Pedestrian Bridge Collapse, FIU, S Florida

Fife

Re: Pedestrian Bridge Collapse, FIU, S Florida

Post by Fife » Thu Mar 15, 2018 5:06 pm

Muh roadzzz

The innovative installation method significantly reduced risks to workers, pedestrians and motorists and minimized traffic disruptions, FIU said. The architecturally distinctive, cable-supported bridge is the product of a collaboration between MCM Construction and FIGG Bridge Design, the firm responsible for the iconic Sunshine Skyway Bridge over Tampa Bay.

Students and faculty have long been clamoring for a bridge at the 109th Street crossing, where students on foot have to get across seven lanes of jam-packed traffic that divide the campus from Sweetwater. Though FIU provides shuttles, many students prefer to walk. In August, FIU undergraduate Alexis Dale was hit and killed by a motorist while crossing the intersection.

The $14.2 million bridge, funded by the U.S. Department of Transportation, also includes new sidewalks and a plaza. The project will also boast benches, tables, shade and even Wi-Fi. It’s all part of a broader FIU-led “prosperity” project that aims to curb traffic congestion in the area and help Sweetwater improve its downtown, which sits just north of the bridge.

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/local/c ... 06084.html

MilSpecs

Post by MilSpecs » Thu Mar 15, 2018 5:14 pm

Okeefenokee wrote:
MilSpecs wrote:
Okeefenokee wrote:
The designers and builders of the bridge were government contractors. That's what I said. The group of us here have many years of direct experience between us working with government contractors.

There's a different standard when you're working for the government. It's a standard that would never fly for a private business.

Think about this, while that bridge was being built, city building inspectors were all over town hassling private builders over residential building codes.
But it has little to do with affirmative action or minorities. The people who build infrastructure are often just connected. They're more about no-show jobs than outright incompetence.
You have no idea if it involved affirmative action hires or not.

Let me guess, you don't have any experience with it either?

The government contracted construction crew paving the walking path across UT right now, for the second time in less than a year, is lousy with affirmative action hired women standing around holding safety flags while the men haul load after load of bricks.
Experience all day, every day. Most contractors are good, some aren't.

I'm wondering where you live that hundreds of women are standing around holding flags. There are maybe two flags for each job. I've never seen a woman in the crews here and I never asked when I was doing the hiring. That said, basic math says that most of the people on a job are men.
:royalty-queen:

Okeefenokee

Post by Okeefenokee » Thu Mar 15, 2018 5:18 pm

Hanarchy Montanarchy wrote:
Okeefenokee wrote:
They weren't working for the government, they were private business contracted by the government, and they fucked up the contract. Lockheed is a 'government contractor,' pretty sure it is still a private, for-profit company.
:roll:

Tell us what you know about it, personally, or shut the fuck up.
I know, personally, what the words 'government contractor' mean, and clearly, you do not.
The rest of your uninformed, based purely on ignorance, opinions on the matter will be dutifully filed away.

GrumpyCatFace wrote:Dumb slut partied too hard and woke up in a weird house. Ran out the door, weeping for her failed life choices, concerned townsfolk notes her appearance and alerted the fuzz.

viewtopic.php?p=60751#p60751

Okeefenokee

Post by Okeefenokee » Thu Mar 15, 2018 5:21 pm

Fife wrote:Muh roadzzz

The innovative installation method significantly reduced risks to workers, pedestrians and motorists and minimized traffic disruptions, FIU said. The architecturally distinctive, cable-supported bridge is the product of a collaboration between MCM Construction and FIGG Bridge Design, the firm responsible for the iconic Sunshine Skyway Bridge over Tampa Bay.

Students and faculty have long been clamoring for a bridge at the 109th Street crossing, where students on foot have to get across seven lanes of jam-packed traffic that divide the campus from Sweetwater. Though FIU provides shuttles, many students prefer to walk. In August, FIU undergraduate Alexis Dale was hit and killed by a motorist while crossing the intersection.

The $14.2 million bridge, funded by the U.S. Department of Transportation, also includes new sidewalks and a plaza. The project will also boast benches, tables, shade and even Wi-Fi. It’s all part of a broader FIU-led “prosperity” project that aims to curb traffic congestion in the area and help Sweetwater improve its downtown, which sits just north of the bridge.

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/local/c ... 06084.html
Funny how the government keeps popping up in this project that has nothing to do with the government.
GrumpyCatFace wrote:Dumb slut partied too hard and woke up in a weird house. Ran out the door, weeping for her failed life choices, concerned townsfolk notes her appearance and alerted the fuzz.

Hanarchy Montanarchy

Post by Hanarchy Montanarchy » Thu Mar 15, 2018 5:23 pm

Okeefenokee wrote:
Okeefenokee wrote:
:roll:

Tell us what you know about it, personally, or shut the fuck up.
I know, personally, what the words 'government contractor' mean, and clearly, you do not.
The rest of your uninformed, based purely on ignorance, opinions on the matter will be dutifully filed away.

You want us to compare 'personal experience' stories like a bunch of nattering SJWs, and when I refuse, have nothing but swearing and insults.

Pretty typical.

/shrug
HAIL!

Her needs America so they won't just take his shit away like in some pussy non gun totting countries can happen.
-Hwen

Okeefenokee

Post by Okeefenokee » Thu Mar 15, 2018 5:26 pm

You want your uninformed opinions to be treated as though they are equal to the knowledge of the experienced.

Typical

/shrug

Hanarchy Montanarchy

Post by Hanarchy Montanarchy » Thu Mar 15, 2018 5:32 pm

Okeefenokee wrote:You want your uninformed opinions to be treated as though they are equal to the knowledge of the experienced.

Typical

/shrug
Do you think that if the government provides the funding for a project, that means the private company that does the work isn't culpable for their failures to complete said project in a satisfactory way?

This has nothing to do with my knowledge and experience, which you nothing about.
HAIL!

Her needs America so they won't just take his shit away like in some pussy non gun totting countries can happen.
-Hwen

Penner

Post by Penner » Thu Mar 15, 2018 5:32 pm

I heard about this event at the end of my work day and what happened? I also heard that there are at least several dead as well. Do they believe it was a structural failure or what?

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Thu Mar 15, 2018 5:38 pm

Penner wrote:I heard about this event at the end of my work day and what happened? I also heard that there are at least several dead as well. Do they believe it was a structural failure or what?
To much vibrancy, same as every other problem...
For legal reasons, we are not threatening to destroy U.S. government property with our glorious medieval siege engine. But if we wanted to, we could. But we won’t. But we could.

Okeefenokee

Post by Okeefenokee » Thu Mar 15, 2018 5:44 pm

Okeefenokee wrote:You want your uninformed opinions to be treated as though they are equal to the knowledge of the experienced.

Typical

/shrug
Do you think that if the government provides the funding for a project, that means the private company that does the work isn't culpable for their failures to complete said project in a satisfactory way?

This has nothing to do with my knowledge and experience, which you nothing about.
I don't think it. I know it. I've seen it happen. Over and over and over.

When the government is signing the checks, the standards go down.