So Trump ordered General Soleimani Assassinated, and now people are crying for WWIII....

heydaralon

Re: So Trump ordered General Soleimani Assassinated, and now people are crying for WWIII....

Post by heydaralon » Sat Jan 04, 2020 2:50 pm

Smitty-48 wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 2:41 pm
In terms of escalation, the fault line remains in Europe.

In the Baltic, should Belarus come into play, that would set Ivan off.

In the Black Sea, a NATO incursion over the Bosporus, that would set Ivan off.

Iran, not so much, because again, Russia and Iran are enemies not friends.
Historically, Iran hates Russia because the Russians basically divided it with Britain. In WW2 we got rid of Reza Khan and put his gay little son in because we wanted the Iranian railroad to bring Lend-Lease supplies to Stalin and Reza was a little to friendly with Hitler. Fuck those effete dress wearing mullah ladyboy faggots.
Shikata ga nai

Smitty-48

Re: So Trump ordered General Soleimani Assassinated, and now people are crying for WWIII....

Post by Smitty-48 » Sat Jan 04, 2020 2:53 pm

heydaralon wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 2:50 pm
Smitty-48 wrote:

Historically, Iran hates Russia because the Russians basically divided it with Britain. In WW2 we got rid of Reza Khan and put his gay little son in because we wanted the Iranian railroad to bring Lend-Lease supplies to Stalin and Reza was a little to friendly with Hitler. Fuck those effete dress wearing mullah ladyboy faggots.
In the now, they are in a head to head confrontation over the Baku oil field.

Thus, the Kremlin would not actually be sad to see Iran get knocked down a few pegs.
Nec Aspera Terrent

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Sat Jan 04, 2020 2:56 pm

In the case of the Chinese, it is not in Beijing's interests for Iran to close the Straits of Hormuz

China is the most reliant on ME oil, China can't afford for Iran to be screwing around with the flow

Thus, again, China would not be coming to their rescue in the event of war, China would favour a quick end to it.
Nec Aspera Terrent

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Sat Jan 04, 2020 3:03 pm

This is the dilemma for Tehran

Anything they do to harm America, harms China more, so China is not with them

They are not actually Russia's ally, they are competing with the Russians in the ME for control

Thus they are the classic "rogue state" with no Hegenomy backing them up.
Nec Aspera Terrent

heydaralon

Post by heydaralon » Sat Jan 04, 2020 3:07 pm

Smitty-48 wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 2:53 pm
heydaralon wrote:
Smitty-48 wrote:

Thus, the Kremlin would not actually be sad to see Iran get knocked down a few pegs.
One of the plausible reasons I have heard for Russian support of Syria is the port. They lost their Mediterranean port when Qaddffi fell, and Syria had one they could use. Is there anything that modern day Iran has that benefits Russia?
Shikata ga nai

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Sat Jan 04, 2020 3:13 pm

heydaralon wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 3:07 pm
Smitty-48 wrote:
heydaralon wrote:

One of the plausible reasons I have heard for Russian support of Syria is the port. They lost their Mediterranean port when Qaddffi fell, and Syria had one they could use. Is there anything that modern day Iran has that benefits Russia?
The Russian interest is the Bosporus

Syria is their foot hold on the south side of it, preventing them from being blockaded.

Iran however, is not their ally, Iran is supporting Assad only to support Hezbollah in South Lebanon

Thus the Russians have no interest in Iran having more influence, they are competing for control of Damascus.
Nec Aspera Terrent

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Sat Jan 04, 2020 3:24 pm

Initially, Assad had little choice but to align himself with Hezbollah in Syria and Iraq

The Saudi and Turkish Sunni's were against him, the Shia were his only ally

Once the Russians showed up with the air power and special forces, Assad found himself a better patron.

Hezbollah in South Lebanon remains a bulwark against the Israelis, but they are not controllable.

Assad is with the Russians now, Iran is more of a burden to him than a boon
Nec Aspera Terrent

heydaralon

Post by heydaralon » Sat Jan 04, 2020 3:25 pm

Smitty-48 wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 3:13 pm
heydaralon wrote:
Smitty-48 wrote:

Syria is their foot hold on the south side of it, preventing them from being blockaded.

Iran however, is not their ally, Iran is supporting Assad only to support Hezbollah in South Lebanon

Thus the Russians have no interest in Iran having more influence, they are competing for control of Damascus.
Can you forsee a situation where America sends out peace feelers to Iran in order to corner/fuck over Russia? Not atm obviously after what happened but in the next couple of years? Also, how stable do you think the Islamic Revolutionary Regime in Iran is? I hate them, but I will concede that they seem to be pretty good at retaining power. I have no idea how much popular support they have though.
Shikata ga nai

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Sat Jan 04, 2020 3:34 pm

heydaralon wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 3:25 pm
Smitty-48 wrote:
heydaralon wrote:

Can you forsee a situation where America sends out peace feelers to Iran in order to corner/fuck over Russia? Not atm obviously after what happened but in the next couple of years? Also, how stable do you think the Islamic Revolutionary Regime in Iran is? I hate them, but I will concede that they seem to be pretty good at retaining power. I have no idea how much popular support they have though.
It would never last, Iran is a basket case totalitarian Islamic State, America cannot abide them.

At most, America would have a cold peace with Iran, but Iran will never be an American proxy

In the end, the Russian threat is the nukes, otherwise they are irrelevant to America

There is no gain for America siding with Iran, in fact America's interests would be to side with Russia

Let the Russians have Syria, it's not in America's interests to drive them out of there, not worth the trouble
Nec Aspera Terrent

heydaralon

Post by heydaralon » Sat Jan 04, 2020 3:41 pm

Smitty-48 wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 3:34 pm
heydaralon wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 3:25 pm
Smitty-48 wrote:

It would never last, Iran is a basket case totalitarian Islamic State, America cannot abide them.

At most, America would have a cold peace with Iran, but Iran will never be an American proxy

In the end, the Russian threat is the nukes, otherwise they are irrelevant to America

There is no gain for America siding with Iran, in fact America's interests would be to side with Russia

Let the Russians have Syria, it's not in America's interests to drive them out of there, not worth the trouble
What was the realpolitik reasoning behind Obama's urge to cozy up with Iran? What did it gain us globally to try and make a nuclear deal with them?
Shikata ga nai