Let's Riff on the next Tech/Social Revolution

TheReal_ND

Re: Let's Riff on the next Tech/Social Revolution

Post by TheReal_ND » Sun Jun 11, 2017 5:22 pm

brewster wrote:
TheReal_ND wrote:Dropping a gas tank to get to the pump is hard on trucks unless you have a few buddies to just lift the bed off and get to it from the top.

Most cars the pump is under the rear seat. Pretty easy to get to it and pull the pump out. If it's older the water evap from the ethanol has probably corroded the little bolts and they will snap so careful. I actually had to drill one out on a full tank. 100% scary heh
I'm not a car guy, but the last time I dealt with a fuel tank it was an 87 Nissan and the pump was inside the tank. Couple of years ago I got a bad tank of E85 (E85 is rare around here) and needed to get it out. The morons at the garage were baffled. I told them to disconnect the fuel line, run it to a jug and power the pump. They were amazed! Worked, but still a huge PITA compared to just siphoning.
Yeah I guess you could just disconnect the fuel line under the hood and pump from there. Iirc most cars have a special tool for that. In my Nissan sentra's case a sharpie cap with a slit down one side worked better

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Sun Jun 11, 2017 5:38 pm

C-Mag wrote:
Speaker to Animals wrote:I think we are looking at it all wrong.

For a lot of things, we don't really need universities. We should consider going back to the classical model of education, with students directly seeking out specific individuals to teach them. Provide some common spaces and resources (the campus, I guess), but other than that, let at least part of higher education develop organically. This is especially true for probably the entire arts departments at every university.

Engineering, actual science, and mathematics.. not so much. But cut out all that liberal arts garbage and the university would go back to normal real fast.

And.. no.. I am not against liberal arts. I just don't think they have a place in the university in the way they have come to dominate them. These programs have become cancer. What liberal arts programs go on in a university should be so difficult that at least half the population would never be accepted. That's kind of the point of universities. Think about it for a while. Most people should not even be able to go to college.
Basically that is the Medieval model of the University.
I think we are headed that way through on line education. At some point traditional resident Universities will start seeing a dramatic loss in enrollment, and then the game will start changing.

What we have now is the medieval university model. I am talking about the classical model in which students sought out teachers directly.

brewster

Post by brewster » Sun Jun 11, 2017 5:53 pm

The thing about the classic "Liberal Education" was that it wasn't designed to teach you what you needed to know to go out and get a job. It was to teach you to think critically and learn how to keep learning your whole life, and it wasn't for everyone. The "trade school" model of higher education is really pretty new. Tenured professors of Left Handed Latin Lesbian Poetry is an abomination of that idea. You studied the dead white guys because they built our civilization. There was a woman on a liberal site who was extremely sensitive about people mocking her doctorate in popular media.

Honestly, if people came out of college knowing how to think critically, I'd say it wasn't money wasted. But they often don't, even if they got STEM degrees. This is a big reason why the electorate is so easily manipulated.
We are only accustomed to dealing with like twenty online personas at a time so when we only have about ten people some people have to be strawmanned in order to advance our same relative go nowhere nonsense positions. -TheReal_ND

Ph64

Post by Ph64 » Sun Jun 11, 2017 7:22 pm

... Or maybe just the Xanax revolution...?

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/06/10/styl ... xanax.html

TheReal_ND

Post by TheReal_ND » Sun Jun 11, 2017 7:28 pm

God damn that fidget spinner marketing campaign really took the fuck off. I wish I was one of the guys that stocked up on tons of $0.01 Chinese bearings. Fucking /biz/ always up to shit.

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Sun Jun 11, 2017 8:23 pm

TheReal_ND wrote:God damn that fidget spinner marketing campaign really took the fuck off. I wish I was one of the guys that stocked up on tons of $0.01 Chinese bearings. Fucking /biz/ always up to shit.
I have one on my desk
SJWs are a natural consequence of corporatism.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

https://youtu.be/CYbT8-rSqo0

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Sun Jun 11, 2017 8:27 pm

Yeah, pretty much every faggot around here bought one too. They are kind of a shibboleth separating faggots from the normal people.

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Sun Jun 11, 2017 10:05 pm

Speaker to Animals wrote:Yeah, pretty much every faggot around here bought one too. They are kind of a shibboleth separating faggots from the normal people.
Handheld gyroscope. What's not to love.
SJWs are a natural consequence of corporatism.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

https://youtu.be/CYbT8-rSqo0

Ph64

Post by Ph64 » Mon Jun 12, 2017 2:29 am

GrumpyCatFace wrote:
Speaker to Animals wrote:Yeah, pretty much every faggot around here bought one too. They are kind of a shibboleth separating faggots from the normal people.
Handheld gyroscope. What's not to love.
Another useless piece of crap that will be filling up trash dumps in the millions in a few years once the fad passes. But hey, what's a few tens of thousands of barrels of oil wasted on cheap plastic toys we'll fill landfills with, or maybe just dump in the ocean, etc...? Not like oil has any more important uses... :roll:
Last edited by Ph64 on Mon Jun 12, 2017 2:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fife

Post by Fife » Mon Jun 12, 2017 4:03 am

Single payer for oil. It's our only hope.