Unsubstantiated claim.
You and Kath are two such examples. Every time I say the fine details are open to negotiation, y'all retort, "NO! We want to spend the money on something else instead, therefore there will be no compromise, we won't support any version of a wall, it's a waste of money!"
Nope. Just think a wall is a dumb idea, there are much better ways of acheiving fewer immigrants. Prosecuting businesses who employ illegals for instance.
For legal reasons, we are not threatening to destroy U.S. government property with our glorious medieval siege engine. But if we wanted to, we could. But we won’t. But we could.

StCapps

Post by StCapps » Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:14 pm

Montegriffo wrote:
StCapps wrote:
Montegriffo wrote: Unsubstantiated claim.
Nope. Just think a wall is a dumb idea, there are much better ways of acheiving fewer immigrants. Prosecuting businesses who employ illegals for instance.
So you are willing to approve a deal that included some form of a wall on the southern border, as long as it includes "much better ways of achieving fewer illegal immigrants"? Or are you so anti-wall, you'd refuse that deal, even if the bulk of the deal didn't even focus on the wall, and it's just a token add-on whose visual anchor helps to sell the rest of the plan?
Last edited by StCapps on Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:24 pm, edited 3 times in total.
*yip*

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:16 pm

StCapps wrote:
C-Mag wrote:
StCapps wrote:Someone gets it. The wall haters refuse to spend even one cent on border security though, as long as the image of a wall is attached to the plan, that just rubs them wrong way, fuck rationality.

Has to be a direct tradeoff, we complete X miles of wall, then Y number of DACA hobos get a bonified.
If they make the deal on the promise to build the wall or much of any border security Trump will get fucked and they won't fund it.

IMO, Trump understands they will try to fuck him at every turn.
Trump is planning on trading DACA amnesty for The Wall, that was always his plan, as I've been saying for over a year now. Trump is on it, the Dems will cave, and he'll get more than he ever dreamed of on immigration just because of his outrageous opening offer.
I Concur. Now a bunch of Trumpists will say that would be the death of Trump. It won't. It a common sense move.

Trump is going to get a Canadian Merit based Immigration Policy. Might not get it done til his 2nd Term, but he will.
PLATA O PLOMO

Don't fear authority, Fear Obedience

StCapps

Post by StCapps » Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:23 pm

To compromise or not compromise? That is the question I pose to The Wall Haters of the MHF, what's it going to be?

If the answer is no compromise, then I guess my claim isn't unsubstantiated, now is it?
*yip*

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:25 pm

Compromise is good. 2500 mile long vanity projects are not.

StCapps

Post by StCapps » Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:27 pm

Montegriffo wrote:Compromise is good. 2500 mile long vanity projects are not.
Agreed. Now let's talk about the kind of border wall that you would be willing to compromise for, as opposed to focusing on deals that you refuse to compromise for.

What is the most you are willing spend on the wall, if you get your wish list of immigration reform to go with it? Since the answer isn't "zero cents", then how much would you spend to sell Republicans and Trump on the rest of the deal by giving them their token wall?

These are the kinds of questions that you should be asking yourself, simply saying the wall is dumb, that is a lame conversation angle, so ditch it already, it's holding back quality conversation on the topic.
*yip*

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:36 pm

StCapps wrote:
Agreed. Now let's talk about the kind of border wall that you would be willing to compromise for, as opposed to focusing on deals that you refuse to compromise for.

What is the most you are willing spend on the wall, if you get your wish list of immigration reform to go with it? Since the answer isn't "zero cents", then how much would you spend to sell Republicans and Trump on the rest of the deal by giving them their token wall?

OK, now were getting somewhere.

The Democrats want DACA hobos made bonafied, No Wall, Keep Chain Migration, keep low skilled workers coming in.
PLATA O PLOMO

Don't fear authority, Fear Obedience

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:49 pm

StCapps wrote:

These are the kinds of questions that you should be asking yourself, simply saying the wall is dumb, that is a lame conversation angle, so ditch it already, it's holding back quality conversation on the topic.
Well I don't simply say it's dumb. I say it's ineffective, a waste of resources, a vanity project and damaging to the environment. You have made up your mind that I hate border security though so you never hear me.

How much would I spend on the wall? One cent. How much would I spend on effective border control measures? Whatever the people think is a reasonable amount to spend. Not what Trump feels is enough to ensure re-election or whatever his real motives are bearing in mind he employs immigrants over Americans at Mara lago and other golf resorts he owns.