The Destroyer of All Western Values

Smitty-48

Re: The Destroyer of All Western Values

Post by Smitty-48 » Wed May 31, 2017 8:54 pm

So many great scenes in Nixon, but these two pretty much say it all, again, poetry over prose... Nixon is a meme, it's not a documentary

Nec Aspera Terrent

heydaralon

Post by heydaralon » Wed May 31, 2017 9:05 pm

Smitty-48 wrote:So many great scenes in Nixon, but these two pretty much say it all, again, poetry over prose... Nixon is a meme, it's not a documentary

Hopkins is a great actor, even though he has made some questionable choices lately. I think he's in the new Transformers movie, which looks like a shitfest. He did kick ass in West World though. Stole every scene he was in.
Shikata ga nai

heydaralon

Post by heydaralon » Wed May 31, 2017 9:09 pm

Didn't Nixon and Hoover kind of hate each other?
Shikata ga nai

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Wed May 31, 2017 9:15 pm

heydaralon wrote:Didn't Nixon and Hoover kind of hate each other?
Hate? They were buddies from way back, partners in crime, for decades, haven't you ever listened to them chatting away on the tapes? Two peas in a pod.
Nec Aspera Terrent

heydaralon

Post by heydaralon » Wed May 31, 2017 9:18 pm

Smitty-48 wrote:
heydaralon wrote:Didn't Nixon and Hoover kind of hate each other?
Hate? They were buddies from way back, partners in crime, for decades, haven't you ever listened to them chatting away on the tapes?
I've never heard the tapes, just read transcript quotes. I thought Hoover was basically loathed by every president but he had so much dirt on all of them that it took decades to finally shitcan him. The guy just had too much leverage. From what little I know about him he seems like a huge dickhead.
Shikata ga nai

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Wed May 31, 2017 9:25 pm

But Hoover protected the Presidents who played ball with him, Johnson and Hoover got along great, Nixon and Hoover got along great, so long as you were a hardass who was ready and willing to put a bit o' stick about on the rabble rousers, you'd get along with Hoover just fine.

But I mean, Nixon and Hoover were working together, long before Nixon became President, they were partners of sorts, all the way back to the forties, puttin' a bit o' stick about, on them Bolshies, see.
Last edited by Smitty-48 on Wed May 31, 2017 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nec Aspera Terrent

heydaralon

Post by heydaralon » Wed May 31, 2017 9:28 pm

Smitty-48 wrote:But Hoover protected the Presidents who played ball with him, Johnson and Hoover got along great, Nixon and Hoover got along great, so long as you were a hardass who was going to put a bit o' stick about on the rabble rousers, you'd get along with Hoover just fine.
Are you an Eisenhower fan? I don't know why, but I've always liked Eisenhower since I was in elementary school. I respect the fact that he was a general and had experience with the military before becoming president. He understood the threat of Communism, but he also tried to extricate us from Korea, put an end to the Suez goatfuck, and generally understood long term strategy even though he acted like he didn't when dealing with the press. The guy did some silly shit, but I think he was a pretty cool president.
Shikata ga nai

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Wed May 31, 2017 9:32 pm

heydaralon wrote:
Smitty-48 wrote:But Hoover protected the Presidents who played ball with him, Johnson and Hoover got along great, Nixon and Hoover got along great, so long as you were a hardass who was going to put a bit o' stick about on the rabble rousers, you'd get along with Hoover just fine.
Are you an Eisenhower fan? I don't know why, but I've always liked Eisenhower since I was in elementary school. I respect the fact that he was a general and had experience with the military before becoming president. He understood the threat of Communism, but he also tried to extricate us from Korea, put an end to the Suez goatfuck, and generally understood long term strategy even though he acted like he didn't when dealing with the press. The guy did some silly shit, but I think he was a pretty cool president.
Yeah, I like Ike, what's not to like? I'm like the opposite of Dan Carlin, I'm a fan of the Presidency, I tend to like the Presidents and hate the Congress, it's more like which President's don't I like rather than which President's do I like, I generally see things from the President's point of view, I tend to sympathize with the President, unless he's a complete and utter twat, like Carter, or Clinton.
Nec Aspera Terrent

heydaralon

Post by heydaralon » Wed May 31, 2017 9:45 pm

Smitty-48 wrote:
heydaralon wrote:
Yeah, I like Ike, what's not to like? I'm like the opposite of Dan Carlin, I'm a fan of the Presidency, I tend to like the Presidents and hate the Congress, it's more like which President's don't I like rather than which President's do I like, I generally see things from the President's point of view, I tend to sympathize with the President, unless he's a complete and utter twat, like Carter, or Clinton.
Not a fan of either of them. I think Carter actually gave the Panama canal away. Then there was the whole Eagle Claw debacle, where Sadiq Khalkali held up the charred arm of a dead American serviceman on Iranian tv from the chopper crash site. Carter did not do shit about it. Rumor has it the Iranians collaborated with Reagan to release the hostages immediately after Reagan won as a final fuck you to Jimmy. Don't know if there's anything to that. To be fair, the hostages were released because of the negotiations and work he put in. That's the weird thing about America. Occasionally, people will say that American people do not want war, yet when Carter tried this approach, he fell on his face, and is sneered at to this day. People do not look on his term fondly, even though at heart I think Carter is a good human being. I don't know what to make of all that.
Shikata ga nai

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Wed May 31, 2017 9:47 pm

We don't want war, but Americans will not tolerate weakness either - whether it's real or only in appearance. This is a constant in our politics.
SJWs are a natural consequence of corporatism.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

https://youtu.be/CYbT8-rSqo0