THE ERA OF TRUMP

Smitty-48

Re: THE ERA OF TRUMP

Post by Smitty-48 » Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:41 pm

Speaker to Animals wrote:
Smitty-48 wrote:Like, imagine if your child could not be kidnapped, the kidnapper couldn't get a few blocks away before the cops swarmed him, you could literally have a predesignated authorization list as to who could interact with your child, as soon as your child started moving with someone not on that list, a national alert would be kicked off, you would be immediately informed and able to track in real time, you'd be getting their a couple minutes after the cops did.

Imagine if as soon as the mass shooter started shooting, everybody in the city was getting an alert, not only warning them, but directing them away from the threat in real time.

This shit is too easy for the masses to resist.
Now imagine that system gets hacked, spoofed, or otherwise used against people. They'd resist pretty fucking fast after that debacle.
The internet does that now, and nobody resists, convenience trumps all, the amount of people getting hacked spoofed by the internet, pales in the face of the amount of people who are totally dependent on it.
Nec Aspera Terrent

K@th

Post by K@th » Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:42 pm

Speaker to Animals wrote:You voted for the ticket whose candidates openly admitted they were trying to get Hillary elected by splitting the republican vote, right?
Dunno - I eenie meenie miney moed between Stein & Johnson. I think it ended up Johnson. Which one was for Hillary?

No matter-Trump took Florida, despite my best efforts.
Account abandoned.

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:42 pm

Smitty-48 wrote:
Smitty-48 wrote:Like, imagine if your child could not be kidnapped, the kidnapper couldn't get a few blocks away before the cops swarmed him, you could literally have a predesignated authorization list as to who could interact with your child, as soon as your child started moving with someone not on that list, a national alert would be kicked off, you would be immediately informed and able to track in real time, you'd be getting their a couple minutes after the cops did.

Imagine if as soon as the mass shooter started shooting, everybody in the city was getting an alert, not only warning them, but directing them away from the threat in real time.

This shit is too easy for the masses to resist.
Now imagine that system gets hacked, spoofed, or otherwise used against people. They'd resist pretty fucking fast after that debacle.
The internet does that now, and nobody resists, convenience trumps all, the amount of people getting hacked spoofed by the internet, pales in the face of the amount of people who are totally dependent on it.

Perhaps, but the Internet is not leading them into a slaughter yet.

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:43 pm

Never mind that the database would make it so much easier to track the hacker spoofers down and arrest them, so the benefit against hacker spoofers outweighs the threat.

The capacity for the system to cross reference is off the charts, the way Five Eyes uses it, they don't worry about the downside, the benefit is too good in comparison.
Last edited by Smitty-48 on Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nec Aspera Terrent

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:43 pm

Kath wrote:
Speaker to Animals wrote:You voted for the ticket whose candidates openly admitted they were trying to get Hillary elected by splitting the republican vote, right?
Dunno - I eenie meenie miney moed between Stein & Johnson. I think it ended up Johnson. Which one was for Hillary?

Johnson.

Stein was actually trying to oppose her. You'd have a tiny bit of credibility if you'd voted for her instead. Johnson openly admitted to working to get Hillary into office.

StCapps

Post by StCapps » Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:43 pm

Kath wrote:
DBTrek wrote:Smitty sounds like he just read his first article about Amazon Alexa/Apple Siri.

Dude is woke.
:dance:
And Capps thinks the wall is gonna get built under budget. :lol:
Definitely not, but the budget is going to shrink from $70 billion on the wall, bet that.
*yip*

K@th

Post by K@th » Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:45 pm

Kath wrote:

Johnson.

Stein was actually trying to oppose her. You'd have a tiny bit of credibility if you'd voted for her instead. Johnson openly admitted to working to get Hillary into office.
I may be wrong - I was so excited that the boy was voting for the first time, I barely gave my ballot a thought. I just went with anti-incumbents all down the ballot.

He voted Trump, btw, and I helped him get to the polling place. I was proud of him, even though he supported a giant man-baby.
Account abandoned.

StCapps

Post by StCapps » Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:45 pm

Smitty-48 wrote:This shit is too easy, the masses wont resist, this shit just sells itself.
Kind of like The Wall.
*yip*

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:45 pm

Smitty-48 wrote:

Perhaps, but the Internet is not leading them into a slaughter yet.
SIFCLF's don't rate. The masses don't respond to Sky Is Falling, particularly when the internet has been ubiquitous for decades now, and the sky has not fallen.

Literally Hitler is not an effective argument, people don't buy it. Crying wolf actually has the opposite effect.
Nec Aspera Terrent

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:48 pm

Smitty-48 wrote:Never mind that the database would make it so much easier to track the hacker spoofers down and arrest them, so the benefit against hacker spoofers outweighs the threat.

Please. Black hats are dominant now. They own pretty much whatever they set their sights on. Regardless, you wouldn't even necessarily have to directly hack the system in the conventional sense. You'd need only figure out how it works and exploit that. Use decoys and diversions to trigger it into moving people to safe areas away from the threats, create multiple bottlenecks by exploiting its heuristics or algorithm in deciding optimal crowd routing, and then strike at those bottlenecks with the real attacks. No need to directly hack anything.

You can also do things like GPS spoofing on the street level to simply guide people to a kill zone when their mobile devices are trying to direct them elsewhere.

I could think of all sorts of ways to exploit something like this. In the 2000s, the government started looking into how terrorists could exploit our infrastructure and they kind of freaked out when the answers came in. A lot of money was directed to corporations to harden these systems from some pretty weird attacks. I had to help harden a wireless network brand from GPS spoofing, for instance.

The writers of the BSG were on the fucking money. We need to go in the opposite direction.