THE ERA OF TRUMP

BjornP

Re: THE ERA OF TRUMP

Post by BjornP » Wed May 02, 2018 1:58 pm

C-Mag wrote:
Speaker to Animals wrote:Eh.. Not necessarily. America is more like late Roman Republic, which was technically an empire, albeit a dysfunctional democracy.

Like Rome, America could transition into an authoritarian empire of some kind.

I suspect the Army will take over at some point.

Nah, we are Byzantium. The UK represents the Roman Empire.
Would that be the 565 AD Byzantium or the 1453 AD Byzantium? ;)
Fame is not flattery. Respect is not agreement.

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Wed May 02, 2018 3:43 pm

I'm sure a lot of people would pick the late Empire, but I'm more inclined to think middle, during the Macedonian Period.

Trump is Justinian II during the start of the 20 Year Kaos.
PLATA O PLOMO

Don't fear authority, Fear Obedience

nmoore63

Post by nmoore63 » Wed May 02, 2018 3:59 pm

C-Mag wrote:I'm sure a lot of people would pick the late Empire, but I'm more inclined to think middle, during the Macedonian Period.

Trump is Pompey/Crassus

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Wed May 02, 2018 4:03 pm

nmoore63 wrote:
C-Mag wrote:I'm sure a lot of people would pick the late Empire, but I'm more inclined to think middle, during the Macedonian Period.

Trump is Pompey/Crassus
Gotta get Rome out of your head brother. Byzantium and Justinian II makes more sense.
PLATA O PLOMO

nmoore63

Post by nmoore63 » Wed May 02, 2018 4:05 pm

C-Mag wrote:
nmoore63 wrote:

Trump is Pompey/Crassus
Gotta get Rome out of your head brother. Byzantium and Justinian II makes more sense.
I don't see it, but make your case.

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Wed May 02, 2018 8:31 pm

nmoore63 wrote:
C-Mag wrote:
nmoore63 wrote: Trump is Pompey/Crassus
I don't see it, but make your case.
Cool, I'll look forward to your counter case.

1st both the US and Byzantium evolved from breakaway states from a larger Empire. Both went on to eclipse their past masters, but remained associated.

Justinian II was populist, he delighted in pissing people off, he was an economic nationalist, survived a coup by the deep state Senate, came back with the help of people promising to drain the swamp.
PLATA O PLOMO

Okeefenokee

Post by Okeefenokee » Wed May 02, 2018 8:48 pm

Interesting.

I still see a few problems.

The eastern empire was rich as shit from the start, and almost immediately eclipsed the west.

The US started out as only regionally important, and barely at that, just like republican Rome.

A quick rise in territorial expansion and a couple of nice military moves saw both rise to become dominant regionally and beyond. The limited franchise of both was steadily expanded to more and more restless plebs as the welfare machine grew to keep them docile.

By the time Byzantium comes into the picture the America (so far) phase of Rome was over.

Byzantium would have been closer to the super rich mezos that the Spaniards conquered.
GrumpyCatFace wrote:Dumb slut partied too hard and woke up in a weird house. Ran out the door, weeping for her failed life choices, concerned townsfolk notes her appearance and alerted the fuzz.

viewtopic.php?p=60751#p60751

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Wed May 02, 2018 8:56 pm

The wealth point is very good.

I know Rome is the go to analogy, but I'm a trouble maker and have to consider options outside the box.
PLATA O PLOMO

nmoore63

Post by nmoore63 » Wed May 02, 2018 10:07 pm

Byzantium is in separable from the one capital and the giant menace so massive defense.

Americans don’t see themselves as DC.
Nor do we see the giant menace the same.

The dispersed material wealth.
The Great War decline.

Are all far more Roman.

Trump is Crassus plus Pompey in that the military achievements of Pompey are to Rome what the financial achievements of trump are to America.

But neither was ideogical nor does it appear that either knows how to make sure a faction is always in their side.

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Thu May 03, 2018 7:41 am

A little good news

North Korea has freed 3 American prisoners, just ahead of the historic summit between President Trump and Kim Jong-Un.

The POW/MIA issue is going to be huge as this advances. I think the US has over 75,000 missing servicemembers from the Korean War. It's known that the North Koreans had prisoners they never gave up.
PLATA O PLOMO