Public School Education System Thread

Fife

Re: Public School Education System Thread

Post by Fife » Fri Dec 23, 2016 1:42 pm

GrumpyCatFace wrote:How could it not be? You either accept one truth or the other - they are not compatible. You accept that geology has vastly older dates than 6,000 years, or a line of tribesmen's ages add up the Beginning of Everything.

You accept that living things change over time, or you believe that they were spawned from dirt on the whim of a flying god man.

You accept that a dinosaur was real, or you pretend that your great-grandpa killed a T-rex with a spear, and then they all disappeared.

There is no way to have both, unless you half-ass believe your chosen religious text (and we all know that we're talking about Christians here), and just cover your ass against hellfire. Which is great, but why would you inflict that kind of cognitive dissonance on your kids? Or other peoples' kids??

And we are all forced to accept another truth or the other: you are either CommieCatassButtPirate or the worst troller in history.

On second thought, those two truths are "compatible." Who knew?

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Fri Dec 23, 2016 1:44 pm

I'm not interested in banning religion. Just keep it in your selected church.
SJWs are a natural consequence of corporatism.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

https://youtu.be/CYbT8-rSqo0

Fife

Post by Fife » Fri Dec 23, 2016 1:48 pm

I'm not interested in banning your minority position. Just keep in the free speech zone and get the appropriate licenses.

StCapps

Post by StCapps » Fri Dec 23, 2016 1:50 pm

GrumpyCatFace wrote:I'm not interested in banning religion. Just keep it in your selected church.
When religion gets mixed with public schools it works pretty well too, in fact better than public schools in which it gets kept in your selected church. So why would you use government force to keep it out when it mostly works better in the schools? Aside from being an anti-religion reactionary I mean.
*yip*

Ex-California

Post by Ex-California » Fri Dec 23, 2016 6:33 pm

Kath wrote:
AndrewBennett wrote:
These are public schools provided by the government. Teaching creationism within is a violation of church and state
You moved the goal posts. Your original point was we need the DoE or else the whole country would be forced to drop science in favor of creationism.

Get rid of the DoE and let the local governments do what's best at the local level. Sure, you will have small pockets of the country teaching bat shit crazy stuff from ever direction... and?
When was my original point ever that? When I talk about schools I'm talking about public schools, and in this case I was using GCF's example of Texas and Oklahoma schools teaching creationism.

And you don't see the problem with small pockets of the country teaching batshit crazy ideas while the rest of the country leaves them in the dirt? Why even be part of the same country then? We can't be the world leaders in everything in some parts while other parts are living in the Iron Age. This is exactly why we need Federal Departments. Its practically a national security issue
No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session

Okeefenokee

Post by Okeefenokee » Fri Dec 23, 2016 6:52 pm

AndrewBennett wrote:The minority shouldn't be able to change the majority's beliefs.
Why not? Who is allowed to wield influence? Who decides?

You're talking about totalitarian ideals.
GrumpyCatFace wrote:Dumb slut partied too hard and woke up in a weird house. Ran out the door, weeping for her failed life choices, concerned townsfolk notes her appearance and alerted the fuzz.

viewtopic.php?p=60751#p60751

Fife

Post by Fife » Fri Dec 23, 2016 6:57 pm

AndrewBennett wrote:When I talk about schools I'm talking about public schools, and in this case I was using GCF's example of Texas and Oklahoma schools teaching creationism.
Yes, when you talk about "schools" you mean the government schools.

As I say all the time, mind yourself to be sure you are on the right side of the mob. Because you have given yourself over to the mob. Your personal beliefs, if you have any, are meaningless.

Okeefenokee

Post by Okeefenokee » Fri Dec 23, 2016 7:00 pm

AndrewBennett wrote:These are public schools provided by the government. Teaching creationism within is a violation of church and state
No it isn't. Schools teach religion. They had us reading the Koran in 2005.
GrumpyCatFace wrote:Dumb slut partied too hard and woke up in a weird house. Ran out the door, weeping for her failed life choices, concerned townsfolk notes her appearance and alerted the fuzz.

StCapps

Post by StCapps » Fri Dec 23, 2016 7:01 pm

AndrewBennett wrote:When I talk about schools I'm talking about public schools, and in this case I was using GCF's example of Texas and Oklahoma schools teaching creationism.

And you don't see the problem with small pockets of the country teaching batshit crazy ideas while the rest of the country leaves them in the dirt? Why even be part of the same country then? We can't be the world leaders in everything in some parts while other parts are living in the Iron Age. This is exactly why we need Federal Departments. Its practically a national security issue
Texas and Oklahoma teaching creationism in public schools won't leave them in the dirt or in the Iron Age. It is not practically a national security issue. Simmer down panic monkey.
*yip*

Okeefenokee

Post by Okeefenokee » Fri Dec 23, 2016 7:09 pm

GrumpyCatFace wrote:
Kath wrote:
AndrewBennett wrote:
These are public schools provided by the government. Teaching creationism within is a violation of church and state
You moved the goal posts. Your original point was we need the DoE or else the whole country would be forced to drop science in favor of creationism.

Get rid of the DoE and let the local governments do what's best at the local level. Sure, you will have small pockets of the country teaching bat shit crazy stuff from ever direction... and?
...and then we have to pretend there's fucking "controversy" around every new scientific discovery, because people can't comprehend the scientific method. We continue on with a 2-class system of informed vs. moron. Progress and human advancement are restrained.
You understand that, even though creationism can't be taught in schools, we all know what it is anyway, and so do all the kids. Funny, the sky isn't falling.