Net Neutrality

Zlaxer

Re: Net Neutrality

Post by Zlaxer » Fri Nov 24, 2017 11:48 am

GrumpyCatFace wrote:
The Conservative wrote:
GrumpyCatFace wrote:
There would be, in the middle of a fucking major city, you dipwad. :lol: We're talking about a slightly larger area tho.
Yeah, except that places like the next town over to where I live also have RCN, Verizon and Comcast... so what's your logic on that one?
You're in the middle of fucking New England. Jesus H, do I even have to explain this to you? LOL

EDIT: I have no idea what RCN is, but I'm guessing cable company. So, when you sign up for them, do they re-run a coax line to your house? Are there duplicate coax cables on every power pole? Seriously, look around.
Verizon doesn't do coax, so I have no idea what you're on about there.

Here in The Rest of America, you have one of the local cable companies, or fuck-off. One may take this side of town, and the other takes the other side. But you will never EVER have a choice between them.
We have a choice between 3 ISPs....verizon (Shitty DSL), Comcast, and Frontier....and yeah, I think Comcast and Frontier do run parallel networks....Coaxial / fiber is not like gas, water, and/or high voltage power......it's easy to have a bundle of 200 lines run down a large conduit...thus, its easy to have 200 competing ISPs in the same region....

The Conservative

Post by The Conservative » Fri Nov 24, 2017 11:52 am

GrumpyCatFace wrote:
The Conservative wrote:
GrumpyCatFace wrote:
There would be, in the middle of a fucking major city, you dipwad. :lol: We're talking about a slightly larger area tho.
Yeah, except that places like the next town over to where I live also have RCN, Verizon and Comcast... so what's your logic on that one?
You're in the middle of fucking New England. Jesus H, do I even have to explain this to you? LOL

EDIT: I have no idea what RCN is, but I'm guessing cable company. So, when you sign up for them, do they re-run a coax line to your house? Are there duplicate coax cables on every power pole? Seriously, look around.

Here in The Rest of America, you have one of the local cable companies, or fuck-off. One may take this side of town, and the other takes the other side. But you will never EVER have a choice between them.

This is because people might realize that they’re paying the equivalent of another power bill, for some low-voltage connection to internet exchanges, and nothing more.
Actually, RCN does run a line from the telephone pole to the house because it's fiber, and not coax.

So since I live in Mass, and you live in Butthurt,USA, how does net neutrality truly affect me compared to how it's going to affect you?
#NotOneRedCent

Fife

Post by Fife » Fri Nov 24, 2017 11:53 am

Zlaxer wrote:We have a choice between 3 ISPs....verizon (Shitty DSL), Comcast, and Frontier....and yeah, I think Comcast and Frontier do run parallel networks....Coaxial / fiber is not like gas, water, and/or high voltage power......it's easy to have a bundle of 200 lines run down a large conduit...thus, its easy to have 200 competing ISPs in the same region....
Watch your ass, citizen -- you are spreading rank Heresy against the Dept of the Internet!

The Conservative

Post by The Conservative » Fri Nov 24, 2017 11:55 am

Zlaxer wrote:
GrumpyCatFace wrote:
The Conservative wrote:

We have a choice between 3 ISPs....verizon (Shitty DSL), Comcast, and Frontier....and yeah, I think Comcast and Frontier do run parallel networks....Coaxial / fiber is not like gas, water, and/or high voltage power......it's easy to have a bundle of 200 lines run down a large conduit...thus, its easy to have 200 competing ISPs in the same region....
That's sort of the point I was getting at...
#NotOneRedCent

Fife

Post by Fife » Fri Nov 24, 2017 11:56 am

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Fri Nov 24, 2017 11:58 am

Zlaxer wrote:
GrumpyCatFace wrote:
The Conservative wrote:

Ok.
1 - DSL is a different network, using the PTSN, and is long-obsolete anyway. Not part of the “competition”.

2 - you will never, and I mean never, see the owner of a trunk line sharing their conduit with another network. Let alone digging it up, and installing more lines, to hurt their own monopoly.

3 - yeah, Frontier is a conglomerate buying up old landlines from Verizon and ATT. They aren’t laying a new network. Reading the historical section here is actually a little scary. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frontier_Communications
SJWs are a natural consequence of corporatism.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

https://youtu.be/CYbT8-rSqo0

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Fri Nov 24, 2017 12:00 pm

15mbps is the same as DSL - outdated and useless. Also only works in nice weather.
SJWs are a natural consequence of corporatism.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

https://youtu.be/CYbT8-rSqo0

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Fri Nov 24, 2017 12:01 pm

Jesus Christ. They are calling DSL a competitor to broadband.

Democracy might have been a mistake, guys..

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Fri Nov 24, 2017 12:03 pm

Question: what forces the cable company to dig up their lines and add a competitor's line to it that doesn't involve evil regulations?

pineapplemike

Post by pineapplemike » Fri Nov 24, 2017 12:09 pm

Are hard lines necessary to provide internet access?