Social Justice Warriors Thread

Speaker to Animals

Re: Social Justice Warriors Thread

Post by Speaker to Animals » Mon May 22, 2017 11:45 am

de officiis wrote:Why have razors gotten so damned expensive, BTW? Scandalous.

They created an oligopoly. Nobody is allowed to manufacture generic razor blades for powered razors because of patent law. So they make a killing by driving up razor prices.

Because the two companies patented every conceivable way to manufacture a powered razor, nobody can really get in there without paying them hefty royalties.

Another reason patents are a mistake.

Martin Hash

Post by Martin Hash » Mon May 22, 2017 11:50 am

Patents are only 20 years, which is long but tolerable. It's the fuckin' 120 year Copyrights that truly suck dick.
Shamedia, Shamdemic, Shamucation, Shamlection, Shamconomy & Shamate Change

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Mon May 22, 2017 11:52 am

20 years is kind of ridiculous, man.

The worst are some of the software patents, but you made out like a bandit on that, so I might as well be talking to the wall.

Ph64

Post by Ph64 » Mon May 22, 2017 12:25 pm

I dunno, I use the Gillette 5 blade handle - they sent a couple years back when they first came out with like 2 blades trying to "entice" people into using them. Of course they wanted like $18 for 4 fucking replacement blades... so I get them now on eBay, like $3.70 for 4 blade cartridges, free shipping from Asia/China, which I'm sure is where Gillette has them made anyways. Quality wise they seem to last just as long - how much can you really fuck up several tiny sharpened bits of metal that only last a few shaves anyways?

Of course I bought a straight blade, sharpening strap and grit, and am gonna give the real old fashioned shave a try... seems far less wasteful.
"People don't like to be meddled with. We tell them what to do, what to think, don't run, don't walk. We're in their homes and in their heads and we haven't the right. We're meddlesome."

TheReal_ND

Post by TheReal_ND » Mon May 22, 2017 12:29 pm

I want to do this too but I'm afraid I would cut my face up like a crack head.

Fife

Post by Fife » Mon May 22, 2017 12:30 pm

Ph64 wrote:
I dunno, I use the Gillette 5 blade handle - they sent a couple years back when they first came out with like 2 blades trying to "entice" people into using them. Of course they wanted like $18 for 4 fucking replacement blades... so I get them now on eBay, like $3.70 for 4 blade cartridges, free shipping from Asia/China, which I'm sure is where Gillette has them made anyways. Quality wise they seem to last just as long - how much can you really fuck up several tiny sharpened bits of metal that only last a few shaves anyways?

Of course I bought a straight blade, sharpening strap and grit, and am gonna give the real old fashioned shave a try... seems far less wasteful.
I actually tried one out a couple or three years ago when TC was talking about straight razors on the DCF.

I always thought I was pretty handy with a blade of any kind--until I tried that experiment. It's up in the medicine cabinet somewhere now. I'm sure it will be a big ticket item at my estate sale someday...unless one of you all want me to leave it to you. :doh:

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Mon May 22, 2017 12:31 pm

I have been thinking about going straight razor because of the cost of razors as well. Not sure how difficult it is, though.

Fife

Post by Fife » Mon May 22, 2017 12:33 pm

It's a completely different world, dude.

I would like to have a legit barber give me a good straight razor shave. But doing it to myself was a freaking bloodbath.

TheReal_ND

Post by TheReal_ND » Mon May 22, 2017 12:39 pm

Fife wrote:
Ph64 wrote:

I actually tried one out a couple or three years ago when TC was talking about straight razors on the DCF.

I always thought I was pretty handy with a blade of any kind--until I tried that experiment. It's up in the medicine cabinet somewhere now. I'm sure it will be a big ticket item at my estate sale someday...unless one of you all want me to leave it to you. :doh:
Gross. GAIDS

de officiis

Post by de officiis » Mon May 22, 2017 1:29 pm

Ph64 wrote:

Lowest price I can find is for a 12-pack of 3-bladers at our wholesale club. I don't really understand why 3 blades are necessary, frankly...it's overkill.

Let us know how the straight razor thing works out!