THE ERA OF TRUMP

DBTrek

Re: THE ERA OF TRUMP

Post by DBTrek » Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:08 pm

Speaker to Animals wrote:The guy who's only exposure to economics is a Sowell book is lecturing us on who is economically illiterate. It's quite amusing.

I would suggest that you consider that it is only you and Smitty who lack an actual education of any kind in economics.. Maybe ponder that in between chapters of Thomas Sowell..
The difference between me and one-semester of Econ 101 StA is I can actually explain how my economics work. StA has to rely on amorphous liberal-like panic to try to sway people:
“OMG OMG U NEED DOMESTIC STEEL OR WE DIE. DONT VOTE!”

I’m sure Sowell is shaking in his boots, his economic philosophy under such serious siege from single-college-classers.
Last edited by DBTrek on Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Hey varmints, don't mess with a guy that's riding a buffalo"

Zlaxer

Post by Zlaxer » Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:09 pm

Smitty-48 wrote:
Zlaxer wrote:
Smitty-48 wrote:We do however have an example of a country which adopted the Zlaxer method exactly as he wants it, and that country was the Soviet Union.

They also had a full blown communist government with no internal capitalistic economy....nice try though :clap:
You would require a dictatorship in order to effect the model that you want, because a closed off command economy and a democratic free republic are mutually exclusive, closed off command economy is communism by its very nature, they didn't become communists and then close their command economy off, communism is the act of closing yourself off into a command economy, so it is one in the same.

Wait - so America was really a communistic dictatorship during the post-revolutionary war EMBARGO? :shock:

Never trusted that Franklin......

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:12 pm

DBTrek wrote:
Speaker to Animals wrote:The guy who's only exposure to economics is a Sowell book is lecturing us on who is economically illiterate. It's quite amusing.

I would suggest that you consider that it is only you and Smitty who lack an actual education of any kind in economics.. Maybe ponder that in between chapters of Thomas Sowell..
The difference between me and one-semester of Econ 101 StA is I can actually explain how my economics work. StA has to rely on amorphous liberal-like panic to try to sway people:
“OMG OMG U NEED DOMESTIC STEEL OR WE DIE. DONT VOTE!”

I’m sure Sowell is shaking in his boots, his economic philosophy under such serious siege from single-college-classers.

Actually a minor, but never you mind your pretty little head about that..

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:12 pm

Zlaxer wrote:
Smitty-48 wrote:
Zlaxer wrote:

They also had a full blown communist government with no internal capitalistic economy....nice try though :clap:
You would require a dictatorship in order to effect the model that you want, because a closed off command economy and a democratic free republic are mutually exclusive, closed off command economy is communism by its very nature, they didn't become communists and then close their command economy off, communism is the act of closing yourself off into a command economy, so it is one in the same.

Wait - so America was really a communistic dictatorship during the post-revolutionary war EMBARGO? :shock:

Never trusted that Franklin......
Fallacy, now you're shifting the goalposts to embargo, but embargo would require the United States to prevent other countries from trading, the United States cannot embargo the world economy as it is now, embargo would require the United States to blockade other countries, including big ones, which would be a casus belli since embargo is an act of war, so the nukes would be brought out then.
Nec Aspera Terrent

Zlaxer

Post by Zlaxer » Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:13 pm

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:17 pm

The embargo after the Revolutionary War was not actually an American embargo against the British trading in America, it was a America jumping on board with the French to embargo the British in the West Indies, but the result was war, when the Royal Navy broke the embargo by capturing 250 American ships by force of arms.
Nec Aspera Terrent

DBTrek

Post by DBTrek » Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:19 pm

Zlaxer wrote:Fucking Torries.... :doh:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Embargo_Act_of_1807
From your link:
  • The embargo, which lasted from December 1807 to March 1809 effectively throttled American overseas trade. All areas of the United States suffered. In commercial New England and the Middle Atlantic states, ships rotted at the wharves, and in the agricultural areas, particularly in the South, farmers and planters could not sell their crops on the international market. For New England, and especially for the Middle Atlantic states, there was some consolation, for the scarcity of European goods meant that a definite stimulus was given to the development of American industry.

The embargo was a financial disaster for the Americans because the British were still able to export goods to America: initial loopholes overlooked smuggling by coastal vessels from Canada, whaling ships and privateers from overseas; and widespread disregard of the law meant enforcement was difficult.[8]

A 2005 study by economic historian Douglas Irwin estimates that the embargo cost about 5 percent of America's 1807 GNP.
Wow, that sounds like a resounding economic success. Great call, Zlaxer. It’s also not a tariff, but if your point was to cite an example of hindering international trade to the detriment of the local populace you nailed it.
"Hey varmints, don't mess with a guy that's riding a buffalo"

Zlaxer

Post by Zlaxer » Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:23 pm

DBTrek wrote:....blah blah...Zlaxer's a loon.......unicorn shit skittles for all

If "Free Trade" is so great, then why did our manufacturing base die after NAFTA?

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:24 pm

An embargo is offensive not defensive, an embargo is preventing another country from trading from its ports, so you have to go to their ports and blockade them to effect an embargo, thus why it is an inherent act of war.

In this day and age, that would incite a nuclear standoff right to the brink, the Cuban Missile Crisis was essentially an embargo scenario, America blockaded Cuba from the Soviets, the Soviets backed down, but only after America cut a secret side deal with them, it wasn't the embargo which won the day.
Last edited by Smitty-48 on Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Nec Aspera Terrent

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:25 pm

It's ever amusing when internet diddies regurgitate the same flaccid neocon talking points and then act like nobody understands "economics" when the others remain quite unimpressed.