Net Neutrality

Fife

Re: Net Neutrality

Post by Fife » Fri Nov 24, 2017 8:56 am

Straight from the horse's mouth; if any of you are interested in listening and thinking for yourselves:

THE FIFTH COLUMN / GUEST: AJIT PAI (CHAIRMAN, FCC)

https://fifthcolumn.podbean.com/e/eps-82-draft/

FCC Chairman Ajit Pai drops in to explain why he's returning the Internet to the dark ages of... 2015.

PLUS:

Draymond vs. Mark Cuban
The AOL-Time Warner instant messaging juggernaut
Janet Jackson's wardrobe and Stephen Colbert's c***holster
Why won't the FCC just let Slim Shady be?

http://reason.com/blog/2017/11/21/ajit- ... he-origina

Ajit Pai: ‘We Are Returning to the Original Classification of the Internet’
In a Fifth Column interview, FCC chair announces the beginning of the end of Title II regulatory classification of Internet companies, frets about the culture of free speech, and calls social-media regulation "a dangerous road to cross."

With us back to the past, prior to the imposition of these rules in 2015, we had a free and open Internet. We were not living in some digital dystopia in which that kind of anti-consumer behavior happens. There was no market failure, in other words, for the government to solve. Going forward, the question then is, what should the regulations be? Now as you said, there could be some kind of anti-competitive conduct by one or a couple players. And to me, at least, the question is, how do you want to address that? Do you want to have preemptive regulation based on rules that were generated in the Great Depression to regulate this dynamic space, or do you want to take targeted action against the bad apples as they pop up?

And to me, at least, the targeted action is the better approach, for a couple different reasons. Number one, preemptive regulation comes at significant cost. Treating every single Internet Service Provider as a monopolist, an anti-competitive monopolist that has to be regulated with common-carrier regulation, is a pretty...that's a sledgehammer kind of tool. And so that has significant impacts, and we've seen some of those impacts in terms of less investment in broadband networks going forward.

But secondly, I think it also obscures the fact that we want to preserve a vibrant open Internet with more competition. And so to the extent you impose these heavy-handed regulations, ironically enough, you might be cementing in the very lack of competition, as you see it, that you want to address.

And so my argument has been, let's introduce more competition into the marketplace in order to solve that problem. We've been doing that by improving more satellite companies, getting more spectrum out there for wireless companies, incentivizing smaller fiber providers in cities like Detroit, to be able install infrastructure. That is the way to solve that problem. Not preemptively saying, "We are going to impose these rules on everybody, regardless of whether there is an actual harm right now."
On this issue especially, we can all be thankful that neither that hag bitch nor any of the GOPe losers got elected last year, bet dat.

It's a fucking great day for America!

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:03 am

In the dark ages before 2015, Comcast made Netflix inoperable during the evening hours for me. If I tried to stream Netflix, my internet traffic slowed to almost nothing. I could restore my internet traffic by purchasing a Comcast On Demand product. Weird.

Thanks, fam. Great fucking idea. Let's deregulate the power utilities next!

Fife

Post by Fife » Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:05 am

Speaker to Animals wrote:Let's deregulate the power utilities next!
GOOD!

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:06 am

Fife wrote:
Speaker to Animals wrote:Let's deregulate the power utilities next!
GOOD!

WOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!

The Conservative

Post by The Conservative » Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:33 am

Speaker to Animals wrote:It is a monopoly you retard. Every community has a single broadband connection (cable) and then a few shit services like DSL. You don't get to choose between broadband providers.

Then the actual internet backbone is run by only a few companies who control most of the TCP/IP traffic in the United States. They want to get into the toll business too.
I see your Thanksgiving went well.

If it was a monopoly, the government would be able to break it up. Since that isn't happening, we can't call it a monopoly.
#NotOneRedCent

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:36 am

The Conservative wrote:
Speaker to Animals wrote:It is a monopoly you retard. Every community has a single broadband connection (cable) and then a few shit services like DSL. You don't get to choose between broadband providers.

Then the actual internet backbone is run by only a few companies who control most of the TCP/IP traffic in the United States. They want to get into the toll business too.
I see your Thanksgiving went well.

If it was a monopoly, the government would be able to break it up. Since that isn't happening, we can't call it a monopoly.

That's not what the word monopoly means you fucking moron. The power company that keeps your lights on is a monopoly. If the government broke it up, one of the remaining pieces would still be your power utility monopoly. That's why we have to regulate it.

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:08 am

https://medium.com/@jeffykao/more-than- ... f0e3ed36a6
Key Findings:

* One pro-repeal spam campaign used mail-merge to disguise 1.3 million comments as unique grassroots submissions.
* There were likely multiple other campaigns aimed at injecting what may total several million pro-repeal comments into the system.
* It’s highly likely that more than 99% of the truly unique comments³ were in favor of keeping net neutrality.

:think:

Maybe there is a lot of money to be made in scamming consumers out of what little money they have left with a deregulated internet market..

Fife

Post by Fife » Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:19 am

Maybe your boss Soros will come up with a contingency plan to save the federal takeover of the internet. :lol:

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:38 am

Why don't you explain to everybody how deregulating Internet traffic is going to result in us having more "competition".

I don't think many of you have a clue how the Internet actually works.

The Conservative

Post by The Conservative » Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:51 am

Speaker to Animals wrote:Why don't you explain to everybody how deregulating Internet traffic is going to result in us having more "competition".

I don't think many of you have a clue how the Internet actually works.
Wow, the first time in a long time you actually want more government...
Screen Shot 2017-11-24 at 12.44.30 PM.png
So remind me, the image above came from this topic, explain to me why this is a bad thing?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
#NotOneRedCent