I Am the Least Racist Person You Know

Heraclius

Re: I Am the Least Racist Person You Know

Post by Heraclius » Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:04 pm

DBTrek wrote:
Now this seems like a much more measured worldview (and it also saves me rehashing the rise of Medieval Universities vs stagnation on the African continent to Heraclius, which would've been a long post. Thanks!)

It acknowledges the good and the bad of British colonization, and also recognizes that, like Stalin's 5-year plans, really bad shit happened while considerable progress was made. So much more satisfying than a simple "Whitey is bad, they fucked the world over" version of history. I half suspect he's read a book or two on the subject.
;)
The notion of a university is kind of already a western construct. There were scholarly associations that were meant to assist in the advancement of learning and technology around West Africa. The most famous probably being the "University of Timbuktu" (even though it wasn't an actual university).

Again, most of the world was "stagnate" in the medieval era. You're really just splitting hairs if you are trying to put the University of Bologna above Timbuktu, really.

Heraclius

Post by Heraclius » Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:06 pm

TheReal_ND wrote:
Smitty-48 wrote:The murder capital of South Africa is Cape Town, the whitest city in the country, 32% white, 15% black.
Blacks in the US statistically speaking are responsible for a much higher violent crime rate than Whites. I would be willing to wager this applies to South Africa and to an even greater degree.

Who are the other 52% of Cape Town? The fuck
http://worldpopulationreview.com/world- ... opulation/

It seems "Colored" and "Black African" are different groups in South African demographics. Also the "black" and "white" percentages seem switched.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coloureds
Last edited by Heraclius on Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TheReal_ND

Post by TheReal_ND » Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:08 pm

Yeah I think the mulatos identify different

Didn't Muslims burn that Timuktu shit down after the king travelled around throwing gold everywhere?

Heraclius

Post by Heraclius » Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:10 pm

Once the Songhai had their empire fractured, the Moroccans took the city and ended up arresting many of the scholars. This is centuries after Mansa Musa, though.

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:12 pm

TheReal_ND wrote:
Smitty-48 wrote:The murder capital of South Africa is Cape Town, the whitest city in the country, 32% white, 15% black.
Blacks in the US statistically speaking are responsible for a much higher violent crime rate than Whites. I would be willing to wager this applies to South Africa and to an even greater degree.
Well, as in America, the whites tend to have the good jobs and the non whites are driven more prominently into the drug trade to make a living.

The highest crime rate is in the Cape, the main driver of violent crime is the methamphetamine trade, there are black gangs, but one of the most notorious gangs in the Cape is the Hard Livings Gang, I think it's the second largest gang in the city, and it's actually run by South Asians allied to the Chinese Triads and Sicilian Mafia, so it's not really a question of race, just depends on who has the jobs and who is left to the gangs to recruit.
Nec Aspera Terrent

TheReal_ND

Post by TheReal_ND » Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:13 pm

Mansa Musa. Thats who im thinking of. He was in Civ 5 or 4.

LOL the dude travelled to somewhere in the near East and caused market collapses by tossing so much gold around.

TheReal_ND

Post by TheReal_ND » Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:14 pm

Smitty-48 wrote:
TheReal_ND wrote:
Well, as in America, the whites tend to have the good jobs and the non whites are driven more prominently into the drug trade to make a living.

The highest crime rate is in the Cape, the main driver of violent crime is the methamphetamine trade, there are black gangs, but one of the most notorious gangs in the Cape is the Hard Livings Gang, I think it's the second largest gang in the city, and it's actually run by South Asians allied to the Chinese Triads and Sicilian Mafia, so it's not really a question of race, just depends on who has the jobs and who is left to the gangs to recruit.
We have laws against discriminating blacks from jobs as well as corporate fast tracks for diversity hires.

Fuck off with your soggy titty liberal rhetoric. Fuck off all the way back to Canada and tell Trudeau he's paying for the North Wall.

Okeefenokee

Post by Okeefenokee » Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:15 pm

Kath wrote:Here's a couple hundred more. We wouldn't have advanced as far as we have without women contributing a great deal. It's disingenuous to say it was all white men.

I'm sure that Asians would take exception with your premise as well.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_women_inventors

I'd also like you to consider the ethnicity of the creators of civilization, numbers, tools, written law, Christianity, surgery... that all started with non-white people.
Well, white women are next on the cross after white men, so there's comfort in that.
GrumpyCatFace wrote:Dumb slut partied too hard and woke up in a weird house. Ran out the door, weeping for her failed life choices, concerned townsfolk notes her appearance and alerted the fuzz.

viewtopic.php?p=60751#p60751

DBTrek

Post by DBTrek » Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:15 pm

Heraclius wrote:
The notion of a university is kind of already a western construct.
Oh, I’m sorry. Was my example of multiple European learning communities arising in the medieval times a “western construct”? Well ... that may be why I picked it as a differentiator between the two populations.
:lol:

Awesome.
"Hey varmints, don't mess with a guy that's riding a buffalo"

Okeefenokee

Post by Okeefenokee » Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:17 pm

Speaker to Animals wrote:
Kath wrote:Here's a couple hundred more. We wouldn't have advanced as far as we have without women contributing a great deal. It's disingenuous to say it was all white men.

I'm sure that Asians would take exception with your premise as well.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_women_inventors

I'd also like you to consider the ethnicity of the creators of civilization, numbers, tools, written law, Christianity, surgery... that all started with non-white people.

Who's premise?

I agree that women are capable of contributing to society. They weren't allowed to do that in large numbers until the 1960s. You realize that, right? If you want to see what women can accomplish, you have to look at contemporary cutting-edge science, but most of that is impenetrable to the average Wikipedia consumer. Hell, the stuff in the natural sciences, especially in things vaccine research are pretty much magic-talk to me.
Maryam Mirzakhani was the first woman to win the Field's Medal, and I even after researching her work for a report, I still can't explain what she figured out.
GrumpyCatFace wrote:Dumb slut partied too hard and woke up in a weird house. Ran out the door, weeping for her failed life choices, concerned townsfolk notes her appearance and alerted the fuzz.

viewtopic.php?p=60751#p60751