Re: The internet takeover thread

Post by C-Mag » Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:51 am

SuburbanFarmer wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:38 am
C-Mag wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:35 am
SuburbanFarmer wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:26 am
Doesn't really matter which side of "censorship" you're on here. Monte is forcing everyone to reconcile their former stance on "Bake My Cake" vs. another private company being forced to serve everyone.
:lol:
Not even the same thing. I've made this case before and you've ignored it.

A mom and pop store refusing service to a person over religious beliefs is not the same as a National Communication System overseen by the US Government Censoring Free Speech to a group based on political ideology.

What say you to that ?
Are you talking about the internet itself? Alex Jones isn't banned from the entire internet. He just can't post on Facebook, dude.

And Facebook (we hope) is not directly overseen by the US Government.
Oh for Fucks Sake.
I posted the US Law passed in the Spring of 2016 already.
If you are too lazy to read it, or too stupid to understand it I can't help you.

I'd add to this that because Facebook, Twitter and Google are publicly traded companies, they can’t be considered a “private” company exempt from the First Amendment’s free speech provisions. Your entire argument rests on the fact that these are private entities...……….. They are not, they are PUBLIC Entities and recognized as such by the US Government.

Do you clowns deny Facebook, Twitter and Google are publicly traded companies ?
PLATA O PLOMO

Don't fear authority, Fear Obedience

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:56 am

C-Mag wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:51 am
SuburbanFarmer wrote:
C-Mag wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:35 am

Not even the same thing. I've made this case before and you've ignored it.

A mom and pop store refusing service to a person over religious beliefs is not the same as a National Communication System overseen by the US Government Censoring Free Speech to a group based on political ideology.

What say you to that ?
Are you talking about the internet itself? Alex Jones isn't banned from the entire internet. He just can't post on Facebook, dude.

Oh for Fucks Sake.
If you are too lazy to read it, or too stupid to understand it I can't help you.
Wow.

I presume you're referring to this House bill that has not even reached a general vote yet, in either house of Congress?
C-Mag wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:53 pm
This Bill made it legal for Google, Twitter and Facebook to Censor people,
guess what people in our government are pulling the strings, it's called the
Center for Information Analysis and Response

https://www.congress.gov/bill/114th-con ... /5181/text

I'd add to this that because Facebook, Twitter and Google are publicly traded companies, they can’t be considered a “private” company exempt from the First Amendment’s free speech provisions. Your entire argument rests on the fact that these are private entities...……….. They are not, they are PUBLIC Entities and recognized as such by the US Government.

"Publicly traded company" is not the same thing as "Public Service", or "Government Owned".

Holy hell, I don't even have time to explain that one.
SJWs are a natural consequence of corporatism.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

https://youtu.be/CYbT8-rSqo0

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:57 am

C-Mag wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:07 am
Fife wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:52 am
In fact, the thirst of the average fan of censorship for a state credential is unquenchable.

Zealots simply will not tolerate dissent. Tolerance is off the table for a zealot, and publicly-displayed hypocrisy is a small price to pay for the big stick of the state as a tool in smashing dissent.
+1

IMO, the establishment realizes that Internet Freedom of Speech was a YUGE key to the Trump victory, and they want to sew up that loose end. They are making moves to do that. They are putting their people in key positions in new media to ensure that happens. The Obama's at Netflix is one example.

This is no different from the Ross Perot scare of '92, they quickly responded by sewing up the chance of a 3rd Party candidate getting into power. Same, same here.

Europeans are descended from Centuries of kneeling before Monarchs. I can't really expect them to really fully embrace Civil Liberties like Americans who threw off that level of control. That's why it's logical for many of them to embrace censorship. But that's not the future.
Really Carlus?
Never heard of the Magna Carta, the peasants revolt, the Levellers, Tollpuddle martyrs, the civil war, the abolition of the slave trade, parliamentary supremacy, the Ketts rebellion, universal suffrage, votes for women, poll tax riots....
The British have a long history of fighting for their rights. Centuries of doing it in fact.
The British fought for civil liberties long before Columbus sailed to the new world.
You need to brush up on your history my friend.
For legal reasons, we are not threatening to destroy U.S. government property with our glorious medieval siege engine. But if we wanted to, we could. But we won’t. But we could.

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:01 am

SuburbanFarmer wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:56 am
C-Mag wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:51 am
SuburbanFarmer wrote:

Oh for Fucks Sake.
Wow.

I presume you're referring to this House bill that has not even reached a general vote yet, in either house of Congress?
C-Mag wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:53 pm
This Bill made it legal for Google, Twitter and Facebook to Censor people,
guess what people in our government are pulling the strings, it's called the
Center for Information Analysis and Response

https://www.congress.gov/bill/114th-con ... /5181/text

"Publicly traded company" is not the same thing as "Public Service", or "Government Owned".
So now you are shifting your argument. I take that as a big win. Thank You, Thank You :clap:
You realize I'm right about the difference between Private and Public and now you want to parse Public Service and Public Entity, while somehow throwing in Government Owned.

Stop, just Stop, go read the Fucking Law.

Even Fife our resident Lawyer weighed in and agreed with me that the US government was in oversight of these as Public Entities.
PLATA O PLOMO

Okeefenokee

Post by Okeefenokee » Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:04 am

Montegriffo wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:57 am
C-Mag wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:07 am
Fife wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:52 am
In fact, the thirst of the average fan of censorship for a state credential is unquenchable.

Zealots simply will not tolerate dissent. Tolerance is off the table for a zealot, and publicly-displayed hypocrisy is a small price to pay for the big stick of the state as a tool in smashing dissent.
+1

IMO, the establishment realizes that Internet Freedom of Speech was a YUGE key to the Trump victory, and they want to sew up that loose end. They are making moves to do that. They are putting their people in key positions in new media to ensure that happens. The Obama's at Netflix is one example.

This is no different from the Ross Perot scare of '92, they quickly responded by sewing up the chance of a 3rd Party candidate getting into power. Same, same here.

Europeans are descended from Centuries of kneeling before Monarchs. I can't really expect them to really fully embrace Civil Liberties like Americans who threw off that level of control. That's why it's logical for many of them to embrace censorship. But that's not the future.
Really Carlus?
Never heard of the Magna Carta, the peasants revolt, the Levellers, Tollpuddle martyrs, the civil war, the abolition of the slave trade, parliamentary supremacy, the Ketts rebellion, universal suffrage, votes for women, poll tax riots....
The British have a long history of fighting for their rights. Centuries of doing it in fact.
The British fought for civil liberties long before Columbus sailed to the new world.
You need to brush up on your history my friend.
You pathetic fucks cant even have garden clippers.

You go to fucking jail for filming on a public street.

Your police drag you out of bed at night for mean tweets.

Get the fuck out of here with that shit.
GrumpyCatFace wrote:Dumb slut partied too hard and woke up in a weird house. Ran out the door, weeping for her failed life choices, concerned townsfolk notes her appearance and alerted the fuzz.

viewtopic.php?p=60751#p60751

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:08 am

Okeefenokee wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:04 am

You pathetic fucks cant even have garden clippers.

You go to fucking jail for filming on a public street.

Your police drag you out of bed at night for mean tweets.

Get the fuck out of here with that shit.
Yeah, they had tantrums, but in the end, they are still celebrating a Monarchy, and still knuckling under to everything. Including having their garden tools taken from them.
PLATA O PLOMO

Fife

Post by Fife » Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:11 am

C-Mag wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:01 am
Even Fife our resident Lawyer weighed in and agreed with me that the US government was in oversight of these as Public Entities.
Wait, what?

The first amendment doesn't apply to Facebook. Being a publicly traded company doesn't make the company a state actor for the purposes of the 1st, ipso facto.

That factoid doesn't give any relief to the big-state losers like Flounder and Montez. They are still wild-eyed censors looking for a big ole cop with a gun to do their bidding. But the 1st doesn't apply to Facebook.

Also, be cautious about how lazy the "monopoly" paranoia is being flung around here. (Even if Facebook were a monopoly, the 1st still wouldn't apply. Maybe the Sherman Act, but not the 1st.)
Last edited by Fife on Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Okeefenokee

Post by Okeefenokee » Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:13 am

Fife wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:11 am
C-Mag wrote:
Wait, what?

I was there. He did.
GrumpyCatFace wrote:Dumb slut partied too hard and woke up in a weird house. Ran out the door, weeping for her failed life choices, concerned townsfolk notes her appearance and alerted the fuzz.

viewtopic.php?p=60751#p60751

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:16 am

Can Monte or SubFam or anyone make an argument of why Censorship is such a great thing. You guys are defending it. But Why ?
PLATA O PLOMO

Fife

Post by Fife » Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:17 am

Okeefenokee wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:13 am
Fife wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:11 am
C-Mag wrote:
Wait, what?

I was there. He did.
You're gonna have to give me a cite on that one, kiddo. (Me calling that statute the 21st century Jim Crow law prototype ain't it, BTW)