Trump's SCOTUS

K@th

Re: Trump's SCOTUS

Post by K@th » Fri Apr 07, 2017 12:15 pm

We are not a democracy. You know this. The House was designed to be flip-floppy, representing the mood of the people. That's why they have to re-up every two years. The Senate was designed to be more somber, more thoughtful; supposedly protecting our long term interests over the hot potato issue of the day. We're just a couple of years (or sooner) from the opposition party being completely irrelevant. This is not good for our country.

And laugh, giggle, etc... the red team will be out of power soon enough and then you watch what the loony left starts putting through. Human/turtle marriage will be legal the next time the Ds have a majority.
Account abandoned.

StCapps

Post by StCapps » Fri Apr 07, 2017 12:17 pm

You stopped appointing Senators long ago and started electing them. If you didn't want them to be as subject to the mob as Congressmen then you should have never allowed that. Getting rid of the Senate Filibuster will make them more sober, not less, the filibuster fuels partisan bullshit.

Needing 60% of Senate on board to get anything controversial passed through the legislature is just fucking stupid, good legislation doesn't pass unless it's also hyper popular and this results in the can getting kicked down the road far more often. Nothing ever really getting fixed because only shitty watered down bills can get through because they are the only bills popular enough to pass.

Hell even with good legislation that is hyper popular, the other side might not want your side to get credit for passing such good legislation and might filibuster you to prevent it. Getting rid of the Senate Filibuster is a no brainer fix to help America's political system run a lot more smoothly.
Last edited by StCapps on Fri Apr 07, 2017 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
*yip*

K@th

Post by K@th » Fri Apr 07, 2017 12:22 pm

StCapps wrote:You stopped appointing Senators long ago and started electing them. If you didn't want them to be as subject to the mob as Congressmen then you should have never allowed that. Getting rid of the Senate Filibuster will make them more sober, not less, the filibuster fuels partisan bullshit.
I seriously doubt that. When the opposition has no voice, crazy town takes over.

"Hey, let's make it so humans can marry their pets!"

Opposition "err... no"

"Shut up! You're irrelevant. We have 51 votes..."

Filibuster keeps the most insane of the insane legislation from getting through.

(And if you don't believe both parties are capable of going full on crazy while unleashed.... you're crazy yourself.)
Account abandoned.

StCapps

Post by StCapps » Fri Apr 07, 2017 12:28 pm

Kath wrote:Filibuster keeps the most insane of the insane legislation from getting through.

(And if you don't believe both parties are capable of going full on crazy while unleashed.... you're crazy yourself.)
It also keeps most of the good legislation from getting through. It's a double-edged sword. It works great when the status quo is working well for you, but when it isn't, it also holds back the pace of reform. Your system needs reform, and the filibuster slows that down. If the status quo was great then you might have point that the filibuster does more harm than good, but at this point, it's just holding y'all back.
Last edited by StCapps on Fri Apr 07, 2017 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
*yip*

K@th

Post by K@th » Fri Apr 07, 2017 12:34 pm

StCapps wrote:
Kath wrote:Filibuster keeps the most insane of the insane legislation from getting through.

It also keeps most of the good legislation from getting through. It's a double-edged sword. It works great when the status quo is working well for you, but when it isn't it also holds back reform.
It does. How about they stop trying to pass legislation that screws half the country? This goes for BOTH sides. I don't want McConnell to have that type of power anymore than I want a Reid to have that type of power.

I can't imagine what kinds of shit legislation will be shoved down our throats if there's really no point to discussion of a proposed law. Just backroom deal with their fellow congress critters, run into session and call a vote. No opposition needed. No need to hear from the other side. No need for the American people to even know what's going on, really, if the opposition has literally no voice.

I know it's fun and sexy to imagine how powerful the red team would be if they didn't have to even talk to the blue team, but remember, the blue team is only playing tit-for-tat for eight years of obstruction from the team that proclaimed their primary mission was to make Obama a one-term president.

The blue team isn't out of power forever. If they don't need to listen to the conservatives, we're all fucked. Literally.
Account abandoned.

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Fri Apr 07, 2017 12:35 pm

Well the good news is that we are one step closer to letting states decide whether they want to criminalize abortion or not.

K@th

Post by K@th » Fri Apr 07, 2017 12:37 pm

Speaker to Animals wrote:Well the good news is that we are one step closer to letting states decide whether they want to criminalize abortion or not.
I'm sure your loins are tingly at the thought of all those women dying from back alley abortions.
Account abandoned.

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Fri Apr 07, 2017 12:38 pm

Kath wrote:
Speaker to Animals wrote:Well the good news is that we are one step closer to letting states decide whether they want to criminalize abortion or not.
I'm sure your loins are tingly at the thought of all those women dying from back alley abortions.

Well, there's the "reasoned discourse" you are so famous for.

StCapps

Post by StCapps » Fri Apr 07, 2017 12:38 pm

Kath wrote:It does. How about they stop trying to pass legislation that screws half the country? This goes for BOTH sides. I don't want McConnell to have that type of power anymore than I want a Reid to have that type of power.

I can't imagine what kinds of shit legislation will be shoved down our throats if there's really no point to discussion of a proposed law. Just backroom deal with their fellow congress critters, run into session and call a vote. No opposition needed. No need to hear from the other side. No need for the American people to even know what's going on, really, if the opposition has literally no voice.

I know it's fun and sexy to imagine how powerful the red team would be if they didn't have to even talk to the blue team, but remember, the blue team is only playing tit-for-tat for eight years of obstruction from the team that proclaimed their primary mission was to make Obama a one-term president.

The blue team isn't out of power forever. If they don't need to listen to the conservatives, we're all fucked. Literally.
Shit laws can be replaced by better laws. If an idea doesn't work, it doesn't take a 60+ seat Senate majority to change the bad ideas. It makes it harder to stop bad laws from being passed, but you can pass new laws that are better than old ones far easier, and I'll take that trade off any day especially when status quo isn't anything to write home about.

You Americans are too worried about passing too many bad laws and not worried enough about not passing enough good laws, that's your problem. As a result your system has too many checks and balances because you were overly worried about that shit, and it's resulted in a vetocracy.
Last edited by StCapps on Fri Apr 07, 2017 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
*yip*

K@th

Post by K@th » Fri Apr 07, 2017 12:44 pm

StCapps wrote: It makes it harder to stop bad laws from being passed, but you can pass new laws better than old ones far easier, and I'll take that trade off any day, especially in America's current position.
I disagree so strongly. These two parties are making us feel like we're watching a tennis match.

For example: Stem cell research? Legal... illegal... legal again...

We need laws that don't change the second the wind starts blowing in a new direction. I think it would be worse for conservatives. They like things to go slow and steady, not too fast... let's process this, study on it, re-think it twice... and finally "Ok, it looks like this indoor toilet thing might be good.. let's experiment with it."

Can you imagine a no filibuster D led Congress/WH? Pelosi, Shumer, the majority whips and the president go out for dinner and decide the 100 new things that will be legal starting next week. Conservatives heads will explode. The democrats want everything to change immediately, all day, every day. Ridiculous to give them that sort of power.
Account abandoned.