Pedestrian Bridge Collapse, FIU, S Florida

Hanarchy Montanarchy

Re: Pedestrian Bridge Collapse, FIU, S Florida

Post by Hanarchy Montanarchy » Mon Mar 19, 2018 4:04 pm

C-Mag wrote:
Hanarchy Montanarchy wrote:Again, I gotta ask:

If this happens all the time, and I am sure it does, are we going to give women and minorities credit for the bridges that are still standing? Here we have a case of an inadequate private contractor getting in with politicians through financial contributions, and instead of condemning corruption, we are blaming broads.

Anything to avoid recognizing that, sometimes, evil regulations might actually be the solution.
Not the point I was getting to, my point is the government contracting system FAILED, and people died.
Boiling this down to about a bad contractor whether minority or not is only setting yourself up for repeating this.

I referenced the Big Dig Collapse. The Massechusetts Government went after the contractor and glue manufacturer and pretty successfully laid the blame there, but there were a half dozen Engineers, including Government Engineers that took the 5th in Court and escaped prosecution. Inspectors that were responsible for Contractor oversight escaped prosecution as well. An old Government Inspector once told me, it's the Contractors job to make money, it's Governments job to make sure they follow the contract.
I agree with all of this.
HAIL!

Her needs America so they won't just take his shit away like in some pussy non gun totting countries can happen.
-Hwen

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Mon Mar 19, 2018 4:08 pm

So we need regulations against violating other regulations. Got it. Thank you for your input. Back to Universe B with you.

Hanarchy Montanarchy

Post by Hanarchy Montanarchy » Mon Mar 19, 2018 4:16 pm

Speaker to Animals wrote:So we need regulations against violating other regulations. Got it. Thank you for your input. Back to Universe B with you.
In universe A, are minorities and women more likely to flout existing regulations in pursuit of better margins?
HAIL!

Her needs America so they won't just take his shit away like in some pussy non gun totting countries can happen.
-Hwen

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Mon Mar 19, 2018 4:20 pm

Hanarchy Montanarchy wrote:
Speaker to Animals wrote:So we need regulations against violating other regulations. Got it. Thank you for your input. Back to Universe B with you.
In universe A, are minorities and women more likely to flout existing regulations in pursuit of better margins?

They are statistically less likely to qualify for positions where that is even possible.

Hanarchy Montanarchy

Post by Hanarchy Montanarchy » Mon Mar 19, 2018 4:33 pm

Speaker to Animals wrote:

They are statistically less likely to qualify for positions where that is even possible.
Then the answer is 'no.'

Got it.
HAIL!

-Hwen

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Mon Mar 19, 2018 4:44 pm

That's not even what happened here, but whatever, dude.

They fucked up because they weren't even qualified to do the job. I don't think they were there on the site, calculating that it would be cheaper to do load testing and tightening of tension cables with human beings driving underneath the bridge. They didn't even consider it.

Hanarchy Montanarchy

Post by Hanarchy Montanarchy » Mon Mar 19, 2018 4:54 pm

Speaker to Animals wrote:That's not even what happened here, but whatever, dude.

They fucked up because they weren't even qualified to do the job. I don't think they were there on the site, calculating that it would be cheaper to do load testing and tightening of tension cables with human beings driving underneath the bridge. They didn't even consider it.
Maybe not, but they might have calculated that the cost of having a bunch of people standing around on the job, not doing anything, was a big waste of money, and since it is the state's job to stop traffic, they weren't gonna just wait around for the go ahead to start work. It was a passable buck, so it got passed.

You know all those memes of public employees standing around a job, not working, used to prove how terrible public unions are? Well, that is what following the rules looks like. It costs money. It has redundancies. It involves people on the job, waiting to work while the regulators, inspectors, and bean counters regulate, inspect, and count beans.

Or, ya know, maybe chicks n' spics can't do bridges good.

/shrug
HAIL!

-Hwen

Fife

Post by Fife » Mon Mar 19, 2018 4:59 pm

Lulz.

"chicks n spics"

Muh Roads FTW, fam.

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Mon Mar 19, 2018 5:11 pm

Speaker to Animals wrote:That's not even what happened here, but whatever, dude.

Maybe not, but they might have calculated that the cost of having a bunch of people standing around on the job, not doing anything, was a big waste of money, and since it is the state's job to stop traffic, they weren't gonna just wait around for the go ahead to start work. It was a passable buck, so it got passed.

You know all those memes of public employees standing around a job, not working, used to prove how terrible public unions are? Well, that is what following the rules looks like. It costs money. It has redundancies. It involves people on the job, waiting to work while the regulators, inspectors, and bean counters regulate, inspect, and count beans.

/shrug

You are rambling.

A complex team of incompetents tried to build a bridge, put it together wrong, and were in the process of fucking with it while human beings were underneath, and it collapsed.

That's what happened.

I realize your lefty sensibilities cause you to want to blame lack of regulations, the system, or some bullshit, but it really is that simple. They fucked up putting it together, they couldn't figure out what went wrong, they tried tightening some tension cables, and they never once thought maybe it would be a good idea to protect people who might be beneath. That's what happens in the opposite of a meritocracy. You award contracts to your political allies, or to people based on their having vaginas, or because they are a Latino, or whatever else doesn't have anything to do with qualifications and costs. I.e the entire democratic party program.

Maybe it should be called the Faultocracy?

Hanarchy Montanarchy

Post by Hanarchy Montanarchy » Mon Mar 19, 2018 5:18 pm

Speaker to Animals wrote:

/shrug

You are rambling.

A complex team of incompetents tried to build a bridge, put it together wrong, and were in the process of fucking with it while human beings were underneath, and it collapsed.

That's what happened.

I realize your lefty sensibilities cause you to want to blame lack of regulations, the system, or some bullshit, but it really is that simple. They fucked up putting it together, they couldn't figure out what went wrong, they tried tightening some tension cables, and they never once thought maybe it would be a good idea to protect people who might be beneath. That's what happens in the opposite of a meritocracy. You award contracts to your political allies, or to people based on their having vaginas, or because they are a Latino, or whatever else doesn't have anything to do with qualifications and costs. I.e the entire democratic party program.

Maybe it should be called the Faultocracy?

Yeah buddy, I am the one blaming 'the system.'
HAIL!

-Hwen