Another School Shooting

Otern

Re: Another School Shooting

Post by Otern » Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:56 am

Speaker to Animals wrote:A big part of it is the culture. If Norway were to give me a second life to start over, I wouldn't go there trying to make Norway into America. I would speak Norwegian. I would adopt Norwegian customs as much as possible. I would respect their culture and history.

But let's be honest here. Few of us can actually say that about Muslim nations. I doubt many of you would be able to move to Iran and adopt the local customs, respect them, etc. etc. You would vomit all over your shirt the first time you see some girl being stoned to death, or a gay man being hung from a crane at some construction site.

It's silly to expect them to feel the same way about us as well.. Something to ponder.
Yeah, there I agree. But this is more of a broader argument against immigration, than "ban muslims from entering, because sometimes they blow stuff up".

Extremely few muslims turn into terrorists, and that terrorism does very little actual harm, compared to how often we speak about it. But a considerable amount of muslims fail to adopt local customs, and that is a reasonable argument against immigration.

Otern

Post by Otern » Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:09 am

Hastur wrote: I guess it comes down to one of them being the price of American culture (acceptable in the US) and the other one being the price of middle eastern culture (acceptable there but not in the US)
The biggest mystery to me is why some Europeans are so obsessed with complaining about US gun laws. You don't like their laws? Fine, don't go there then and you'll be safe from them.

Complaining about the culture and laws of the other goes both ways, but I suspect it has a lot to do with how the media functions.

It functions more as propaganda/advertising, where the primary focus of the media is to make the target feel like their beliefs and opinions are validated, in order to sell.

People don't want to be upset, so they'll stick to whatever media lets them off the hook. The solutions offered will be whatever means the reader itself won't have to take any responsibility for.

If people die due to guns, solutions are gun control for non-gun owners, and personal responsibility/stricter punishment for law breakers, for law abiding gun owners. Going deeper and campaigning for improved mental health, or improved correctional systems, which will cost a lot for both gun owners, and non-gun owners alike are dismissed, as that would have a cost for both of them.

The whole deal just stinks of "you guys, sort this shit out, but I'm doing great".

GloryofGreece

Post by GloryofGreece » Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:10 am

I hear a lot of people say improve mental health or be more aware etc. What exactly would improve the mental health and well being of a generally obviously sick society? More drugs? More laws? Its a revolt against the societal system we have had in place for years now. There's a small number of schizophrenic in any culture but all the shooters in America are not bipolar or schizo. But a lot of people have faulty coping mechanism and no real sound family structure. Good luck improving on those things. That would require effort and what would be the stick to force people to have better families exactly? Health awareness and antibullying campaigns are one thing but enforcing cultural change is essentially tyrannical at this point.
https://www.amazon.com/Surviving-Americ ... n+epidemic
The good, the true, & the beautiful

Fife

Post by Fife » Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:01 am

Fife

Post by Fife » Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:01 am

Fife

Post by Fife » Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:02 am

Fife

Post by Fife » Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:03 am

Fife

Post by Fife » Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:03 am

Fife

Post by Fife » Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:07 am

I'd like to have the veterans' opinions on this:

‘He’s earned a 21-gun salute’: Internet bands together to give heroic JROTC Cadet a funeral with full Military honors
A petition on the White House website was started on Friday to call on the President to give a JROTC Cadet who died in the Marjory Douglas Stoneman High School shooting a full honors military burial.
I'd like to hear everyone's opinion on this, actually, but especially the veterans, former JROTC cadets, parents of cadets, &c.

But anybody who pays taxes to keep the gun-free-zone killing pens open should have a take as well.

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:12 am

Full military honors for a cadet? No. Bear in mind what FMH means; that's the JFK treatment with caisson and riderless horse, etc.

Standard military honors maybe, but even combat KIA's don't get FMH below the rank of Colonel.

Not gonna happen tho, they're not gonna give that kid FMH, these people are just blabbering on about shit they don't know.
Nec Aspera Terrent