"If minimum wage goes up, the price of everything goes up."

DBTrek

Re: "If minimum wage goes up, the price of everything goes up."

Post by DBTrek » Fri Jun 02, 2017 1:35 pm

You realize WinCo was already paying folks $11 an hour, right?

Here's their pay data for "everywhere":
https://www.glassdoor.com/Hourly-Pay/Wi ... E11196.htm

Now, even outside of WA state almost every employee is within $0.50 of $11 per hour.
So you're looking at a chain that was already paying people what the new minimum wage has become and claiming that it hasn't affected their prices.
"Hey varmints, don't mess with a guy that's riding a buffalo"

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Fri Jun 02, 2017 1:38 pm

The price of milk is largely controlled by the "co-ops", which really operate as a kind of milk cartel. The store's mark-up on milk is so low that the effect of higher minimum wages would not be remarkable according to anybody.

What you need to look at is rising unemployment.

Martin Hash

Post by Martin Hash » Fri Jun 02, 2017 1:41 pm

I think Jedi is suggesting that there's a magical Minimum Wage that affects nothing! OTHERWISE, why not a $30/hr Minimum Wage, or $100/hr. Hell, just hand the money over to the Worker, that's what Marxism is all about isn't it, the Worker IS the Owner.

I get so fuckin' sickin' tired of Minimum Wage people thinking ONLY LABOR is not affected by Market Forces.
Shamedia, Shamdemic, Shamucation, Shamlection, Shamconomy & Shamate Change

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Fri Jun 02, 2017 1:41 pm

I wouldn't even be surprised if retailers like Walmart sell their non-organic whole milk at a slight loss or at cost just to get people into the store buying shit the store actually can afford to play around with prices.

jediuser598

Post by jediuser598 » Fri Jun 02, 2017 1:47 pm

FRNZ ABIBA WHIT - 1.68 is White Bread
FRANZ PIONEER - 3.48 is 24 pack (I think) of sandwich bread.
TABASCO SCE 3.38 is Tabasco Sauce
BIC PEN STICK 1.92 is a ten pack of blue bic pens
EL MNTRY CHIMIS 4.88 is a 16 pack of chimichangas
LOF TRKY BRST 3.28 is a LB pack of Sliced Turkey Breast
LOF PREM SMOKED 6.52 is two LB packs of Sliced Smoked Ham
POTATOES 5# BAG .98 is a 5lb bag of potatoes
ARMOUR SALAMI 1.68 is a pack of hard salami
KRAFT SLICED CH 2.49 is a pack of American sliced cheese
WINCO DRESSING 1.48 is a bottle of Ranch Dressing
SABRA HUMMUS 3.98 is a container of Hummus
LETTUCE, HEAD .98 is a head of lettuce
NAB TRISCUIT 1.58 is a box of Triscuit
FRANZ ABIB SRDO 1.88 is Sourdough bread.
WINCO MED CHDR 4.98 is a 3lb block of medium cheddar cheese
WINCO SLCD CHS 2.34 is a package of sliced provolone cheese
LETTUCE ICEBR .98 is lettuce
MISSION FLR TRI 2.78 (I don't know what this is)
5# ONIONS 1.98 5lb bag of onions
TOMATO HOT HOUSE .98/lb Tomatoes
CNTRY CRK SPRD 3.46 is butter.

That's more than one pic, a time stamp, still no comparison to the earlier cost of the item, and a sample size of more than one item.

What we could compare is apples to apples, if users have prices of their local stores, with similar or the same food items, with their local minimum wage listed.
Thy praise or dispraise is to me alike:
One doth not stroke me, nor the other strike.
-Ben Johnson

DBTrek

Post by DBTrek » Fri Jun 02, 2017 1:49 pm

I don't mind the pro raise minimum wage position as long as folks are honest. Hey, if you're not one of the fools that got their job cut, or their hours scaled back, then CHA-CHING for you! But don't try to seize some moral high ground like you've magically helped "the worker". All the slobs who lost their jobs weren't helped. All the folks taking hours reductions weren't helped. But sure, the minimum wage workers who kept their jobs and hours - them you helped.

That's true for raising it to $30 or $100 an hour as well. Sure, every minimum wage worker would lose their job at that point (and several people above current minimum wage workers would also be wiped out, as would entire industries). But damn, those folks who kept their jobs at the new minimum wage - CHA-CHING!!!

/shrug

Just be honest about what you're doing. You're eliminating some folks livelihood to make life better for those that survive the cut.
Not that different from the 1%ers, really.

jediuser598

Post by jediuser598 » Fri Jun 02, 2017 1:52 pm

Martin Hash wrote:I think Jedi is suggesting that there's a magical Minimum Wage that affects nothing! OTHERWISE, why not a $30/hr Minimum Wage, or $100/hr. Hell, just hand the money over to the Worker, that's what Marxism is all about isn't it, the Worker IS the Owner.

I get so fuckin' sickin' tired of Minimum Wage people thinking ONLY LABOR is not affected by Market Forces.
What I run into constantly is the saying "If you raise the minimum wage, the price of food will go up."

I would say that's simply not true, sure raising minimum wage might be a factor, but it's hardly the deciding factor.

We can run out all of the studies we want, from fox news, washington post, new york times, which one time or another all of you have said you simply don't trust, but the price of milk is the price of milk, something anyone can easily go and see. Just because minimum wage goes up, doesn't necessarily mean that the price of food goes up.
-Ben Johnson

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Fri Jun 02, 2017 1:56 pm

jediuser598 wrote:FRNZ ABIBA WHIT - 1.68 is White Bread
FRANZ PIONEER - 3.48 is 24 pack (I think) of sandwich bread.
TABASCO SCE 3.38 is Tabasco Sauce
BIC PEN STICK 1.92 is a ten pack of blue bic pens
EL MNTRY CHIMIS 4.88 is a 16 pack of chimichangas
LOF TRKY BRST 3.28 is a LB pack of Sliced Turkey Breast
LOF PREM SMOKED 6.52 is two LB packs of Sliced Smoked Ham
POTATOES 5# BAG .98 is a 5lb bag of potatoes
ARMOUR SALAMI 1.68 is a pack of hard salami
KRAFT SLICED CH 2.49 is a pack of American sliced cheese
WINCO DRESSING 1.48 is a bottle of Ranch Dressing
SABRA HUMMUS 3.98 is a container of Hummus
LETTUCE, HEAD .98 is a head of lettuce
NAB TRISCUIT 1.58 is a box of Triscuit
FRANZ ABIB SRDO 1.88 is Sourdough bread.
WINCO MED CHDR 4.98 is a 3lb block of medium cheddar cheese
WINCO SLCD CHS 2.34 is a package of sliced provolone cheese
LETTUCE ICEBR .98 is lettuce
MISSION FLR TRI 2.78 (I don't know what this is)
5# ONIONS 1.98 5lb bag of onions
TOMATO HOT HOUSE .98/lb Tomatoes
CNTRY CRK SPRD 3.46 is butter.

That's more than one pic, a time stamp, still no comparison to the earlier cost of the item, and a sample size of more than one item.

What we could compare is apples to apples, if users have prices of their local stores, with similar or the same food items, with their local minimum wage listed.

The problem with this kind of analysis is that it's pointless. The market for food products and the market for unskilled labor are two different markets.

If you imagine a supply and demand curve for something like a fast food value meal, where the demand line represents the prices everybody is willing to pay for that delicious burger value meal; more people willing to pay very little and only a few willing to pay a lot. The supply line represents the prices that local businesses are willing to provide the value meals. If you increase the variable costs, you shift the supply curve down. This means they sell less, not necessarily that they raise prices. It's true that they can theoretically sell less by raising the prices, but it's just as likely less of them are willing to sell at the price that most people are willing to pay. So you see less value meals being sold.

At some point, that's going to cost some jobs. The job of economists is to figure out exactly how much they can get away with before people start losing jobs. Obviously the economists in Washington failed to explain this to the voters who pushed this shit through anyway.

Labor is a market just like milk. If you increase the price for labor, then less people are willing to purchase it. Supply and demand applies to labor too. Who knew??

jediuser598

Post by jediuser598 » Fri Jun 02, 2017 2:03 pm

DBTrek, weren't you saying some time ago that the job market in Seattle is thus, "If you can't find a job, you're just not trying." Something along those lines, with the minimum wage now being $15 an hour, is that still true, is there still a surplus of jobs in Seattle?
-Ben Johnson

DBTrek

Post by DBTrek » Fri Jun 02, 2017 2:06 pm

jediuser598 wrote:DBTrek, weren't you saying some time ago that the job market in Seattle is thus, "If you can't find a job, you're just not trying." Something along those lines, with the minimum wage now being $15 an hour, is that still true, is there still a surplus of jobs in Seattle?
It's not the minimum wage jobs that make Seattle a good place to live.
It's the tech jobs, the manufacturing jobs, and the housing market.

You can work minimum wage jobs in any city.