Net Neutrality

nmoore63

Re: Net Neutrality

Post by nmoore63 » Mon Nov 27, 2017 7:53 pm

(Double post)
Last edited by nmoore63 on Mon Nov 27, 2017 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nmoore63

Post by nmoore63 » Mon Nov 27, 2017 7:56 pm

KerningChameleon wrote:
nmoore63 wrote:Yet some how you consider ISPs to be special demons.
Yes, actually, because unlike the others I described, they control the intarweb pipes coming into my house. I already have to deal with NN-less shit with my awful mobile plans capping me at 6 GB a month at the $45 plan Pay-as-You-Go plan, and it'd be bumped up to a mere 22 GB at the $65 plan, which is as high as the PaYG plans for them go. And AT&T's competitors might offer "Unlimited" pay as you go data, but their actual wireless coverage sucks in comparison.

I tolerate it, though, because I can just come back home, connect to my nice fast Wifi, and watch all the dumb cat videos and car repair videos I want without worrying about the meter. Without NN, I might lose that option entirely. I could have a similar situation to my miserly data while paying the exact same fees, which sucks because having cut the cord otherwise has been pretty sweet, all told.
Not where I live they don’t.

There is no shortcut to holding your government accountable for causing for profit monopolies.

Stop trying to crush innovation and freedom long term to address near term symptoms.

KerningChameleon

Post by KerningChameleon » Mon Nov 27, 2017 7:58 pm

nmoore63 wrote:Not where I live they don’t.

There is no shortcut to holding your government accountable for causing for profit monopolies.

Stop trying to crush innovation and freedom long term to address near term symptoms.
How nice for you, now please realize the US is a just a touch bigger than your neighborhood block, and other people's options for internet tend to get slimmer and slimmer the farther they get from the megametropolis city cores. Repealing the NN rules would allow the ISPs to further restrict options to their customers, not increase them.

Here's a hint, if the ISPs are profiting so much from NN, why do they want it repealed so bad if it would open them up to the kind of competition you envision? Seems dumb as hell to me if the gravy train for them is supposedly so sweet already.
"Old World Blues.' It refers to those so obsessed with the past they can't see the present, much less the future, for what it is. They stare into the what-was...as the realities of their world continue on around them." -Fallout New Vegas

nmoore63

Post by nmoore63 » Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:05 pm

I refuse to accept that my town and county are unique in the US.

If mine can do it, so can yours.

KerningChameleon

Post by KerningChameleon » Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:12 pm

nmoore63 wrote:I refuse to accept that my town and county are unique in the US.
Yes, that appears to the be crux of the problem here: a complete unwillingness to recognize any part of the world could be different from the part you live in, and thus anyone living differently must be having trouble because of their own obvious ignorance.

Something tells me you also espouse States' Rights and talk about how federal solutions cannot account for individual regional situations, for maximum irony.
"Old World Blues.' It refers to those so obsessed with the past they can't see the present, much less the future, for what it is. They stare into the what-was...as the realities of their world continue on around them." -Fallout New Vegas

nmoore63

Post by nmoore63 » Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:35 pm

KerningChameleon wrote:
nmoore63 wrote:I refuse to accept that my town and county are unique in the US.
Yes, that appears to the be crux of the problem here: a complete unwillingness to recognize any part of the world could be different from the part you live in, and thus anyone living differently must be having trouble because of their own obvious ignorance.

Something tells me you also espouse States' Rights and talk about how federal solutions cannot account for individual regional situations, for maximum irony.
Tell me, has Comcast improved mightily since Net Neutrality the last 2 years?

I am not unfamiliar with how much Comcast fists you.

Comcast doesn’t even offer service where I live because they are not competitive.

Net Neutrality is a non solution.

unless you are dealing with the actual cause, then all the rest of this is bullshit.

KerningChameleon

Post by KerningChameleon » Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:09 pm

The "cause" is the ISPs have no intention of competing. They don't want to compete with each other. They get together and draw up their respective borders to make sure they don't ever compete with each other. I live in Charter country, Comcast has never aired a single ad here, and they never will (unless they merge with Charter at some point). They use their monopoly power to keep the barrier of entry high specifically to keep the little ISPs you enjoy from arising in areas like mine.

Do I want their monopolistic power broken up? Of course I do, but that would require one of those abhorrent little acts of federal government you hate so much to bring down anti-trust violations. And besides that, I would love to know your plan for everyone building competing infrastructure telecom lines crisscrossing all over the damn place, that somehow doesn't involve the government managing how the land required for them all is used.

We can't have truly private phone, power, and internet lines for the same reason we don't have a totally private road system: it would be individual, inefficient toll road madness. It ain't the frontier days anymore, the places where the most people live in the developed world now are just far too densely developed to tolerate such extravagant land usage.

Net Neutrality isn't designed to improve the ISPs, it's to prevent them from making the overall market situation worse for their own short-sighted profit. It's a guardrail. Not all change is beneficial.

nmoore63

Post by nmoore63 » Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:20 pm

KerningChameleon wrote:The "cause" is the ISPs have no intention of competing.
Getting closer Padawan.

ISPs compete where I live, so clearly such a condition is not a prerequisite.

One more layer deep.

There you will find the cancer that gives your stomach so much trouble.

The treatment you have proscribed will offer you only the most basic of comfort if you are unwilling to address the root cause.

KerningChameleon

Post by KerningChameleon » Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:33 pm

nmoore63 wrote:
KerningChameleon wrote:The "cause" is the ISPs have no intention of competing.
Getting closer Padawan.

ISPs compete where I live, so clearly such a condition is not a prerequisite.

One more layer deep.

There you will find the cancer that gives your stomach so much trouble.

The treatment you have proscribed will offer you only the most basic of comfort if you are unwilling to address the root cause.
You can't get rid of government. Not truly. Even if we all turned into bomb-throwing anarchists and overthrew the governmental bodies and shouted "No Gods, No Masters, Only Men" at the top of our lungs, government would still exist. It's just would exist de facto in the form of corporations and organized crime gangs beholden to their shareholders and profit margins, not the consent of the people and their right of vote.

The human creature, in aggregate, always forms into a hierarchical social structure. Government exists because humans desire some measure of order and security, and that some members of society must specialize into such management roles full time to adequately meet said market demands for order and security. If you want the concept of government destroyed, then what you truly desire is a complete rewrite in fundamental human psychology on a massive scale. Which I actually support, but at that point we've entered transhumanism territory, frankly.

Okeefenokee

Post by Okeefenokee » Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:43 pm

nmoore63 wrote:
Penner wrote:
nmoore63 wrote: Because it doesn’t.

Net neutrality starts from the false premise that all data is equal.

It’s not.
So you actually don't mind paying extra (and on top of your monthly fee) for sites like Netflix, Hulu, MHF, etc...?

It just sounds so stupid when people are trying to support getting ride of net neutrality.
I believe in free competition and let the consumer determine what the best isp strategies are.

I do not believe in a government mandated one.
This is it in a nutshell. I saw a good piece a while back about the question in the early days of the internet to pay or not to pay, and the problems arising from choosing not to pay.

Saying you shouldn't have to pay more or less, and it should all be equal, is like saying all cars should cost the same.

Most of us just got back from seeing the family. Everyone was driving different cars, and everyone paid differently according to which car it was.
GrumpyCatFace wrote:Dumb slut partied too hard and woke up in a weird house. Ran out the door, weeping for her failed life choices, concerned townsfolk notes her appearance and alerted the fuzz.

viewtopic.php?p=60751#p60751