StCapps Not Even Allowed To Start Threads Anymore

Smitty-48

Re: StCapps Not Even Allowed To Start Threads Anymore

Post by Smitty-48 » Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:11 pm

It's like my father, my grandparents moved the family from Vancouver to Los Angeles in the 1950's, so there was nowhere for him to play hockey, they were hockey fans, still Leaf fans, but there was nowhere to play and it wasn't on tv in California, so when he was growing up in SoCal, he played little league ball with all the other American kids, he didn't come back to Canada until after he graduated college, but when he did, he started playing men's league hockey, he had to, he had to get back in touch with his Canadian roots.

At first he sucked, he could barely skate, but he was relentless, he just kept going, getting better and better as he went, after a few years he was a force on the ice, power forward/enforcer, then he became a hockey coach, he kept going, he played hockey right to the end, he coached hockey right to the end, still playing at 64 years old, when cancer finally laid him low.
Nec Aspera Terrent

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:23 pm

My father never said "fan", he always said "student of the game", fan was not enough, he had to immerse himself in it, mind, body and soul.
Nec Aspera Terrent

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:28 pm

Ah hell, I'm choked up now, tears runnin' down my face.
Nec Aspera Terrent

StCapps

Post by StCapps » Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:42 pm

Smitty's father was a true Canadian, of that there is no doubt.
*yip*

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:43 pm

Auston Matthews, from San Ramon California, to the franchise first line center of the Toronto Maple Leafs, my father never lived to see him, swear to God, it breaks my heart.
Nec Aspera Terrent

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Fri Feb 16, 2018 3:56 pm

Smitty-48 wrote:Ah hell, I'm choked up now, tears runnin' down my face.
I inherited my love of the Olympics from my father. He was a runner in his youth. His father was the British army 110 yd dash champion. I ran middle distance and cross country.
The last conversation I ever had with my father was just after the 2008 games when GB had won their most medals since 1908. He was so happy and had watched every medal we won. I really wanted to take him to the London games but he died not long after Bejing.

Now can we call a truce on this stupid hockey v Olympics war and just honour each others love of different sports for the love of our fathers?
For legal reasons, we are not threatening to destroy U.S. government property with our glorious medieval siege engine. But if we wanted to, we could. But we won’t. But we could.

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Fri Feb 16, 2018 4:06 pm

My father was a super jock sportsman, if there was sports, he was into it, hockey, baseball, football, golf, tennis, auto racing, soccer, rugby, the Olympics, even cricket, whatever, there was no sport which my father did not like, sports was what he was all about.

I'm not as into sports as my father was, I've never met anyone who was into sports as my father was, but it's not that I have a prohibition against the Olympics, it's doesn't come before NHL hockey, Hockey First, everything else second.
Nec Aspera Terrent

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Fri Feb 16, 2018 4:14 pm

I'll even watch the Spengler Cup, but I'm not watching the Spengler Cup when is there is NHL hockey on, I mean, duh.
Nec Aspera Terrent

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Fri Feb 16, 2018 4:21 pm

Think of it this way, with the World Baseball Classic, Americans don't pay too much attention to it, but there's Major League players, so it does get some attention, but if there was a WBC, and no MLB players were in it, would American MLB fans tune in? Of course not, they barely tune in when there are MLB players playing.
Nec Aspera Terrent

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Fri Feb 16, 2018 4:22 pm

Smitty-48 wrote:My father was a super jock sportsman, if there was sports, he was into it, hockey, baseball, football, golf, tennis, auto racing, soccer, rugby, the Olympics, even cricket, whatever, there was no sport which my father did not like, sports was what he was all about.

I'm not as into sports as my father was, I've never met anyone who was into sports as my father was, but it's not that I have a prohibition against the Olympics, it's doesn't come before NHL hockey, Hockey First, everything else second.
So will you stop swamping every Olympics thread with NHL talk now?
For legal reasons, we are not threatening to destroy U.S. government property with our glorious medieval siege engine. But if we wanted to, we could. But we won’t. But we could.