Brexit

Hanarchy Montanarchy

Re: Brexit

Post by Hanarchy Montanarchy » Sat Nov 18, 2017 3:00 pm

Montegriffo wrote:
Hanarchy Montanarchy wrote:I don't think that being a pro-Brexit American has all that much to do with Brexit, Monte.
Oh I'm fully aware that it's all part of the anti-immigration agenda of people completely uninformed about the consequences for the UK. I'm still going to continue pointing out their ignorance though, I see it as my patriotic duty.
It is more a hope that trade protectionism will actually work, be a viable alternative to 'globalism,' and provide a template for an economic policy that works better for citizens or subjects.

That is, at least, the most charitable version of the argument. It is just based in a lot of wishful thinking.

There is a narrow path where a weakened pound helps UK exporters and helps to offset inflation, but that relies on a lot of moving parts with many, many bilateral trade deals locking in with domestic monetary policy and investment.

Fingers crossed.
HAIL!

Her needs America so they won't just take his shit away like in some pussy non gun totting countries can happen.
-Hwen

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Sat Nov 18, 2017 3:05 pm

Hanarchy Montanarchy wrote:
Montegriffo wrote:
Hanarchy Montanarchy wrote:I don't think that being a pro-Brexit American has all that much to do with Brexit, Monte.
Oh I'm fully aware that it's all part of the anti-immigration agenda of people completely uninformed about the consequences for the UK. I'm still going to continue pointing out their ignorance though, I see it as my patriotic duty.
It is more a hope that trade protectionism will actually work, be a viable alternative to 'globalism,' and provide a template for an economic policy that works better for citizens or subjects.

That is, at least, the most charitable version of the argument. It is just based in a lot of wishful thinking.

There is a narrow path where a weakened pound helps UK exporters and helps to offset inflation, but that relies on a lot of moving parts with many, many bilateral trade deals locking in with domestic monetary policy and investment.

Fingers crossed.
Unfortunately we import far more than we export so the overall effect is negative. Once tariffs are applied it will mean even more inflation. Maggie must be spinning in her grave.
For legal reasons, we are not threatening to destroy U.S. government property with our glorious medieval siege engine. But if we wanted to, we could. But we won’t. But we could.

Hanarchy Montanarchy

Post by Hanarchy Montanarchy » Sat Nov 18, 2017 3:09 pm

Montegriffo wrote:
Hanarchy Montanarchy wrote:
Montegriffo wrote: Oh I'm fully aware that it's all part of the anti-immigration agenda of people completely uninformed about the consequences for the UK. I'm still going to continue pointing out their ignorance though, I see it as my patriotic duty.

Fingers crossed.
Unfortunately we import far more than we export so the overall effect is negative. Once tariffs are applied it will mean even more inflation. Maggie must be spinning in her grave.
Ah, but you see, it will be very hard to keep up all the importing with the pound in the toilet.

Problem solved?
HAIL!

Her needs America so they won't just take his shit away like in some pussy non gun totting countries can happen.
-Hwen

Ex-California

Post by Ex-California » Sat Nov 18, 2017 5:46 pm

That’s fine, you fought two world wars to avoid being Germany’s bitch, now most of you will voluntarily choose that option

Enjoy losing your Great Power status and being confined to the dustbin of former empires now shitholes like Spain and Portugal
No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:17 pm

California wrote:That’s fine, you fought two world wars to avoid being Germany’s bitch, now most of you will voluntarily choose that option

Enjoy losing your Great Power status and being confined to the dustbin of former empires now shitholes like Spain and Portugal
Who do you think was standing up to Germany? Who is left in the EU that has the power or the inclination to do it once we leave?
You really have no idea what you are talking about. Maybe you should just stick to surf forums and ranting about glassing Mecca. :roll:
For legal reasons, we are not threatening to destroy U.S. government property with our glorious medieval siege engine. But if we wanted to, we could. But we won’t. But we could.

Heraclius

Post by Heraclius » Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:25 pm

California wrote:That’s fine, you fought two world wars to avoid being Germany’s bitch, now most of you will voluntarily choose that option

Spain's economy is doing pretty well for itself at the moment. IIRC they have over 3% GDP growth rate right now, the highest in all of Europe.

The UK was effectively leading the "anti federalism" agenda in the EU and had a deal that was the envy of most nations within the EU. The past situation was more of the UK being another leading voice in the EU rather than an the isolated economic power it currently has become. By leaving the EU, they have effectively become Germany's bitch due to the extremely uneven balance of trade between the EU and the UK. The only way that the UK could come out of this situation looking as a freedom fighter against German tyranny is if the elections of this year ended up putting other populist parties in power causing a general collapse of the EU and then allowing a separate bloc of nations to form. The current situation is simply the definition of backfire.

Really on the political front, Brexit was a totally unnecessary risk in order for the UK to gain a larger voice in European politics. I mean there definitely was a situation where it would be viewed as an excellent political move in hindsight, but it would require 5-6 different dominoes in separate European countries falling all into place. Far too much risk when the UK was already in a comfortable position with the EU leadership. That's just my analysis of it, though.

TheReal_ND

Post by TheReal_ND » Sat Nov 25, 2017 10:37 am

*eep eep creak eep squeak eep eep*

Oi, wot seems to be the 'urry?

>see a kid riding in his soapbox car
>suddenly kid turns on flashing lights
>kid is actually a police officer, starts yelling "pull over you cheeky twat, in the name of sharia law, pull over."
>start driving 40km/h and lose the guy

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Sat Nov 25, 2017 11:21 am

Turns out Brexit isn't as simple as just walking away. Who knew?
https://www.channel4.com/news/how-do-br ... vorce-bill

The divorce bill could be as much as £40 billion and we don't even get to discuss the terms of the divorce until we agree to pay up.
#notmychoice

To put it into perspective, 40 billion is almost 5 years worth of contributing to the EU but without having any of the trade benefits.

TheReal_ND

Post by TheReal_ND » Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:50 am

Oi you cheeky cunt I'm a girl lemme in the shower in the name of Allah!

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Tue Nov 28, 2017 5:14 pm

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/po ... 93216.html
Government refusing to publish 50 'secret' studies on Brexit impact
But ministers are so far resisting calls to publish the findings of the investigations in full – arguing that some findings “would undermine the Government’s ability to negotiate the best deal for Britain” were they made public.

It comes after one leaked piece of research by the Department of Health found that Brexit could cause a shortage of more than 40,000 nurses by 2026.

Green Party MEP Molly Scott Cato, who wrote to ministers about the studies, said: “The only reason they wouldn’t publish these studies is because they reveal what they don’t want people to hear: that a hard Brexit will be a disaster for our economy, for our environmental standards and for our workers’ rights.