How's that Obamacare Repeal Working Out For You?

TheReal_ND

Re: How's that Obamacare Repeal Working Out For You?

Post by TheReal_ND » Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:58 am

Senate Republicans decide to move forward with repealing ACA without a replacement plan
Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell on Monday night abruptly called for a vote to repeal Obamacare without an immediate replacement after the latest Republican effort to overhaul the U.S. health-care system fizzled out.

"Regretfully, it's now apparent that the effort to repeal and immediately replace the failure of Obamacare will not be successful," McConnell said in a statement. "So, in the coming days, the Senate will vote to take up the House bill with the first amendment in order being what a majority of the Senate has already supported in 2015 and that was vetoed by then-President Obama: a repeal of Obamacare with a two-year delay to provide for a stable transition period to a patient-centered health care system that gives Americans access to quality, affordable care."

President Donald Trump, who had pressed for a repeal and replacement plan, urged Republican lawmakers to repeal Obamacare first, and then come up with a solution for replacing it. It is unclear if the GOP has the votes to repeal the law without an immediate replacement, as it risks destabilizing insurance markets.

Earlier Monday, two more Republican senators said they would oppose the current Republican health-care bill — enough to doom its passage barring changes.

In messages posted to Twitter, Sens. Jerry Moran, R-Kan., and Mike Lee, R-Utah, became the third and fourth GOP senators to say they would not support their party's Obamacare replacement plan as written. They said they would not even back a motion to allow a procedural vote that would have started debate on the bill. The GOP, which holds 52 seats in the Senate, had already seen two defections and could not afford a third.
http://www.cnbc.com/2017/07/17/presiden ... -plan.html

Fife

Post by Fife » Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:08 am

LEADERSHIP :

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:24 am

House Freedom Caucus chairman Rep. Mark Meadows (R-NC) is joining with President Donald J. Trump and Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell in pushing for Congress to send a clean repeal of Obamacare to President Trump’s desk now, and work on the replacement later.
Meadows, who is making the call in an exclusive statement to Breitbart News, joins them as both Trump and McConnell called for clean repeal of Obamacare to go to Trump now and a replacement later after the Senate health bill failed late Monday. When Sens. Jerry Moran (R-KS) and Mike Lee (R-UT) came out against the bill—joining Sens. Rand Paul (R-KY) and Susan Collins (R-ME)—Trump and McConnell called for clean repeal of Obamacare now then a bipartisan replacement plan later.
http://www.breitbart.com/big-government ... ent-later/

I think it's a mistake. But I guess it's better than the cucks like Ryan tying the repeal to a new form of Obamacare.

TheReal_ND

Post by TheReal_ND » Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:29 am

This shouldn't even be a debate. Repeal should have came first. Bad political move on Trump's part.

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:52 am

TheReal_ND wrote:This shouldn't even be a debate. Repeal should have came first. Bad political move on Trump's part.

The problem is that the democrats still have the power to block any replacement at least until after the midterm elections.

I think Trump is correct in that, unfortunately, the best course of action may be to let Obamacare fail on its own before we attempt to replace it.

TheReal_ND

Post by TheReal_ND » Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:56 am

Repeal it while we have the votes. Some people are paying huge insurance bills rn. Worry about replacing it later that's what the debate should be but somehow AFCA is still alive wtf?

pineapplemike

Post by pineapplemike » Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:03 pm

Should have focused on tax reform first, I don't understand what their fascination with healthcare was, that shit is a dead end, people will be angry no matter what they do. Just get rid of the mandate and move on, let it fail, it's been going belly up in counties across the country, just highlight its failures and let it do its thing. Now Congressional Republicans look like morons, as if they didn't already. I don't blame them for not being able to pass anything, I would think it's a good thing when there is more debate and negotiation rather than some bill with a fancy name that gets rushed through with blind support, but jeez what do they have to show for the past several months? Time for another recess yet?

TheReal_ND

Post by TheReal_ND » Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:08 pm

No they are staying for August. Health care is a big deal for families paying a grand a month for coverage. Should have just repealed imo

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:11 pm

It's driving the working poor to work under the table as well. They are struggling to get by, can't afford shitty Obamacare plans, but then come tax time they get to pay a huge penalty that they can't afford. They just tend to say fuck these people and find work under the table.

Small business owners are starting to hire people this way for similar reasons.

The federal government is slowly losing legitimacy because of this. They really have to walk this stuff back. It's not that big of a deal now, but if it keeps up, it will grow into a pretty big problem for them.

pineapplemike

Post by pineapplemike » Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:16 pm

The penalty was the most brazen aspect of the whole thing imo, I got dinged for it two years in a row

@ND It's not like healthcare was cheap before Obamacare, I agree they should repeal it if they have the stones to do so but then what? Prices will keep rising, this seems like a problem that DC is incapable of fixing without a hard shift towards the right or the left