Net Neutrality

SuburbanFarmer

Re: Net Neutrality

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:56 am

Penner wrote:Here is the article that I posted earlier about NN:
On Tuesday, the US Federal Communications Commission announced that it planned to vote on an order to roll back Obama-era rules governing net neutrality.

Simply put, net neutrality means that all data on the internet is treated equally. An internet service provider can't prioritize certain companies or types of data, charge users more to access certain websites and apps, or charge businesses for preferential access.

Advocates of net neutrality argue that it ensures a level playing field for everyone on the internet. Telecoms firms, however, are largely against it because of the additional restrictions it places on them.

But with the Republican-majority FCC likely to vote on December 14 in favor of rolling back the order, what might the American internet look like without net neutrality? Just look at Portugal.

The country's wireless carrier Meo offers a package that's very different from those available in the US. Users pay for traditional "data" — and on top of that, they pay for additional packages based on the kind of data and apps they want to use.
http://www.businessinsider.com/net-neut ... cc-2017-11

I also find it amazing that a number of people are so willing to let NN to die. It's like they don't like any protections and are willingly fine with their elected representatives voting away things that are design to not allow companies to screw you out of your money, rights, and property.
Anarcho-capitalism is really cool, until you realize that it benefits nobody you know, and leaves you to die in the street.

SJWs are a natural consequence of corporatism.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

https://youtu.be/CYbT8-rSqo0

Hastur

Post by Hastur » Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:12 am

We are getting a new fiber connection installed right now. One company is supplying the connection but we get to choose from a list of 22 ISP that they can connect us to. We will only have to pay the ISP. The fiber company gets a % from the ones we choose I guess.

The current solution is an older one, also fiber, but it is owned by the ISP and it is more expensive. We can chose to keep that one if we wish.

I can get internet, TV, Telephone connection or any combination. I only want internet wich leaves me with 103 different plans from 20 different ISPs to choose from.

An nescis, mi fili, quantilla prudentia mundus regatur? - Axel Oxenstierna

Nie lügen die Menschen so viel wie nach einer Jagd, während eines Krieges oder vor Wahlen. - Otto von Bismarck

Penner

Post by Penner » Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:16 am

Anarcho-capitalism in a nutshell:

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:18 am

Hastur wrote:We are getting a new fiber connection installed right now. One company is supplying the connection but we get to choose from a list of 22 ISP that they can connect us to. We will only have to pay the ISP. The fiber company gets a % from the ones we choose I guess.

The current solution is an older one, also fiber, but it is owned by the ISP and it is more expensive. We can chose to keep that one if we wish.

I can get internet, TV, Telephone connection or any combination. I only want internet wich leaves me with 103 different plans from 20 different ISPs to choose from.
Sounds like an actual market. Good for you.

Our company recently got a 100/100 fiber direct line from Spectrum. It seems that we're actually getting more like 50/12ish. But that's cool, because they're the only choice around here, so winning.
SJWs are a natural consequence of corporatism.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

https://youtu.be/CYbT8-rSqo0

Hastur

Post by Hastur » Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:55 am

GrumpyCatFace wrote:
Hastur wrote:We are getting a new fiber connection installed right now. One company is supplying the connection but we get to choose from a list of 22 ISP that they can connect us to. We will only have to pay the ISP. The fiber company gets a % from the ones we choose I guess.

Our company recently got a 100/100 fiber direct line from Spectrum. It seems that we're actually getting more like 50/12ish. But that's cool, because they're the only choice around here, so winning.
My cheapest option is 100/10 Mbit/s for $25/month. 1 month cancellation.
1/1 Gbit/s will cost me $88/month.
I will probably choose 250/100 Mbit/s for $38/month. I will go for the company who's customer service has the best reputation in the gaming community. They also almost always win the speed tests.

Nie lügen die Menschen so viel wie nach einer Jagd, während eines Krieges oder vor Wahlen. - Otto von Bismarck

ssu

Post by ssu » Mon Nov 27, 2017 12:01 pm

GrumpyCatFace wrote: Anarcho-capitalism is really cool, until you realize that it benefits nobody you know, and leaves you to die in the street.
Anarcho-capitalists are just silly dumb-ass cheerleaders for the Oligopolies that rule the World.

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Mon Nov 27, 2017 12:10 pm

Anarcho-capitalists are your resupply points once SHTF.

The Conservative

Post by The Conservative » Mon Nov 27, 2017 12:25 pm

Hastur wrote:
GrumpyCatFace wrote:

I will probably choose 250/100 Mbit/s for $38/month. I will go for the company who's customer service has the best reputation in the gaming community. They also almost always win the speed tests.
Gig up and down? Who offers that ar under $100?
#NotOneRedCent

Penner

Post by Penner » Mon Nov 27, 2017 12:27 pm

Hastur

Post by Hastur » Mon Nov 27, 2017 1:09 pm

The Conservative wrote:
Hastur wrote:
GrumpyCatFace wrote:

Gig up and down? Who offers that ar under $100?
These are my high speed options. 799kr = $96. Price include 25% VAT.