THE ERA OF TRUMP

BjornP

Re: THE ERA OF TRUMP

Post by BjornP » Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:51 pm

If you're a US president, and you're not in uniform and not also holding a military rank, are you supposed to salute even your own troops? It's a long time ago now, and I may remember things wrong (plus, I was a conscript... not all that motivated to start with), but I am sure we weren't supposed to salute an officer out of uniform, as in wearing civilian clothes. While it's fun and endearing that children salute soldiers and such, generally we were told not to return salutes by well meaning civilians if we were in uniform. The only exception was, of course, the defense minister, prime minister and the Queen (can't remember if all members of the royal house deserve salutes, tho) who were higher in rank.
Fame is not flattery. Respect is not agreement.

Okeefenokee

Post by Okeefenokee » Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:55 pm

BjornP wrote:
Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:51 pm
If you're a US president, and you're not in uniform and not also holding a military rank, are you supposed to salute even your own troops? It's a long time ago now, and I may remember things wrong, but I am sure we weren't supposed to salute an officer out of uniform, as in wearing civilian clothes. While it's fun and endearing that children salute soldiers and such, generally we were told not to return salutes by well meaning civilians if we were in uniform. The only exception was, of course, the defense minister, prime minister and the Queen (can't remember if all members of the royal house deserve salutes, tho).
Yeah they do. They don't have to but they do to be polite. Their salutes are typically sloppy. Salutes from civilians generally can be disregarded. Just civilian larping.
GrumpyCatFace wrote:Dumb slut partied too hard and woke up in a weird house. Ran out the door, weeping for her failed life choices, concerned townsfolk notes her appearance and alerted the fuzz.

viewtopic.php?p=60751#p60751

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:58 pm

Arc Light wrote:
Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:23 pm
Here's Ike surrendering to the French.

touche
PLATA O PLOMO

Don't fear authority, Fear Obedience

kybkh

Post by kybkh » Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:00 pm

Kath wrote:
Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:44 pm
pineapplemike wrote:
Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:38 pm
oh, so it isn't a big deal? ok good to know, it looked bad
This thread would have gone splody if that was Obama saluting a foreign military officer.
Even CNN had to confess that returning a salute is protocol.

Saluting 1st would have been showing subservience.

And when are you going to accept that "the Old Republican Party" is dead. Conservative, white males have given up on trying to constrain the spending required because of women's feelings.

Only a moron believes that our debt matters.

The new American First Party just wants the job done and are fully aware that getting the job done doesn't require following protocol.
“I've got a phone that allows me to convene Americans from every walk of life, nonprofits, businesses, the private sector, universities to try to bring more and more Americans together around what I think is a unifying theme..." - Obama

Kath

Post by Kath » Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:10 pm

kybkh wrote:
Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:00 pm

Presidents aren't really supposed to salute anyone. The first president to salute his troops was Reagan. I had no idea our president's went around saluting foreign military. It's creepy to me.
Why are all the Gods such vicious cunts? Where's the God of tits and wine?

BjornP

Post by BjornP » Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:11 pm

Okeefenokee wrote:
Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:55 pm

Yeah they do. They don't have to but they do to be polite. Their salutes are typically sloppy. Salutes from civilians generally can be disregarded. Just civilian larping.
Right. Googling around, I'm seeing that he actually tried shaking the general's hand at first:
When meeting No Kwang Chol, minister of the People's Armed Forces and a top North Korean military leader, Trump initially tried to shake his hand. No pulled his hand back and then saluted the president. Trump then responded with his own salute, before the two men shook hands as Kim smiles in the background.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wor ... cccc053c48

That makes it seem like pretty small fry. Even WaPo, when talking with their experts, have to admit that this is more like wearing the wrong clothes at a formal event. It may not be a good optic, but the thing about pictures saying more than a thousand words, is that one should remember that interpreting what's actually happening on a picture sometimes requires at least some words by people who are able to interpret what's happening a picture.
Fame is not flattery. Respect is not agreement.

Okeefenokee

Post by Okeefenokee » Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:17 pm

Kath wrote:
Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:10 pm
kybkh wrote:
Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:00 pm

Presidents aren't really supposed to salute anyone. The first president to salute his troops was Reagan. I had no idea our president's went around saluting foreign military. It's creepy to me.
You literally have no idea what you are talking about and are clear as day regurgitating something you just read.
GrumpyCatFace wrote:Dumb slut partied too hard and woke up in a weird house. Ran out the door, weeping for her failed life choices, concerned townsfolk notes her appearance and alerted the fuzz.

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Thu Jun 14, 2018 3:07 pm

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Thu Jun 14, 2018 3:16 pm

For legal reasons, we are not threatening to destroy U.S. government property with our glorious medieval siege engine. But if we wanted to, we could. But we won’t. But we could.

Okeefenokee

Post by Okeefenokee » Thu Jun 14, 2018 3:59 pm

You see how gas lighting works?