Social Justice Warriors Thread

The Conservative

Re: Social Justice Warriors Thread

Post by The Conservative » Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:20 pm

Speaker to Animals wrote:
The Conservative wrote:
Kath wrote: Dye literally means "to color." It's not die, as in dead. :roll:
Please, don’t try to debate something you know nothing about. I helped my wife pass her hair stylist exam, I know in this case what I’m talking about.

You dye cloth, you color hair.

If you go to a hair stylist and they say dye, walk away. They don’t know what they are doing.

And spell checker auto-corrected.

These are synonyms TC. To "color" hair, you apply a dye. That noun dye refers to the substance you use to color your hair. The verb form of dye is synonomous with the verb form of "color".
When you have to sit in classes with your wife to be used as an example for a male haircut... don't tell me that they are synonymous... they may be to the average person, but as a hair stylist, it is engrained into your head that you color a person's hair, you don't dye it.
#NotOneRedCent

apeman

Post by apeman » Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:22 pm

The Conservative wrote:Please, don’t try to debate something you know nothing about. I helped my wife pass her hair stylist exam, I know in this case what I’m talking about.

If you go to a hair stylist and they say dye, walk away. They don’t know what they are doing.

Dear god.

You are the Dwight Schrute of MHF

Hanarchy Montanarchy

Post by Hanarchy Montanarchy » Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:26 pm

The hair stylist convo tipped you off to that, and not the duffel bag full AKs at work?

:lol:
HAIL!

Her needs America so they won't just take his shit away like in some pussy non gun totting countries can happen.
-Hwen

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:28 pm

The Conservative wrote:
The Conservative wrote:
Please, don’t try to debate something you know nothing about. I helped my wife pass her hair stylist exam, I know in this case what I’m talking about.

These are synonyms TC. To "color" hair, you apply a dye. That noun dye refers to the substance you use to color your hair. The verb form of dye is synonomous with the verb form of "color".
When you have to sit in classes with your wife to be used as an example for a male haircut... don't tell me that they are synonymous... they may be to the average person, but as a hair stylist, it is engrained into your head that you color a person's hair, you don't dye it.

They are literally synonymous. If you open a dictionary, and look up the word dye, you will see that the verb sense of that word is a synonym of "to color". You didn't even know what the word dye meant until to three hours ago. You thought it was an alternate spelling to "die".

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:30 pm

Anybody else looking forward to the grand opening of Death Wish Hair Salon?

Fife

Post by Fife » Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:41 pm

The Conservative

Post by The Conservative » Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:46 pm

The Conservative wrote:

They are literally synonymous. If you open a dictionary, and look up the word dye, you will see that the verb sense of that word is a synonym of "to color". You didn't even know what the word dye meant until to three hours ago. You thought it was an alternate spelling to "die".
Again, the spell checker auto-corrected for me... heaven forbid that actually happens to someone? Also, don't come after someone when you can't even spell synonymous, or put an Oxford comma when it's not required. If you aren't perfect, then don't comment about someone else's grammar/spelling mistakes when you make your own.

I digress, the word faggot and bundle also mean the same thing in the same context, a faggot of wood, or a bundle of wood. Yet in specific circles, the word faggot doesn't mean what it is meant to mean in literary terms.

So please, explain to me why the entire hairdressing community that has a license to practice something, should take any advice from you, an uneducated twat in the ways of hairstyling, in the proper usage of a word?
#NotOneRedCent

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:58 pm

Because, though uneducated in the arcane and difficult art of cutting hair, I *am* educated in part in linguistics on account of being a computational linguistics doctoral student. I am telling you that, without a doubt, to dye something and to color something are synonymous. If you don't believe that, then open any dictionary and lookup the word dye.

a substance used to color other materials soaked the fabric in blue dye

Synonyms of dye
color, colorant, coloring, pigment, dyestuff, stain

Words Related to dye
tint, toner

cast, hue, shade, tinge

The Conservative

Post by The Conservative » Fri Oct 27, 2017 1:05 pm

Speaker to Animals wrote:Because, though uneducated in the arcane and difficult art of cutting hair, I *am* educated in part in linguistics on account of being a computational linguistics doctoral student. I am telling you that, without a doubt, to dye something and to color something are synonymous. If you don't believe that, then open any dictionary and lookup the word dye.

Synonyms of dye

Words Related to dye
tint, toner

cast, hue, shade, tinge

Right, ok... do you understand the difference between how a dye interacts with human hair and the way that tube color does?

Please, oh mighty egotistical god of the MH forum that knows everything about nothing, please tell me what my wife was trained to do, and tell me why an entire educational system is wrong as well, oh mighty ego!
#NotOneRedCent

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Fri Oct 27, 2017 1:14 pm

The Conservative wrote:
Speaker to Animals wrote:Because, though uneducated in the arcane and difficult art of cutting hair, I *am* educated in part in linguistics on account of being a computational linguistics doctoral student. I am telling you that, without a doubt, to dye something and to color something are synonymous. If you don't believe that, then open any dictionary and lookup the word dye.

Synonyms of dye

Words Related to dye
tint, toner

cast, hue, shade, tinge

Right, ok... do you understand the difference between how a dye interacts with human hair and the way that tube color does?

Please, oh mighty egotistical god of the MH forum that knows everything about nothing, please tell me what my wife was trained to do, and tell me why an entire educational system is wrong as well, oh mighty ego!

It's irrelevant to the fact that we use the two words synonymously or that you didn't even know about the word dye until three hours ago.