Let's Riff on the next Tech/Social Revolution

doc_loliday

Re: Let's Riff on the next Tech/Social Revolution

Post by doc_loliday » Sun Jun 11, 2017 9:51 am

Some folks act like robots have taken 99% of the jobs. Despite all the doom, our ecomony is the biggest on the planet, there are still manual labor jobs that pay well if you're simply willing to move, despite the bust there are still oil jobs, the trades are paying all time highs if people would take the time time to train for them, college is free if you're poor and accessible with loans of you're not, high skilled jobs that require college are greatly in demand. There's lots money to be made. And why are we discounting the next big idea? Are the American people so completely spent? I refuse to believe it. People are risking their lives to come here because they know the real score.

What there aren't a lot of is jobs that require no investment of your time and no personal sacrifice.

You think a guy like nuke would be complaining, he takes it on the chin and laughs about his situation and he still finds the motivation.

TheReal_ND

Post by TheReal_ND » Sun Jun 11, 2017 9:53 am

Yeah I'm really thinking about getting into the electrical union but I mean no locks on my van anymore lol

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Sun Jun 11, 2017 9:55 am

doc_loliday wrote:Some folks act like robots have taken 99% of the jobs. Despite all the doom, our ecomony is the biggest on the planet, there are still manual labor jobs that pay well if you're simply willing to move, despite the bust there are still oil jobs, the trades are paying all time highs if people would take the time time to train for them, college is free if you're poor and accessible with loans of you're not, high skilled jobs that require college are greatly in demand. There's lots money to be made. And why are we discounting the next big idea? Are the American people so completely spent? I refuse to believe it. People are risking their lives to come here because they know the real score.

What there aren't a lot of is jobs that require no investment of your time and no personal sacrifice.

You think a guy like nuke would be complaining, he takes it on the chin and laughs about his situation and he still finds the motivation.

We are talking about the future, dude.

doc_loliday

Post by doc_loliday » Sun Jun 11, 2017 10:01 am

So am I. I don't see automation taking all the jobs for a long, long time.

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Sun Jun 11, 2017 10:17 am

doc_loliday wrote:So am I. I don't see automation taking all the jobs for a long, long time.
I don't either. But they are slowly replacing workers in many jobs. Most truly labor intensive jobs have seen technology replace scores of workers.

Logging crews then and now

Harvest Crew then and now
PLATA O PLOMO

Don't fear authority, Fear Obedience

TheReal_ND

Post by TheReal_ND » Sun Jun 11, 2017 10:20 am

I think I heard there is a frito lay warehouse near me that is run by like a few workers. Some warehouses require a lot of labor. Walmart warehouse workers actually get payed rather well.

doc_loliday

Post by doc_loliday » Sun Jun 11, 2017 10:34 am

The jobs are changing. Yes, most people used to do ag work, and now they do something else. This is a good thing. Minimum wage working in a gas station affords you a better life than most people had when most people lived on farms.

But for those in despair, there is still good money to be made. In a technologically advanced economy it pays to be trained/educated.

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Sun Jun 11, 2017 10:47 am

doc_loliday wrote:The jobs are changing. Yes, most people used to do ag work, and now they do something else. This is a good thing. Minimum wage working in a gas station affords you a better life than most people had when most people lived on farms.

But for those in despair, there is still good money to be made. In a technologically advanced economy it pays to be trained/educated.
I don't despair the change in jobs, but we do need to find something for people to do where they can earn their own way.
I personally feel the human spirit needs to be productive and have a feeling they are earning something.
PLATA O PLOMO

Don't fear authority, Fear Obedience

TheReal_ND

Post by TheReal_ND » Sun Jun 11, 2017 10:49 am

Just plug them into the Facebook gel vats and turn them into human batteries lel

Hanarchy Montanarchy

Post by Hanarchy Montanarchy » Sun Jun 11, 2017 10:55 am

Warehouses, service, and transportation are getting automated soon... not the distant future.

They are huge employers.

I am sure anyone who fails to strike it rich in our big ol' economy after an amazon bot, a self-service kiosk or a google car takes their job are just unwilling to make the sacrifices required for success.
HAIL!

Her needs America so they won't just take his shit away like in some pussy non gun totting countries can happen.
-Hwen