"If minimum wage goes up, the price of everything goes up."

SuburbanFarmer

Re: "If minimum wage goes up, the price of everything goes up."

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:27 am

DBTrek wrote:Bezos had no reason *not* to be overconfident. His Kindle Fire damn near unseated the iPad for #1 selling tablet back when the iPad looked unassailable. Then he whooped Apple's ass in a lawsuit over eBooks. Then he gobbled up all sorts of their eBook and digital music market share. Amazon's track record against Apple ain't half bad.
He misjudged what he was competing with. Online books are a far cry from cellphones. Maybe he was looking at it as a brand competition, when it wasn't.
SJWs are a natural consequence of corporatism.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

https://youtu.be/CYbT8-rSqo0

Fife

Post by Fife » Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:53 am

Yes, Bezos missed the mark. Online books are mostly only for people who can actually read. Slick phones are especially good for everyone else.

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Tue Jun 27, 2017 11:46 am

Bezos was sabotaged by the publishing industry. In most cases, the e-book costs as much as the print version. In some case, the e-book costs more than the print version.

The only way Kindle can really take off is for the kindle version of books to come down dramatically.

Publishers do NOT want to transition to electronic books for various reasons, so they do whatever they can to keep that day in the future.

Personally, I prefer the physical book for nonfiction. For SF novels, the kindle is pretty nice. I don't need to be able to flip through it, search for something that was said in the past, etc.

Fife

Post by Fife » Tue Jun 27, 2017 11:54 am

I still prefer a dead-tree book for most things myself. One thing that the kindle is absolutely fantastic for is downloading samples. I sometimes go through 5-10 samples to find something I really want to invest the time into; and even though e-book format is terrible for something with lots of technical language, formulas, images, &c., the sample will clue you in on whether the book as whole is worth spending the time and money on.

Okeefenokee

Post by Okeefenokee » Tue Jun 27, 2017 12:01 pm

GrumpyCatFace wrote:Dumb slut partied too hard and woke up in a weird house. Ran out the door, weeping for her failed life choices, concerned townsfolk notes her appearance and alerted the fuzz.

viewtopic.php?p=60751#p60751

DBTrek

Post by DBTrek » Tue Jun 27, 2017 12:26 pm

If only Jeff Bezos could have the awesome predictive powers of hindsight possessed by the MHF members.
Then he might succeed.
:lol:
"Hey varmints, don't mess with a guy that's riding a buffalo"

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Tue Jun 27, 2017 12:49 pm

DBTrek wrote:If only Jeff Bezos could have the awesome predictive powers of hindsight possessed by the MHF members.
Then he might succeed.
:lol:
Meh. I knew it was a disaster before it hit the market. The specs were terrible, and the OS was barely functional. It had a fraction of the features of iPhone, for nearly the same price. It was never going to work.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

DBTrek

Post by DBTrek » Tue Jun 27, 2017 12:54 pm

GCF, the Oracle of hindsight.
"Hey varmints, don't mess with a guy that's riding a buffalo"

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Tue Jun 27, 2017 1:06 pm

I think his idea was solid. The problem was that the publishing industry killed it by driving up the costs of e-books.

But I think the long game, at least with respect to pulp fiction, Bezos has the winning side. The kindle market basically makes the publishing industry obsolete. People can publish their own works without going through a gatekeeper. The only thing he is missing is some formal means to select from the vast ocean of utter rubbish the works worth buying.

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Tue Jun 27, 2017 1:25 pm

Speaker to Animals wrote:I think his idea was solid. The problem was that the publishing industry killed it by driving up the costs of e-books.

But I think the long game, at least with respect to pulp fiction, Bezos has the winning side. The kindle market basically makes the publishing industry obsolete. People can publish their own works without going through a gatekeeper. The only thing he is missing is some formal means to select from the vast ocean of utter rubbish the works worth buying.
So... becoming a gatekeeper? :lol:

Formerly GrumpyCatFace