THE ERA OF TRUMP

DBTrek

Re: THE ERA OF TRUMP

Post by DBTrek » Fri Jun 08, 2018 9:34 am

If you can’t understand what Fife explained about pardons, I sure can’t understand how a dead man retains a lawyer. Or why they would want to, for that matter.
"Hey varmints, don't mess with a guy that's riding a buffalo"

Kath

Post by Kath » Fri Jun 08, 2018 9:36 am

DBTrek wrote:
Fri Jun 08, 2018 9:34 am
If you can’t understand what Fife explained about pardons, I sure can’t understand how a dead man retains a lawyer. Or why they would want to, for that matter.
What crime does he need pardoning from?
Why are all the Gods such vicious cunts? Where's the God of tits and wine?

Fife

Post by Fife » Fri Jun 08, 2018 9:39 am

Kath wrote:
Fri Jun 08, 2018 9:27 am
Ali's lawyer disagrees with Fife on this.
Ali’s former lawyer, Ron Tweel, released a statement on Friday saying a pardon isn’t needed, the Associated Press reports. “We appreciate President Trump’s sentiment, but a pardon is unnecessary,” he said. “The U.S. Supreme Court overturned the conviction of Muhammad Ali in a unanimous decision in 1971. There is no conviction from which a pardon is needed.
Sorry, Kath. He doesn't disagree with the law or certainly not with "me," as my opinion is based upon some black and white text on a computer screen. No imagination required at all, which is sort of less than even a lay-up for me. All I can do is provide the law to you, in English.

Ali's former lawyer is merely shitting on Trump. Which is fine, since the whole thing is a symbolic exercise. It's all politics and showmanship, for everyone on both sides.

A pardon would have meant something real and meaningful for Ali from President Johnson. That would have required actual courage and conviction. Now that Ali is dead and buried, it's all just signalling and counter-signalling. The "LOL we don't needs no pardon, dindu nuffin" is cowardly, sniveling, shit-heading signalling, IMNSHO. That opinion has no effect, whatsoever, on how I or anyone else might feel about DJT's signalling by dangling the pardon out there.

Saying Ali should be pardoned in 2018 is like saying abolition of slavery is a good thing in 2018: zero political courage required. Just super poofy signalling.

Taking pardon advice from NFL players regarding people currently rotting in jail because of the WOD? That's a different deal.

DBTrek

Post by DBTrek » Fri Jun 08, 2018 9:41 am

Kath wrote:
Fri Jun 08, 2018 9:36 am

Do pardons specifically and exclusively apply to criminal convictions?
Derp.

Your turn - what legal threats do dead people retain lawyers to protect themselves from?

Kath

Post by Kath » Fri Jun 08, 2018 9:41 am

Fife wrote:
Fri Jun 08, 2018 9:39 am
Sorry, Kath. He doesn't disagree with the law or certainly not with "me," as my opinion is based upon some black and white text on a computer screen. No imagination required at all, which is sort of less than even a lay-up for me. All I can do is provide the law to you, in English.
What crime is he going to pardon?

Kath

Post by Kath » Fri Jun 08, 2018 9:44 am

DBTrek wrote:
Fri Jun 08, 2018 9:41 am
Kath wrote:
Fri Jun 08, 2018 9:36 am

Do pardons specifically and exclusively apply to criminal convictions?
Derp.
FFS just answer the question. Did he jaywalk? Get a speeding ticket? What is the pardon for?

Kath

Post by Kath » Fri Jun 08, 2018 9:44 am

DBTrek wrote:
Fri Jun 08, 2018 9:41 am

Your turn - what legal threats do dead people retain lawyers to protect themselves from?
/shrug - dude made a statement. That doesn't equate to his been on retainer for the last two years.

DBTrek

Post by DBTrek » Fri Jun 08, 2018 9:46 am

Is zombie representation thriving for the legal field these days?
I want to be a lawyer for the dead, if they’re paying.
Talk about low maintenance clients!
:lol:

Kath

Post by Kath » Fri Jun 08, 2018 9:47 am

What about the amnesty he received from President Carter? Does that add anything to the mix?

Would love to get an answer to:

An overturned conviction still needs a pardon because _______________________________________________________________________________ .

DBTrek

Post by DBTrek » Fri Jun 08, 2018 9:49 am

Maybe you could ask Robin William’s lawyer, since Fife’s answer wasn’t good enough for you.

... he does have a lawyer, right? To keep him out of jail I reckon.