Social Justice Warriors Thread

Speaker to Animals

Re: Social Justice Warriors Thread

Post by Speaker to Animals » Thu Dec 21, 2017 3:17 pm

Zlaxer wrote:Christmas trees are Pagan....we're debating this? (seriously)

Seriously. It's not pagan. At all. It derives from St. Boniface. It's a German Christian cultural invention. Not German pagan.

It's one of those Enlightenment myths that "everybody" is just supposed to know is true, like the myth about how medieval people thought the Earth was flat. It's simply untrue.

BjornP

Post by BjornP » Thu Dec 21, 2017 3:34 pm

Speaker to Animals wrote:
BjornP wrote:

LOL

Straw man. Mistletoe is pagan. Attacking that does not address the historical fact that the origin of the Christmas tree is in St. Boniface.
Your idea of "historical fact" and what historians would call historical fact is clearly at odds, then. The historical source material puts Christmas trees several centuries after Boniface. Do find me either a historian or at the very least some historical sources to back up claims that claim Christmas trees originated, as you claim, with Boniface. I've provided Boniface's vitae already. Do feel free to sift through St. Boniface's own letters to find some arguments to defend your case. There was a reference to them on the same page as the vitae of Boniface.

Look at yourself!

I just gave you the historical text that describes, at least from the perspective of a cultural narrative, how the Christmas tree began, and your response is to stick to your guns and say, "well, my source said it happened several centuries after that so that can't be real history!"

Are you disputing the age of the text I quoted??

These accounts came from St. Boniface himself in letters. Whether or not you choose to believe his account is of no import. The German people themselves saw this as the origin of the Christmas tree in the ancient world.
The age of the text you quoted? You mean this?
“This little tree, a young child of the forest, shall be your holy tree tonight. It is the wood of peace… It is the sign of an endless life, for its leaves are ever green. See how it points upward to heaven. Let this be called the tree of the Christ-child; gather about it, not in the wild wood, but in your own homes; there it will shelter no deeds of blood, but loving gifts and rites of kindness.”
Check the references in your the link you quoted from, StA. It's this guy being quoted: https://ourladyofhope.net/parish/fr-saunders/

Not that I am "disputing" the age of that text... given how you didn't make any claims about its age to dispute.

As for "those accounts came from St. Boniface himself". The text you quoted did not come from him, obviously. I have no real trouble believing Boniface, and definitely none taking him serious as a historical source.

I do have trouble believing your claims about his accounts. Are you willing to provide a quote from him, then? Here's a link to a collection of his correspondence: Where does it mention anything that can be interpreted as him creating the tradition of Christmas trees.

https://sourcebooks.fordham.edu/basis/b ... etters.asp
Fame is not flattery. Respect is not agreement.

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Thu Dec 21, 2017 3:36 pm

Dude, I am not really interested in playing these semantic games. Last time we went down this road, you went postal when I mentioned the fact that the Roman servile wars were motivated by the Dionysian cults, and when you got your ass handed to you, instead of admitting you were wrong, you just said you were going to light up Daniele Bolelli for being wrong.

St. Boniface himself wrote about how the practice began. It was LONG before your example. /done

BjornP

Post by BjornP » Thu Dec 21, 2017 4:05 pm

St. Boniface himself wrote about how the practice began. It was LONG before your example. /done
Then it ought to be easy to provide a reference. Apparantly Bonificace wrote about it in some other correspondence than the ones I linked to? K. Where, what's the source called?
Fame is not flattery. Respect is not agreement.

MilSpecs

Post by MilSpecs » Thu Dec 21, 2017 6:18 pm

Okeefenokee wrote:We were countering milspecs' asinine assertion that fundamentalism is close to taking over the US gov't.
I said nothing of the sort.
:royalty-queen:

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Thu Dec 21, 2017 11:34 pm

Weird that the early church was arguing about this in the 3rd century.

I guess it’s all about that dudes letters though - I mean, couldn’t be that it’s just a metaphor for wiping out the worship of Thor, by The Power of Bishopness or anything.
SJWs are a natural consequence of corporatism.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

https://youtu.be/CYbT8-rSqo0

Zlaxer

Post by Zlaxer » Fri Dec 22, 2017 7:38 am

Zlaxer wrote:Christmas trees are Pagan....we're debating this? (seriously)

Seriously. It's not pagan. At all. It derives from St. Boniface. It's a German Christian cultural invention. Not German pagan.

It's one of those Enlightenment myths that "everybody" is just supposed to know is true, like the myth about how medieval people thought the Earth was flat. It's simply untrue.

Whatever's - everyone knows American Christmas Trees started in Connecticut :RollyClown:

http://www.connecticutmag.com/the-conne ... 36e97.html
A stone monument in the park behind the Noden-Reed Museum in Windsor Locks reads: “Site of the first decorated Christmas tree in New England.” Local tradition holds that the original tree this marker commemorates was not only the first Christmas tree in New England, but the first to be raised for the holiday in the New World.

Ex-California

Post by Ex-California » Fri Dec 22, 2017 8:05 am

My tree is a Saturnalia bush

fight me
No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session

TheReal_ND

Post by TheReal_ND » Sun Dec 24, 2017 11:46 am

YOUR ATTENTION PLEASE

CHRISTMAS IS RAPE

lol I just realized they literally reported as news some random forum thread. How long until they report on our threads?

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Sun Dec 24, 2017 12:08 pm

The Mother of God literally consented. Maybe she should try reading the Gospel some time. God sent the archangel Gabriel to ask for her consent. It's called the Annuciation FFS.