SARS Pt. 2 - Wuhan Boogaloo

User avatar
Speaker to Animals
Speaker
Posts: 38497
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2016 5:59 pm

Re: SARS Pt. 2 - Wuhan Boogaloo

Post by Speaker to Animals » Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:59 pm

Montegriffo wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:46 pm
Speaker to Animals wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 12:35 pm
pineapplemike wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 12:29 pm
so, you single for valentine's day this year or what :romance-admire:
Yup.

I mean, I am dating again, but I am broken hearted.

Sorry to hear that. I was genuinely happy for you when you thought you had met ''the one''.
Oh, she is. She isn't likely going to find a dude more compatible than me, and vice versa. We shall see what happens. Papa Bear can smash younger ladies day in and day out.

User avatar
Montegriffo
Nuke
Posts: 17667
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2016 7:14 am

Re: SARS Pt. 2 - Wuhan Boogaloo

Post by Montegriffo » Fri Feb 14, 2020 2:03 pm

Speaker to Animals wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:59 pm
Montegriffo wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:46 pm
Speaker to Animals wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 12:35 pm


Yup.

I mean, I am dating again, but I am broken hearted.

Sorry to hear that. I was genuinely happy for you when you thought you had met ''the one''.
Oh, she is. She isn't likely going to find a dude more compatible than me, and vice versa. We shall see what happens. Papa Bear can smash younger ladies day in and day out.
So, have you changed your metaphorical Facebook profile to ''it's complicated''?
For legal reasons, we are not threatening to destroy U.S. government property with our glorious medieval siege engine. But if we wanted to, we could. But we won’t. But we could.
Image

User avatar
Speaker to Animals
Speaker
Posts: 38497
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2016 5:59 pm

Re: SARS Pt. 2 - Wuhan Boogaloo

Post by Speaker to Animals » Fri Feb 14, 2020 2:13 pm

Montegriffo wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 2:03 pm
Speaker to Animals wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:59 pm
Montegriffo wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:46 pm


Sorry to hear that. I was genuinely happy for you when you thought you had met ''the one''.
Oh, she is. She isn't likely going to find a dude more compatible than me, and vice versa. We shall see what happens. Papa Bear can smash younger ladies day in and day out.
So, have you changed your metaphorical Facebook profile to ''it's complicated''?
It's changed to open for business. We shall see how long this lasts.

User avatar
Hastur
Trek
Posts: 4591
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2016 2:43 am

Re: SARS Pt. 2 - Wuhan Boogaloo

Post by Hastur » Fri Feb 14, 2020 2:19 pm

I'm selfishly glad you're back StA.

You should listen to the Sweeny vs Bard podcast.

Everything is religion. The Nazis and the Stalinists didn't think they followed a religion but they did. False religions. Organizing human interaction is religion. Total rationality is a pipe dream. Very few people know enough to let science guide every desission. It's not a practical solution. Individualism is also just a false religion. No man is an island.

We need to build a new religion that will guide us going forward.
Image

An nescis, mi fili, quantilla prudentia mundus regatur? - Axel Oxenstierna

Nie lügen die Menschen so viel wie nach einer Jagd, während eines Krieges oder vor Wahlen. - Otto von Bismarck

heydaralon
Smitty
Posts: 7569
Joined: Thu Mar 16, 2017 7:54 pm

Re: SARS Pt. 2 - Wuhan Boogaloo

Post by heydaralon » Fri Feb 14, 2020 6:12 pm

Hastur wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 2:19 pm
ndividualism is also just a false religion. No man is an island.

We need to build a new religion that will guide us going forward.
There are some Stalinists and Nazis that you should meet. They have a way forward.

You are 100% right that all ideas man concocts including individualism are religions of sorts. The difference is, collectivism is still a religion and yields shitty results just about 100% of the time.

Its kind of funny, because every single pernicious thinker from Rousseau to Marx rejects individualism like you do. What never occurs to them is that their cure is worse than the disease. You aren't going to be saved by the collective. Quite the opposite in fact.

There are not solutions for inequality, greed, etc. They are human nature.
Shikata ga nai

heydaralon
Smitty
Posts: 7569
Joined: Thu Mar 16, 2017 7:54 pm

Re: SARS Pt. 2 - Wuhan Boogaloo

Post by heydaralon » Fri Feb 14, 2020 6:20 pm

To be honest, its kind of amazing to me how many people want to jettison personal liberty because they don't agree with how people live their lives. To me it is especially ironic, because everyone on this forum is a fucked weirdo that society does not agree with. If we abandoned liberty, we'd all be in gulags.
Shikata ga nai

User avatar
SuburbanFarmer
Nuke
Posts: 20241
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2016 6:50 am
Location: Ohio

Re: SARS Pt. 2 - Wuhan Boogaloo

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Fri Feb 14, 2020 6:28 pm

If Thinking in religious terms, this comes down to the belief in your personal importance vs the greater good.

The motive toward collectivism is an ancient one. It’s what got out out of eating shit in caves. It’s the tribal model that we all long for on some level. It’s truly The Thing that sets us apart from the animals.

The issue is merely where to draw the tribal line. It’s true that if we all embraced a global consciousness, humanity would be in a better place. It’s of course true that, if we really tried to live in equality, all would be better off.

However, it’s human nature that also ruins the vision. Greed, corruption, pride, sloth - all the classics are inherently the downfall of a group cohesion.

So, the only way to enforce it is with a strict religious code of personal behavior. Even a messianic figure to show the example. Then the people themselves enforce compliance, through social norms and group shaming.

Collectivism has history been the domain of the Big Three religions. However, modern attempts have all tried to emulate the model without the religious component, through brute force and patriotism.

In that light, it’s really just the Old Collectivists abhorring the New School. Both equally capable of devastation, simply using different control mechanisms.
SJWs are a natural consequence of corporatism.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

User avatar
GloryofGreece
Trek
Posts: 2652
Joined: Fri Feb 17, 2017 8:29 am

Re: SARS Pt. 2 - Wuhan Boogaloo

Post by GloryofGreece » Fri Feb 14, 2020 6:59 pm

SuburbanFarmer wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 6:28 pm
If Thinking in religious terms, this comes down to the belief in your personal importance vs the greater good.

The motive toward collectivism is an ancient one. It’s what got out out of eating shit in caves. It’s the tribal model that we all long for on some level. It’s truly The Thing that sets us apart from the animals.

The issue is merely where to draw the tribal line. It’s true that if we all embraced a global consciousness, humanity would be in a better place. It’s of course true that, if we really tried to live in equality, all would be better off.

However, it’s human nature that also ruins the vision. Greed, corruption, pride, sloth - all the classics are inherently the downfall of a group cohesion.

So, the only way to enforce it is with a strict religious code of personal behavior. Even a messianic figure to show the example. Then the people themselves enforce compliance, through social norms and group shaming.

Collectivism has history been the domain of the Big Three religions. However, modern attempts have all tried to emulate the model without the religious component, through brute force and patriotism.

In that light, it’s really just the Old Collectivists abhorring the New School. Both equally capable of devastation, simply using different control mechanisms.
Psychopaths vs altruistics one on one win Everytime but as groups or tribes altruism beats a group of psychopaths . You can really only be altruistic with your in group. You turn the other cheek for your brother not your enemy .
The good, the true, & the beautiful

User avatar
Montegriffo
Nuke
Posts: 17667
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2016 7:14 am

Re: SARS Pt. 2 - Wuhan Boogaloo

Post by Montegriffo » Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:02 pm

Speaker to Animals wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:00 pm


One UK case ordered a fucking uber to the ER. Fucking moron. Might have to disown those guys. I dunno.
Now known as a fluber.
For legal reasons, we are not threatening to destroy U.S. government property with our glorious medieval siege engine. But if we wanted to, we could. But we won’t. But we could.
Image

User avatar
Hastur
Trek
Posts: 4591
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2016 2:43 am

Re: SARS Pt. 2 - Wuhan Boogaloo

Post by Hastur » Sat Feb 15, 2020 2:32 am

heydaralon wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 6:12 pm
Hastur wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 2:19 pm
ndividualism is also just a false religion. No man is an island.

We need to build a new religion that will guide us going forward.
There are some Stalinists and Nazis that you should meet. They have a way forward.

You are 100% right that all ideas man concocts including individualism are religions of sorts. The difference is, collectivism is still a religion and yields shitty results just about 100% of the time.

Its kind of funny, because every single pernicious thinker from Rousseau to Marx rejects individualism like you do. What never occurs to them is that their cure is worse than the disease. You aren't going to be saved by the collective. Quite the opposite in fact.

There are not solutions for inequality, greed, etc. They are human nature.
The problem with all the collectivism is when it gets coercive. It has to be volontary. Otherwise you will end with a boy farao.
Image

An nescis, mi fili, quantilla prudentia mundus regatur? - Axel Oxenstierna

Nie lügen die Menschen so viel wie nach einer Jagd, während eines Krieges oder vor Wahlen. - Otto von Bismarck