Re: THE ERA OF TRUMP

Post by Fife » Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:40 am

Fife

Post by Fife » Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:58 am

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:07 am

"I want fair trade, just not the 'fair' part. I mean, we have to 'protect' our jobs. But be fair about it."

Fucking imbecile.
SJWs are a natural consequence of corporatism.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

https://youtu.be/CYbT8-rSqo0

DBTrek

Post by DBTrek » Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:48 am

If the past is any indicator, retaliation from other nations may exacerbate American unemployment:

http://www.vindy.com/news/2005/jun/17/t ... ork/?print

I haven’t gone through the economic mechanics of protectionism or tariffs yet, so I’ve nothing useful to add to the topic other than the opinions of those who know more than me.
"Hey varmints, don't mess with a guy that's riding a buffalo"

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:34 am

DBTrek wrote:If the past is any indicator, retaliation from other nations may exacerbate American unemployment:

http://www.vindy.com/news/2005/jun/17/t ... ork/?print

I haven’t gone through the economic mechanics of protectionism or tariffs yet, so I’ve nothing useful to add to the topic other than the opinions of those who know more than me.
Already happening.

https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2018-03- ... og-tumbles
While earlier Europe said that it would disclose its trade war retaliation strategy no sooner than March 5, moments ago Reuters floated its latest trial balloon reporting that the European Union is considering applying a 25% tariffs on roughly $3.5 billion of imports from the United States should Trump execute his plan steel and aluminium tariffs.

While the European Commission has said it would respond "firmly" to proposed U.S. import duties, it also warned it would join others in a challenge at the World Trade Organization and consider safeguard measures, last deployed in 2002, to guard against steel and aluminium being diverted to Europe from elsewhere if U.S. tariffs come in.

Separately, the WSJ reports that the EU will target motorcycles, and Harley Davidson in particular, bourbon and blue jeans in retaliation.
He just pissed off the entire developed world.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:01 am

Sure. The people who benefited from these trade deals are crying rivers. But the people who have been utterly ruined by it (who outnumber you I might add) could have a real chance at recovery.

Fuck off with your urban values. If you want to be global citizens, just secede already.

The thing I find most repulsive about these "free" traders is the utter contempt and hatred for their own countrymen. I wouldn't want to share a trench with somebody like that in war. There's something wrong with these people.

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:06 am

Speaker to Animals wrote:Sure. The people who benefited from these trade deals are crying rivers. But the people who have been utterly ruined by it (who outnumber you I might add) could have a real chance at recovery.

Fuck off with your urban values. If you want to be global citizens, just secede already.

The thing I find most repulsive about these "free" traders is the utter contempt and hatred for their own countrymen. I wouldn't want to share a trench with somebody like that in war. There's something wrong with these people.
sigh.

It's like shooting your foot to stop a rash. And you're right, I'm vastly outnumbered by the mobs of people that don't understand what 'free trade' means at all - simply a lack of tariffs and restrictions on trade.

The reason that we're at such a massive disadvantage, is that our economy is jacked beyond belief, prices are inflated, and corporations prey on our every weakness. It has nothing to do with China being "unfair" or "stealing". They're simply able to send shit to us more cheaply than we can make it.

Braying like a buffoon because we can't all chip away at a coalface is completely self-destructive and moronic. But it doesn't matter. As you say, I'm vastly outnumbered. And it'll hurt everyone in the end, but at least we can all have slave wages making widgets.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:10 am

GrumpyCatFace wrote:
Speaker to Animals wrote:Sure. The people who benefited from these trade deals are crying rivers. But the people who have been utterly ruined by it (who outnumber you I might add) could have a real chance at recovery.

sigh.

It's like shooting your foot to stop a rash. And you're right, I'm vastly outnumbered by the mobs of people that don't understand what 'free trade' means at all - simply a lack of tariffs and restrictions on trade.

The reason that we're at such a massive disadvantage, is that our economy is jacked beyond belief, prices are inflated, and corporations prey on our every weakness. It has nothing to do with China being "unfair" or "stealing". They're simply able to send shit to us more cheaply than we can make it.

Braying like a buffoon because we can't all chip away at a coalface is completely self-destructive and moronic. But it doesn't matter. As you say, I'm vastly outnumbered. And it'll hurt everyone in the end, but at least we can all have slave wages making widgets.

Yeah, it built an industry of service workers in the cities. Backing out of job offshoring treaties and imposing tariffs are going to hurt you. Boo hoo hoo. You celebrated the absolute evisceration of the heartland of America, and now you want our sympathy. No.

There needs to be balance. You cannot keep enriching yourselves in the cities while most of America slips further into economic despair. It's about the entire country, not just you.

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:13 am

Speaker to Animals wrote:
GrumpyCatFace wrote:

sigh.

Yeah, it built an industry of service workers in the cities. Backing out of job offshoring treaties and imposing tariffs are going to hurt you. Boo hoo hoo. You celebrated the absolute evisceration of the heartland of America, and now you want our sympathy. No.

There needs to be balance. You cannot keep enriching yourselves in the cities while most of America slips further into economic despair. It's about the entire country, not just you.
I don't live in a city, and you have no idea what you're talking about.

But it makes no difference what you or I think. Enjoy your moment of glory, and don't cry when a new truck costs $60,000.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

DBTrek

Post by DBTrek » Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:30 am

Tariffs that save jobs in the steel industry mean higher steel prices, which in turn means fewer sales of American steel products around the world and losses of far more jobs than are saved.
-Thomas Sowell

Fewer jobs makes for a poor recovery.
"Hey varmints, don't mess with a guy that's riding a buffalo"